Boo Blasters on Boo Hill (BBOBH)

LetsRide

Coming from someone who loved the Smurf ride and someone who loves the Haunted Mansion even more, I always had disdain for Phantom Theater. To me, it was not as fun as Smurfs and seemed like a cheap Haunted Mansion rip off. For a seasonal park, it wasn't bad, but you can't tell that to a jaded 12 year old, like I was, when PT came in and exorcised my Smurfs. Of course, it wasn't as bad as the Haunted Castle Ride at Magic World in Pigeon Forge, TN; but neither is a stick in the eye.

I think what I miss most are the boats and the little hill at the end of the ride to finish it off. I could have ridden that ride over and over. I wonder how my 34 year old self would now relate to that ride if it was still here. But yeah, back on topic, PT > BBOBH all the way.

• Like 6

Adding my young opinion to this thread lol. I'm 16, and and as far back as I can remember it was scooby doo. I was terrified of it when I was little, but I loved the Scooby Doo theme if it. When they changed it to BBOBH I was really disappointed, but I think it's slightly better as far as theming (except the random garden at the end). I think it serves it's purpose quite well since most people think it's part of Planet Snoopy, therefor assume it's really for the kids. And I'm sure it's thrilling for little kids. I would love to see something (possibly in Action Zone.....sorry had to say it) that had an actual haunted house/ride sort of theme though.

The greatest thing about the ride to me...speaking of the building and its past...is the memories of riding it with my parents. In the boat. The boat was key to me. And still is. I'm late 30's now...but the joy of my parents when I was a kid, and the total joy on their face...not knowing it at the time ...is worth all things.

That building is special...

And I'm not saying it clearly enough.

• Like 7

Snoopy is a registered trademark of PEANUTS WORLDWIDE LLC. As such, it is always capitalized. Planet Snoopy is used by license by Cedar Fair LP or its affiliated companies. As such, it is always capitalized.

For those constantly getting terped here you go :P, such a pretty disclaimer...hehehe

All terms mentioned in this post that are known to be or are suspected of being trademarks or service marks have been appropriately capitalized. This poster cannot attest to the accuracy of this information, and all terms have been correct to the best of the posters knowledge. Use of a term in this post should not be regarded as affecting the validity of any trademark of service mark. All trademarks are property of their respected owners and any affiliates.

I win, I win na na na na boo boo :D

A legit haunted house in the layout of a dark ride that is open during regular park operation (not just during Haunt) would be pretty legit. As you stated, AZ would be a great place for it too, seeing as there will be a bit of empty land even after Banshee's construction is complete.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I like classic haunted houses, not the new found "lazer pointy things" that we see today. PT was special on the fact that it played like the Haunted Mansion, it was a spoof off of a scary idea towards the family. PT was a classic, that sadly I forget if I ever ventured into the place. Though, I do like lively props, not those of the wooden cut out kind. I have an certain liking to these attractions, I really do, but BBOBH just doesn't cut up to any kind to the classic. I do hope that with the nostalgic movement, and the more "hauntified" feeling to KI with 2014, our PT can return. With that, you also have to understand that BBOBH can never be in the same category, that is due to the course being half of what it was previously.

BB1, looking at this engagement ring stuck in the ground.

The course? Half the cars were removed, but the course?

Terp, who likes to ask questions

If I am correct, which I believe I am, the CarnEvil attraction was once the PT course. I could be wrong, and communications on my part, on the course and the cars, but that is what I knew prior to the topic.

CarnEvil resides in the former Enchanted Theater immediately next door to Boo Boo's Blasters, and behind The Great Pumpkin Coaster. The course of PT remained exactly the same even during the theme change to Haunted Castle/Boo Hill. What changed was that the Enchanted Voyage originally took residence of both locations to which Paramount split into two separate properties; the left side became an Omnimover, the right a small indoor theater.

1) I didn't actually ride PT until its last year of operation, but I wasn't particularly scared riding it. I was 13 at the time and wouldn't get majorly into haunted houses for another two years. I liked it, however Tomb Raider basically stomped it into the ground in terms of the overall experience and theme (Islands of Adventure had spoiled me).

2) I'd go so far as to say they ought to make the attraction larger by using the Enchanted Theater space and get rid of CarnEvil. They might, realistically-speaking, add the technology from the upcoming Guardian attraction into Boo Boo's (see 4 for my opinion).

3) I unfortunately missed out on most of the new effects because I went in the middle of the season, especially the skull projection effect. That said, heck yeah I'd ride it more if everything worked. To be honest, though, I always ride it at least once every time I'm there, and sometimes I don't even use the guns and just sit and watch.

4) I'd have to actually ride Guardian before I made an actual decision on whether or not I'd want to see it come to KI. Right now, with the basic renderings on their site, it looks worse than what Halloween Productions does with their dark rides (the group behind Garfield's Nightmare at Kennywood and also The Darkness haunted house in St. Louis). If there are any external set pieces that pepper the ride, I'll be fine. But if it's literally just a bunch of screens and no thematic transitions between them, then it's a waste of $10 million.

5) No. The frustrating part is that Busch Gardens Williamsburg has a Spiderman clone with the same technology, which throws a monkey wrench into the whole "seasonal parks can't pull off Universal/Disney-style theming" mantra. Even the simplest carny ride at the Magic Kingdom is intricately themed and detailed. The closest the park has come to even scratching the surface of immerse thematic rides are Flight of Fear, Tomb Raider, and (to a point) Stunt Track.

• Like 4

The greatest thing about the ride to me...speaking of the building and its past...is the memories of riding it with my parents. In the boat. The boat was key to me. And still is. I'm late 30's now...but the joy of my parents when I was a kid, and the total joy on their face...not knowing it at the time ...is worth all things.

That building is special...

And I'm not saying it clearly enough.

Especially if your parents knew the cartoons featured.

• Like 1

I like classic haunted houses, not the new found "lazer pointy things" that we see today. PT was special on the fact that it played like the Haunted Mansion, it was a spoof off of a scary idea towards the family. PT was a classic, that sadly I forget if I ever ventured into the place. Though, I do like lively props, not those of the wooden cut out kind. I have an certain liking to these attractions, I really do, but BBOBH just doesn't cut up to any kind to the classic. I do hope that with the nostalgic movement, and the more "hauntified" feeling to KI with 2014, our PT can return. With that, you also have to understand that BBOBH can never be in the same category, that is due to the course being half of what it was previously.

BB1, looking at this engagement ring stuck in the ground.

The course? Half the cars were removed, but the course?

Terp, who likes to ask questions

If I am correct, which I believe I am, the CarnEvil attraction was once the PT course. I could be wrong, and communications on my part, on the course and the cars, but that is what I knew prior to the topic.

CarnEvil resides in the former Enchanted Theater immediately next door to Boo Boo's Blasters, and behind The Great Pumpkin Coaster. The course of PT remained exactly the same even during the theme change to Haunted Castle/Boo Hill. What changed was that the Enchanted Voyage originally took residence of both locations to which Paramount split into two separate properties; the left side became an Omnimover, the right a small indoor theater.

1) I didn't actually ride PT until its last year of operation, but I wasn't particularly scared riding it. I was 13 at the time and wouldn't get majorly into haunted houses for another two years. I liked it, however Tomb Raider basically stomped it into the ground in terms of the overall experience and theme (Islands of Adventure had spoiled me).

2) I'd go so far as to say they ought to make the attraction larger by using the Enchanted Theater space and get rid of CarnEvil. They might, realistically-speaking, add the technology from the upcoming Guardian attraction into Boo Boo's (see 4 for my opinion).

3) I unfortunately missed out on most of the new effects because I went in the middle of the season, especially the skull projection effect. That said, heck yeah I'd ride it more if everything worked. To be honest, though, I always ride it at least once every time I'm there, and sometimes I don't even use the guns and just sit and watch.

4) I'd have to actually ride Guardian before I made an actual decision on whether or not I'd want to see it come to KI. Right now, with the basic renderings on their site, it looks worse than what Halloween Productions does with their dark rides (the group behind Garfield's Nightmare at Kennywood and also The Darkness haunted house in St. Louis). If there are any external set pieces that pepper the ride, I'll be fine. But if it's literally just a bunch of screens and no thematic transitions between them, then it's a waste of $10 million.

5) No. The frustrating part is that Busch Gardens Williamsburg has a Spiderman clone with the same technology, which throws a monkey wrench into the whole "seasonal parks can't pull off Universal/Disney-style theming" mantra. Even the simplest carny ride at the Magic Kingdom is intricately themed and detailed. The closest the park has come to even scratching the surface of immerse thematic rides are Flight of Fear, Tomb Raider, and (to a point) Stunt Track.

I would love something like Darkastle at our park put I don't see them throwing the money at something like it, especially right after Banshee. Banshee is our most expensive to date at $24M where as Darkastle was around $32M. And that was almost a decade ago so likely cost a little more today. And Busch Gardens is kind of a unique park in that they are so focused on a theme while still being seasonal. Most other seasonal parks will only do a loose theme and not put the money into it that Busch Gardens does so I'd expect theme to spend more on an immersive dark ride than someone like Cedar Fair. Especially now that there is a cheaper option like Wonder Mountain's Guardian. Still can hope for something similar to it one day.

I do agree that Guardian would be much better with physical sets between the screens and if they did that then I'd be perfectly happy with that as a ride as well.

• Like 3

For me, my love for PT comes pretty much 100% from nostalgia. If I had never ridden PT and it opened as a brand new attraction next year, I'd probably think it was pretty lame. But as a child, I loved it, and loved it for several years.

Same goes for the Smurf ride. There was something about the water, the boats, and honestly, the smell of the ride that just did the trick for me. The ride probably sucked, I'm not old enough to really remember, but just the fact that there you were on a boat inside of a building and watching animatronics was so different and cool to me at a young age.

People are always commenting that they wish PT would return because that is what they grew up with, and it will always hold a special place in their heart. Even if the ride wasn't the best, they had great memories on it and just one more go-around on that thing would bring those memories back. So unless you put a GREAT ride in there in its place, people are always going to say they wish PT was there instead.

Put a GREAT ride in there though, and those comments will go away.

• Like 5

LOVED PT! I believe I was 13 when it opened. I was scared of course but the older I got I thought "this is kinda cheesy." BB just ok. I just wonder if they are trying to keep the scary themes mild because of it being so close to the children's area. If it was up to me I'd say let's change the theme to get up with the times....TIME FOR SOME ZOMBIE SHOOTING!! Maybe a "Walking Dead" type of theme! :D

• Like 3

LOVED PT! I believe I was 13 when it opened. I was scared of course but the older I got I thought "this is kinda cheesy." BB just ok.  I just wonder if they are trying to keep the scary themes mild because of it being so close to the children's area.  If it was up to me I'd say let's change the theme to get up with the times....TIME FOR SOME ZOMBIE SHOOTING!!  Maybe a "Walking Dead" type of theme! :D

That could be interesting :)
  • Like 1

Same goes for the Smurf ride. There was something about the water, the boats, and honestly, the smell of the ride that just did the trick for me. The ride probably sucked, I'm not old enough to really remember, but just the fact that there you were on a boat inside of a building and watching animatronics was so different and cool to me at a young age.

....Put a GREAT ride in there though, and those comments will go away.

Nailed it.

same reason why "Small World" has a line every day at Magic Kingdom.

Nothing special about it... just a classic ride that has stayed the same for 40+ years.

If the original Enchanted Voyage existed today, it would have a respectable line every well-attended day. that being said, the characters the ride was build on no longer are contracted by the park... and not sure you could get an entire ride with PEANUTS scenes.

• Like 1

I disagree. With as many comic strips, movies, televised specials, and a short-lived television series, there's certainly enough material to pull something off. After all, they've been around far longer than The Smurfs had been around when their ride opened. (That's even including the initial comic strip and long-forgotten movie, The Smurfs and the Magic Flute, both of which pre-date the Hanna-Barbera series.) They could almost mimic that ride, with the seasonal themes:

Linus with the wheelbarrow full of Valentines. (A Charlie Brown Valentine)

Charlie Brown, the pitcher, being knocked over by a baseball for Summer. (A Boy Named Charlie Brown)

Linus waiting for The Great Pumpkin for Halloween. (It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown)

The gang sitting at a table, outside, having celebrating Thanksgiving. (It's Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown)

Charlie sulking by that twig he calls a Christmas tree, or even the gang standing around, singing, in front of the fully decorated tree. (A Charlie Brown Christmas)

That's just a few examples. Lucy's therapist booth could be sitting in front of the entrance and the piano-based melody, officially known as "Linus and Lucy," but unofficially called "The Peanuts' Theme," could be played throughout the ride. This wouldn't be too dissimilar from The Smurfs' Enchanted Voyage.

• Like 10

I disagree. I think you could get an entire ride with the Peanuts characters. There are enough well-known holiday specials, all you'd to do is take some iconic scenes from those specials and create a ride. It could be something like Peanuts through the seasons or something. You could see Linus in the pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin, you could see the "Thanksgiving Feast" prepared by Charlie Brown and Snoopy, you could visit behind the scenes at the Christmas Pageant and see everyone practicing. In between the various holidays or seasons, you could have some well-known scenes like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football, Snoopy playing Red Baron, and Lucy giving her "5 cent" advice. I think there is just so much you could do with the source material. Plus, add original voice tracks, score, and animatronics and I think you'd have a pretty memorable ride!

• Like 8