Spring Break 2013 PTR of Disneyworld and Universal

Ride On_17

Ok, so I know you're probably wondering why I'm posting a trip report that was from a trip way back in April. Well, it was before I joined KIC and I guess I just never thought of posting it before. So I decided now would be a good time to share it, since it invovles such well known and well liked parks, and I thought it would help temporarily cure some of your off season blues. It won't be extremely detailed and I probably won't mention every ride and attraction I went on since this was a while ago, but I hope you enjoy it!

On April 1, 2013, my marching band departed on our 22 hour bus ride down to Orlando. I had never been to Disney or Universal before (and Florida0 so I couldn't wait. After meeting at the school early in the morning for baggage checks, instrument drop off, and other various things, the charter buses were loaded and ready to go.

IMG_1702_zps04fd1249.jpg

I was excited since we drove right past Carowinds, and both my mom (who chaperoned) and I agreed that we'd need to make a trip to that park sometime. After traveling all day Monday, all night Monday, and into Tuesday morning, we finally arrived at our first destination: Disney's Hollywood Studios. Everyone loved the weather. It was in the 80s and sunny--a huge difference from chilly, cloudy NE Ohio. We had a fun day to explore and ride whatever we wanted. The Tower of Terror and Rock'n'Roller Coaster were fun.

IMG_1730_zps5a2bc6d3.jpg

IMG_1736_zps27288e90.jpg

IMG_1738_zpsea17c87f.jpg

The Studio Backlot Tour was pretty cool too.

IMG_1751_zps1b5a4c52.jpg

IMG_1763_zps718b97eb.jpg

After a long day full of fun, we had time to explore Downtown Disney. I loved it a lot. I thought it was such a clever idea to have one central area to shop, eat, and just hang out nad have fun. Very smart move, Disney. Then we had dinner at Planet Hollywood and were even recognized on its giant screen.

IMG_1795_zps9517bded.jpg

IMG_1819_zpsc81851ba.jpg

The next day we went to EPCOT. The landscaping was beautiful between all the topiaries and flowers. I enjoyed all the rides, especially Soarin' and Test Track. Partway through the day we did have to leave but it was to head nearby for a music clinic with Disney musicians. We got to rehearse for a while and then recorded several songs. It was a blast and it was also an experience of a lifetime. We then returned to the park and had several more hours to ride and explore before watching the Illuminations show, which was very cool. However, we did get stuck on Spaceship Earth but thankfully only for about 5 minutes.

IMG_1854_zpsed857153.jpg

IMG_1861_zps75cdc443.jpg

IMG_1995_zpsdcb2974c.jpg

Since our time was cut short due to the music clinic, many of us did not have time to fully explore the park, such as the entire other half of the lake with all the different countries. So quickly after the Illuminations show was over, my mom, me, and several other kids pretty much fast walk/jogged through all the countries and made it back to the buses in time. Back at the hotel we had a brief chance to swim in the pool, which was a nice way to end the day.

Then the next day, Thursday, was our big day at Magic Kingdom. My group all loved Space Mountain and give it a thumbs up, and I also enjoyed Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Splash Mountain. This park is just magical and fun no matter how old you are. Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean were other favorites. It did rain a little in the afternoon, but the weather cleared up right before it was time for us to meet to get ready to march in the Main Street Electrical Parade.

IMG_2033_zpsbaefbe5c.jpg

IMG_2043_zps4071209e.jpg

IMG_2101_zps8e604f11.jpg

IMG_2115_zps2da9b971.jpg

IMG_2118_zpsa07582fb.jpg

My grandparents from New Jersey had been wanting to go to Disney for a while (my grandma had never been before) and when they heard my band would be marching in the parade over spring break, they planned to come out while I'd be here. We met up for a while and I was so happy they came. Soon it was time to head behind the scenes to get ready and change into uniforms. Unfortunately, I can't talk about anything relating to the "backstage" part of Disney. We weren't even allowed to take our cell phones out at all, and we had to swear to not say a word about what we saw. Disney wants to keep their parks magical and special so it makes sense that they don't want very many people to know what it's like in the behind the scenes areas. It was pretty cool, though.

Before we knew it, it was time to line up. My heart was pounding and I was a little nervous, but most of all I was excited. Not many people can say they got to march down Main Street at Magic Kingdom in the Electrical Parade. I just took in the moment and took nothing for granted, realized I'd never be able to do this again. Then it was out turn. The drum cadence started, I took a deep break, and started marching. As soon as I passed through the gates and entered the town square, I was greeted with a massive crowd of cameras, cheers, and smiles. I'll never forget that moment. I can still visualize it and I still get chills. Then the best part was once we were on the straight-away part of the street, facing the camera. We were lines by rows and rows of people and the shops with lights strung around every roof line and eve. Best of all, dead ahead was Cinderellla's Castle all lit up. This truly was an incredible experience. It went by so fast and before we knew it, we were already packing up and getting our uniforms off. But this was an experience that I will never forget and will always cherish.

Then we went back in the park and watched the firework show and the color and animated displays projected on the castle. This had been an awesome day.

IMG_2163_zps853a6437.jpg

IMG_2215_zpsd9f5c32e.jpg

IMG_2224_zps3aa64612.jpg

On our final day on the trip, Friday, we went to Universal. We could go to both parks, both Islands of Adventure and the regular Universal Studios, freely and as often as we wanted throughout the day. I started at IoA and I sure was impressed. By far my favorite part was the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Words can't describe how amazing it is. No small detail went unnoticed, and the Hogwarts Castle loomed overhead. It could even be seen from on the other side of the park. Dragon Challenge was a great coaster (I went on the red side) and the Forbidden Journey dark ride was incredible. The mix of technology, special effects, and the moving ride itself was so innovative and unique. Of course, I had to try Butter beer and it was delicious. The Jurassic Park water ride and Spiderman among others were also fun. I loved the Hulk--that was an intense, crazy ride that I'd go on again in a heartbeat.

IMG_2255_zps785121e9.jpg

IMG_2257_zpsf3b7ae4f.jpg

IMG_2264_zps5c481582.jpg

IMG_2270_zps0d4ef4a8.jpg

IMG_2271_zps0487b516.jpg

IMG_2274_zps037f8e7e.jpg

My group then went to the other park, Universal Studios. There some fun rides there too, such as Despicable Me, Rip Ride Rockit, Revenge of the Mummy, and Men in Black, just to name a few. I can't wait for Diagon Alley, the next Harry Potter world phase, to open it. We could see some of the construction going on. Hopefully I'll get back down there soon to check it out.

IMG_2278_zps195c6b7c.jpg

IMG_2280_zpse8be7c8f.jpg

That night we had tickets to see the Blue Man Group, and I loved every second of it. If you've never seen them before and ever get a chance to, do it. You won't regret it. It was one of the best things I've ever seen. So humorous, so clever, and overall just so creative and well done.

IMG_2281_zps1ca94b01.jpg

As soon as the show was over we boarded the buses and began our trip home. We travele all Friday night and all Saturday, getting back to the school late Saturday night. It had been an amazing trip, but it went by too fast. I made memories that I'll have with me for the rest of my life, and I can't wait to go back. And of course we couldn't return home without some humor and Buckeye pride at a rest area... :)

IMG_2304_zps0ee5a803.jpg

• Like 18

I am so jealous I want to see the Harry Potter area soooo bad! Perhaps when Diagon Alley opens up my fiance and I will make a visit. Sounds like a great time thanks for posting!

P.s. Though Disney world has few intense attractions I agree that the atmosphere is so magical (I especially love Animal Kingdom and Epcot) it does not matter your age it is a wonderful time.

• Like 5

I was sort of like that too. I kept thinking how it was just a place for little kids. Boy, was I wrong. Sure, the parks (especially Disney, not so much Universal) are geared toward younger children and families but there are things to do for absolutely everyone. The parks are just so much fun, and the staff is so freindly and each one wants to make your day special. I forgot to put this in the report, but the staff went above and beyond my expectations. Disney is definitely top notch in customer service.

• Like 3

You definitely have to go. I'm even ready to go back already. There is still so much more to do and several other parks that I didn't get to experience. I love Universal for the thrills and innovative dark rides, but the WDW parks just have something special about them. The whole atmosphere can't be topped anywhere else.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm quite jealous of you and your high school's experience. My sophomore year was supposed to be the Disney year for us...however, we got a new band director that decided to enter us into the Auto Zone Liberty Bowl, to compete and perform in the half time show with Little Richie. While it was an interesting experience, most of us weren't into it. So those of us who were still in the band 2 years later, my senior year, were getting excited as we thought that the trip in 2006 was going to be Disney finally. We were wrong, she entered us into the Gator Bowl to compete and to play songs of Lynrd Skynrd. Most of us were quite bored with that trip too.

Two years after I graduated, the band took another trip, guess where......Disney World!!

I'm glad that you had a wonderful time. I really want to get back down there and to Universal/IOA/Sea World/Fun Spot.

• Like 6

I've been very lucky. I realize that I've been able to do things that many people haven't and I take non of it for granted. You definitely need to make a trip there. Next time I go I definitely want to go to Sea World too. I've always wanted to go so it was hard when we drove right past the entrance.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice trip report! I had my first Florida trip after I graduated from HS (in 2011) and I had a blast! Wasn't a big fan of Disney, but we kinda rushed all four parks in two days, but I absolutely LOVED IOA! Spider Man was amazing and so was WWOHP. I am glad you had a great time and I cannot wait when I have the chance to go back and give Disney another chance. It was too miserably hot to enjoy it when we were there the first time haha!

• Like 1