No Loose Articles in the Banshee Station

Young Gunz

I just don't care for the idea of renting by hour for locker use. For me, I feel like KI could use more Daily rental lockers. I would be more likely to buy a locker for the entire day if they had more of them offered. I know there are times when I have gone up to rent one and have been told that all of the daily lockers have been rented out. When I go with a few friends we usually have someone bring a bag so we can all put our stuff in like keys, phones hats etc. while we ride a few rides so that way our pockets aren't bulging with our items in them. Plus if we put our glasses/sun glasses in our pockets we would then have to worry about our glasses hoping they won’t break. I usually hold my glasses in my hand but there have been times when they have broken on the ride while I was holding them. While I agree that it would help make the ridership increase not having bins, my group of friends and I usually use them. Luckily I have bought a few shorts with cargo pockets that stay fastened during the off season. I can see both the good and bad for not having the bins along with the good and the bad with the current locker rental prices.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of building it into any price structure, be it general admission or season pass. As I stated before the current system is fine, just overly aggressive on pricing. I sincerely believe revenue could actually increase with lower pricing. I have been in the park with friends that have stated," Wow, $2/ hour, really? I'd get a locker, but that is ridiculous."

The current system would be fine, if the patron didn't feel as if the park was gouging them. Other than the most basic of maintenance, and initial installation, there is almost no cost to the park.

Whether it be a flat fee, or a more reasonable price per hour, the patron feeling that it is a "fair deal", is the problem. IMHO.

With going so frequently, we rarely buy souvenirs. When we do, we buy them at the end of the day.

I think building smaller lockers would be sweet. Small lockers large enough to hold wallets, keys and phones. I am thinking a small PO Box at the Post Office or a small safe deposit type box. It could slide in and out. You could easily have a hundred or two of them in a small amount of space. You would just have to be mindful not all people are 6 ft tall.

I think another solution to the cups is having an add on feature to a ticket or season pass. Scan the card and get a drink. You can even up charge like you do for a souvenir cup each season. $13 per season pass, get $1 drinks or free drinks on certain days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

... Other than the most basic of maintenance, and initial installation, there is almost no cost to the park.

Whether it be a flat fee, or a more reasonable price per hour, the patron feeling that it is a "fair deal", is the problem. IMHO.

There's almost no capital cost to a park because (usually) the park doesn't own them. Most electronic lockers are owned by a locker company that pays the host park a percentage of reveune.

I will also say there is way more labor and technical support involved in electronic lockers than most guests observe.

• Like 5

I would love to not have to bring my phone but I still have to answer to my parents and they want to know were I am. However there will be a day where I will be wallet only.

Good luck with that. I'm less than three weeks from my 27th birthday and I still have to carry my phone in the park for the same reason.

• Like 5

Yes, the front gate lockers provide unlimited all-day access for one price.

EDIT: Also, if you think you'll only need to get into the locker two or three times during the day, it would be cheaper to grab one of the old coin-operated $2 single-use lockers over by the ladder game. You have to pay each time you open and close it, but if you only open it three times, taking everything out the third time, you only pay $6, compared to $12 or $15 for an all-day locker. Mrs. No Chickens did this on closing day last year with a backpack full of bobbleheads; $2 locked them up for the entire day since we didn't have to open it until the end of the day.

• Like 4

EDIT: Also, if you think you'll only need to get into the locker two or three times during the day, it would be cheaper to grab one of the old coin-operated $2 single-use lockers over by the ladder game. You have to pay each time you open and close it, but if you only open it three times, taking everything out the third time, you only pay $6, compared to $12 or $15 for an all-day locker. Mrs. No Chickens did this on closing day last year with a backpack full of bobbleheads; $2 locked them up for the entire day since we didn't have to open it until the end of the day.

This will only work if those still exist next year. I recall a time just a couple short years ago when EVERY locker in the park was of that variety, and now only the one set of them are. Also keep in mind, should they still be there and you use them, it would be wise to remove your items before 10 PM, or if you absolutely MUST get in that last 10 PM ride, pick a ride in Coney Mall or Oktoberfest, because security probably won't be too keen on you walking about after closing time unless you are headed for the main gate.

This also seems like a good place for homestar92's guide to Theme Park Penny-Pinching through the use of cargo pants.

Remove anything from your wallet that won't be needed for a day at KI. I learned this after an unfortunate incident on Firehawk required me to get a new Student ID card and cancel both my Debit and Credit cards. Now the only things that stay in my wallet are my gold pass, some cash if I don't plan on spending much, or my credit card if I do plan on spending a decent chunk of money. My driver's license travels to the park with me, but gets stored in my glove compartment upon arrival. I also keep an extra pair of glasses in my glove compartment at all times, so that if anything happens to my main pair, I can still get home. Also, regarding wallets, if you have an expensive or sentimentally-valuable wallet, I'd recommend getting a cheap one for theme park use.

With regards to money, there is a good general rule to follow. If you are budgeting yourself $50 or less, you should probably carry cash. But if you know you will spend more, it actually makes more sense to bring a credit or debit card. The reason for this is the Fair Credit Billing Act, which states that if you report a lost or stolen card within two business days of learning that it has been lost or stolen, the most unauthorized charges for which you can be held liable is a total of $50.

Phones are a toss-up around here. Many users, such as Terpy, do not typically bring a cell phone into theme parks for any number of reasons. Some of us, such as myself, need to have one with us for some reason or another (such as a mother who refuses to believe that her responsible 22-year-old son is far more likely to be hurt or killed driving to the park than he is on any rides therein, and therefore worries if she does not hear from him periodically). If you stick to a wallet, car keys, and possibly a cell phone, then cargo shorts should be perfect to hold your stuff. Zippers that run the length of the pocket are probably best, but if yours are velcro or a button in the middle, leaving the ends unfastened, safety pins for reinforcement can help ease your mind.

Drinking water can save you from carrying a souvenir cup, and water is free at all concession stands and restaurants in the park. If you do choose to use a souvenir cup, then know that you will have to get a locker or leave it with a non-rider for Firehawk and probably Banshee.

If you plan on riding White Water Canyon, Congo Falls, or Race For Your Life Charlie Brown, and you DON'T wear flip-flops or sandals, bring a Ziploc baggie with you. Prior to riding, remove your socks and place them in the baggie, then wear your shoes without socks for that ride. I find that wet shoes with no socks is a whole lot more tolerable than wet shoes AND socks. Then you also have dry socks to use later on when your shoes have adequately dried.

Finally, sunblock. I stick to the trial-sized tubes. You can get them at most Meijer stores (and probably other places like Wal-Mart). The benefit to the trial-sized tubes is that they will also fit in cargo pockets quite nicely. Just close the lid good before you put it in your pocket, or give it its own pocket just in case. Or better yet, a Ziploc baggie.

Sorry if this was slightly off-topic.

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

This will only work if those still exist next year. I recall a time just a couple short years ago when EVERY locker in the park was of that variety, and now only the one set of them are. Also keep in mind, should they still be there and you use them, it would be wise to remove your items before 10 PM, or if you absolutely MUST get in that last 10 PM ride, pick a ride in Coney Mall or Oktoberfest, because security probably won't be too keen on you walking about after closing time unless you are headed for the main gate.

This also seems like a good place for homestar92's guide to Theme Park Penny-Pinching through the use of cargo pants.

Remove anything from your wallet that won't be needed for a day at KI. I learned this after an unfortunate incident on Firehawk required me to get a new Student ID card and cancel both my Debit and Credit cards. Now the only things that stay in my wallet are my gold pass, some cash if I don't plan on spending much, or my credit card if I do plan on spending a decent chunk of money. My driver's license travels to the park with me, but gets stored in my glove compartment upon arrival. I also keep an extra pair of glasses in my glove compartment at all times, so that if anything happens to my main pair, I can still get home. Also, regarding wallets, if you have an expensive or sentimentally-valuable wallet, I'd recommend getting a cheap one for theme park use.

With regards to money, there is a good general rule to follow. If you are budgeting yourself $50 or less, you should probably carry cash. But if you know you will spend more, it actually makes more sense to bring a credit or debit card. The reason for this is the Fair Credit Billing Act, which states that if you report a lost or stolen card within two business days of learning that it has been lost or stolen, the most unauthorized charges for which you can be held liable is a total of $50.

Phones are a toss-up around here. Many users, such as Terpy, do not typically bring a cell phone into theme parks for any number of reasons. Some of us, such as myself, need to have one with us for some reason or another (such as a mother who refuses to believe that her responsible 22-year-old son is far more likely to be hurt or killed driving to the park than he is on any rides therein, and therefore worries if she does not hear from him periodically). If you stick to a wallet, car keys, and possibly a cell phone, then cargo shorts should be perfect to hold your stuff. Zippers that run the length of the pocket are probably best, but if yours are velcro or a button in the middle, leaving the ends unfastened, safety pins for reinforcement can help ease your mind.

Drinking water can save you from carrying a souvenir cup, and water is free at all concession stands and restaurants in the park. If you do choose to use a souvenir cup, then know that you will have to get a locker or leave it with a non-rider for Firehawk and probably Banshee.

If you plan on riding White Water Canyon, Congo Falls, or Race For Your Life Charlie Brown, and you DON'T wear flip-flops or sandals, bring a Ziploc baggie with you. Prior to riding, remove your socks and place them in the baggie, then wear your shoes without socks for that ride. I find that wet shoes with no socks is a whole lot more tolerable than wet shoes AND socks. Then you also have dry socks to use later on when your shoes have adequately dried.

Finally, sunblock. I stick to the trial-sized tubes. You can get them at most Meijer stores (and probably other places like Wal-Mart). The benefit to the trial-sized tubes is that they will also fit in cargo pockets quite nicely. Just close the lid good before you put it in your pocket, or give it its own pocket just in case. Or better yet, a Ziploc baggie.

Sorry if this was slightly off-topic.

there are some things in here that I would have never thought of sadly. I am definitely going to have to remember a few of these tips when i go to the park on my off days this season. Thanks for some of the tips!

• Like 2

Since I'm paranoid about losing things, it pretty much all gets secured. K.I. sold (not sure if they still do) wateproof plastic containers, about 3x4x1", big enough for my ids & cash. I also went to Dicks (which carries the same, sans logo) & other sizes. In the boating section, they have what look like SUPER-heavy duty ziplock bags, made for kayakers to put cell phones in (and the phone can still be used while in it). I got some small tethers & miniature carabiners, put them on each AND my keyring. Now I walk around K.I. looking weird with a bunch of short pieces of cord clipped to my belt, going into my pockets.

• Like 7

True...but I also take my car keys. :D

It's a long walk back to the District of Columbia!

Get a clip and hook it on your belt loop.

1656008_10201655797858892_1132734142_n.j

I use one of those on one of my back belt loops, and people behind me on Diamondback always freak out because they think my keys are falling out of my pockets.

Sitting in the best seat (row 16) is a great solution to this issue.

• Like 4