White Water Canyon

WWC2003Amy

In a way, it already is. Remember, it's got the whole white water rafting thing going for it? Which pretty much falls in line with the whole Rivertown theme. Plus, you have the bit where you can see the train, and that's on top of the natural theming, namely the woods itself, which just lends itself to the ride. Plus, it doesn't really need something new to shake it up and increase ridership, because, after all, the intense summer heat already does that.

• Like 4

I know it can be hard, but the biggest thing to remember when your talking about theming at Kings Island park is this: Cedar Fair is not Disney. :)

Yeh, it's theming is "Ohio". I think the ride's setting in the Midwestern flora is the theme they are shooting for.

• Like 9

I think the fact that it is running through the woods the whole time is enough theming on its own. Don't know many other rapids rides that are as woods as ours. Usually they have all those waterfalls and things so that you don't see the sidewalk that is right next to you with food carts.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Those cannons can be a money maker, especially on busy days, plus it's only a quarter per shot. Plus, if they made them free, I can see kids or random people standing there all day hogging them, making you miss the oppourtunity to blast your friends.

• Like 5

Fun Fact: White Water Canyon's 1,680-foot canal is lined with 5,000 tons of limestone rock, the largest weighing eight tons.

Regarding "themeing" for the ride, I've always thought it could use a few more water effects. I enjoy the geysers at the end (and the single one over near Diamondback), but the only other thing to potentially get riders wet are the rapids themselves, which there doesn't always seem to be many of. Additional water falls, spouts of water, and the like would really add to the attraction.

And, although incredibly unrealistic, I wouldn't mind seeing a drop added midway through the attraction. After crossing under the first tunnel and making the big turn near Diamondback, a large elevator lift could be installed. It could be themed as a large mill or an oil derrick or anything else Western/mining. The drop itself would be a straight incline that would dive right into the second tunnel, which could also be more heavily themed.

• Like 8

Just to share some stuff, somewhat related:

1002916_572991209434270_1495274365_n.jpg

Cleaning the pit, it's below the lift, it gets nasty, right near here is where the water is pumped in from the lake

1451545_572991716100886_6621951_n.jpg

Empty troughs

Still hate this ride, it can be potentially scary/deadly during an E stop, glad I never had any experiences with that

I love riding it, but as I get older I start to realize how much danger is actually involved for this ride.

I would have to disagree I would have to say it's no more dangerous than a regular water ride. The water empties out rather quickly and even while working on the station we never had an accident except for maybe a boat going into the overflow and stopping at the gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I've ever actually heard what happens during an e-stop on those types of rides. I've just heard that it's a big deal.

Is there some gate or valve that opens quickly and drains all the water? If yes, does some kind of strainer keep debris (or even people, if someone were to go overboard) from blocking the drain?

• Like 1

The drain is always open which goes back into the drainage pond when they turn on the ride to turn on three pumps which then keeps the water level the ride needs to be for the to function. The four pumps which only three operating at one time are located to the right of the loading station

Sorry using voice to text to type this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

thats a fair point. But as I get older, I realize how much danger is in all rides.

There is very little danger in all rides if they're operated, maintained, and ridden properly. Any "dangers" are 99.99% of the time the result of poor operations or maintenance, or a rider's failure to obey written and spoken instructions.

• Like 2

Back when I was a kid White Water Canyon was a 2 hour wait, this last year I went 14 times and every time It was never more than 30 min wait. Hope it always stays open, its always a nice refreshing break from the heat with a lazy ride down a river. You dont notice its man made, it feels like a white water cannon.

• Like 4

I don't think it will go anywhere. It fits for the exact reason you mentioned. Also IMO even though they are an expensive ride to upkeep (I always heard rumor that to run TC at CP cost the company thousands per hour to run) it moves a good bit of people, and if everything goes right there really isn't any downtime. It moves people effectively, and never really any complaints. The main complaint is the stupid "I got wet" or the annoying "I didn't get wet" complaints. Other than that, never really anything else mentioned

• Like 4