KI Throwback Photo of The Day

TheBEASTunchained

Back then, Cedar Point coasters had neither seat belts nor gates. Chutes: Stay Behind the Yellow Line. And guests...DID.

At Kennywood, they do not have gates in their coaster stations, and some do not have seat belts. It is certainly different if you're used to the now-standard way of doing things.

• Like 4

Back then, Cedar Point coasters had neither seat belts nor gates. Chutes: Stay Behind the Yellow Line. And guests...DID.

It's harder for me to believe that people actually stayed behind the yellow line than the fact that the rides didn't have gates. If there were no gates in this day and age, rides would look like a Beijing subway station.

• Like 5

^ Kennywood actually doesn't have gates to this day on any of its wooden coasters and on Phantom's Revenge. (I can't remember if Sky Rocket has them or not.) There's a yellow line you're not supposed to cross, and I've honestly never seen anyone not listen. Granted, I've only been to Kennywood twice, but one of those visits included a park heavily populated by really, really disrespectful and mouthy younger teenagers. And they still listened.

Also, Kennywood is awesome. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

• Like 8

7820153914_d4484f1c17_c.jpg
Elegant WindSeeker in chilly October 10/30/11 by KIC-Vortex_BFF, on Flickr

WindSeeker on Closing Day, October 30, 2011. This is one of the last pics I took of it before it received the additional bracing (or whatever it's called) in 2012.

Most Recent Edit: Dane fixed it! Yay! :D

Dane: I'll fix WindSeeker when I get home this evening.

Edited by VortexBFForever
  • Like 8

Also "back in the day" if someone had seen any child crossing said lines, they would not have hesitated to grab them by the back of the shirt and pull them back. Most likely with a stern talking to. Long gone are the days of community child rearing.

Glad to see someone else grew up in the days when any adult in the neighborhood could correct you, and the last thing you wanted to do was tell your parents because you got it worse.

Perfect example of "it takes a village to raise a child." Just one of the problems with many of today's children...

• Like 6

So many depressing pictures. I never went on the antique cars (Antique Cars? Not trying to start another argument, actually asking if they were called "Antique Cars"), but that made me depressed - then The Italian Job with its yellow track, "splash" landing, overall better looking theme, and that waterfall^. So sad.

Actually, the Coney Island side of the Antique Cars was called "Les Taxi" and on the Rivertown side they were called "Ohio Overland Auto Livery".

• Like 5

rnEq3jP.jpg?1

My brothers and I standing in front of King Cobra before it opened. I'm in the stroller and I do not look impressed.

The King Cobra was white?

Since that photo was taken in December 1983 (probably during Winterfest), I imagine that was a display advertising the new coaster for 1984 and not an actual part of the completed coaster itself.

• Like 4

rnEq3jP.jpg?1

My brothers and I standing in front of King Cobra before it opened. I'm in the stroller and I do not look impressed.

The King Cobra was white?

Since that photo was taken in December 1983 (probably during Winterfest), I imagine that was a display advertising the new coaster for 1984 and not an actual part of the completed coaster itself.

I never thought about that. The idea of a stand up coaster back then was still unusual enough that they probably would have shown off the train with some sort of display like that. Good call.

• Like 5