KI Throwback Photo of The Day

TheBEASTunchained

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

YfpI4B3l.jpg

Photo I found a while back - it's not my family, I don't know who is in the picture. Looks like this may be on the other side of the entrance where the restrooms are now, unless my bearings are off.

Can anyone guess a date? Based on the paper it's printed on (the Kodak paper with those little pock marks in it), I'm tempted to say early to mid-'70s.

• Like 6

That's definitely a rare view of the park. Looks like its from a fairly early time in the park's history.

That is part of what's confusing me - if you looked at that view from the same angle today, wouldn't the Int'l Street shops be visible? I was under the impression that all those buildings were constructed before the park was opened and weren't part of any expansion.

It'd be great if KI posted "throwback" pictures every so often. I'm fascinated by that Taft video about the park's construction, wish more stuff like that was around.

That's definitely a rare view of the park. Looks like its from a fairly early time in the park's history.

That is part of what's confusing me - if you looked at that view from the same angle today, wouldn't the Int'l Street shops be visible? I was under the impression that all those buildings were constructed before the park was opened and weren't part of any expansion.

It'd be great if KI posted "throwback" pictures every so often. I'm fascinated by that Taft video about the park's construction, wish more stuff like that was around.

i think that pic is actually in front of the entry building, before you go through the gates.

• Like 11

That's the ride I was talking about in another thread^. Where was that ride located?

I don't remember. We had season passes until I was 8 when we left Dayton. The next time I went was Senior year in high school; I was devasted to find that the Smurf boat ride was gone. I might have to pull pictures from that visit.

It looks as though there are either swings or bumper cars in the near background and a yellow building (with a white strip/top) farther out. The two other pictures I have of this ride are darker and hard to make out what is nearby.

• Like 1

That's the ride I was talking about in another thread^. Where was that ride located?

I don't remember. We had season passes until I was 8 when we left Dayton. The next time I went was Senior year in high school; I was devasted to find that the Smurf boat ride was gone. I might have to pull pictures from that visit.

It looks as though there are either swings or bumper cars in the near background and a yellow building (with a white strip/top) farther out. The two other pictures I have of this ride are darker and hard to make out what is nearby.

Not sure if the kiddie bumper cars and kiddie swings have always been in the same place, but if it is the bumper cars and swings have not been moved then I would say it's probably in the location currently being used for PEANUTS 500.

There's probably enough space between the bumper cars and PEANUTS 500 that there would be enough room for a carousel ride such as the one being discussed to have been there at one time.

EDIT: Looked up this area on the Google Map Street View inside Kings Island, I'm thinking this might actually be the location that the Snoopy hug statue currently is. Has that always been there? I thought that was where the elephant fountain once was, but that was always just a guess on my part.

• Like 1

^ I remember that, I wish the Character Carousel actually had characters on it still...

Yea I think that everytime I walk by it. I love the Character Carousel when I was kid. I always rode on Jabberjaw. Wish it still had characters now. Could have it themed around Woodstock, Snoopy, and his family and maybe some of the bench type seats with some of the other characters like Charlie Brown and Linus.

• Like 4

376d13dbb41997b8f28f994243f8f336.jpg

I miss Reptar at Nickelodeon. Always like the topiary designs at the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Taptalk

The Dino topiary was in Soak City this year.

The one area of the park I did not visit this year except at Luau night. Sigh , thanks for the update

Sent from my iPhone using Taptalk

• Like 1

The park has had two Hampton rides, one which I believe was removed in the 1980s, the other which remains today. The picture is one of these two:

-Autocat, which underwent a couple name changes. Titles included Huck's Hot Rods, Go Diego Go, and Peanuts' Off-Road Rally. It was relocated within the area in 2006.

-Motor Mouse, which *may* have also been Boo Boo's Buggies and Peeway Raceway (if not, then Autocat went by those names for a while). I'm fairly confident it was removed in the mid-1980s.

I was looking for pictures of the old Kings Island Ferris Wheel, does anyone have any? I seen a few pic's on Youtube in someone's video but nothing really here. Thanks

Here's a couple I've spotted over the years. None are mine.

iKvnNuu.jpg

NJLCWWy.jpg

WjZUBF6.jpg

Notice how it was repainted a darker brown at some point.

The Ferris Wheel opened in 1978 and last operated in 1990 or 1991 (I'm learning towards 1990). Despite being at the park for well over a decade, there is very little information on it. It was manufactured by Eli Bridge though, who also manufactured Scrambler.

• Like 12