This date in Kings Island history

Guest KingsIslandPR

I think I'll slow down in 2014, and try to take in the experiences of life (the good ones) with a little less 'taking of things for granted.'

Apropos of the topic, I'm listening to one of my favorite songs right now: "Time Stand Still," by "Rush," which has been there throughout many, many seasons, and can bring up memories from any one of them. It was released when Vortex was "born." The math: ~27 years ago. At the young age that I was, I didn't really care about the words of songs. Being at an age now -- where time seems to go by very quickly -- some words make a little more sense:

"Summers going fast, nights growing colder;

Children growing up, old friends growing older;

Freeze this moment a little bit longer,

Make each sensation a little bit stronger... experience slips away."

Holy cow, they're right! So, stop, breathe, enjoy the good days. Each is so precious!

• Like 9

It does not make me feel old at all. I remember in 2008, my daughter and I sat watching people working on Diamondback. We sat there a long time. It was a really cool thing to see my daughter excited about the new coaster. We could not go opening day that year. However, it's one ride we both love. My favorite seat is row 1 seat 2. I've said from the first time I rode it, that is the best seat in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Wow...5 years already...and 2009 was my first year on KIC, I joined in Late May, so my 5th anniversary on KIC is coming up as well. :P Hmm...and during those 5 years, just for hindsight...

-Son of Beast operated for the last time, and only co-existed for a few months alongside Diamondback. It was then SBNO for nearly 4 years before being demolished in the fall of 2012...in between, numerous debates and ideas for what might happen to it occured here on KIC.

-The Crypt opened 2009 with a insane multi-flip ride cycle, but was mega-nerfed a few weeks into the season. It got some theming upgrades in 2011, but it was for naught, and it was demolished before the 2012 season.

-Nickelodeon Universe saw its final season in 2009, before being re-themed into Planet Snoopy for 2010.

-Scooby Doo & The Haunted Castle also underwent a transformation in 2010, and it became Boo Blasters on Boo Hill.

-Cedar Fair was ALMOST sold to Apollo Group. Almost...but the deal fell through.

-Flight Deck gets a new paintjob in 2011, but much to the chargin of KI fans, only the track is repainted and it stays the same colors.

-WindSeeker and Dinosaurs Alive! made their debuts in 2011...though WindSeeker's debut was delayed about 2 months due to design flaws. Along with Dinos, Action Theatre gets a new movie, DA! 3D, replacing the long-running Spongebob 3D, but it becomes an upcharge as well...then is free again in 2012.

-Matt Ouimet becomes the new CEO of Cedar Fair, and his influence is felt before he even takes office as Fast Lane debuts at Kings Island in 2011, then the rest of Cedar Fair in 2012.

-Boomerang Bay Waterpark became Soak City in 2012, with a new wave pool, beach area, and re-configuration of the lazy river as well as theming and paint changes.

-Invertigo gets a new paint job, changing from its original yellow & red to blue and darker blue.

-Thunder Alley gives its last rides in 2012, as it is demolished along with Son of Beast for "future expansion"...which ends up being the next thing...

-Kings Island announced their next major coaster, Banshee, which will debut in 2014- 5 years after Diamondback. Track work is already complete in time for the 5th anniversary of the same event for Diamondback.

-Flight Deck is the next major ride/area to get a re-theme, as it becomes The Bat for 2014, and gets a SECOND (this time new colors though) paintjob just 3 years after its last. As of this writing, however, the "transformation" is not 100% complete.

Yep...all that happened in one park in just 5 years. And that's not counting the stuff like new restraunts/restraunt changes, etc etc. that also happened since 2009. Makes you wonder what will happen in the next 5 years... :P

• Like 11

I remember riding it opening day. My wide and I got in line early, but by the timne we got through the queue and to the station you could see the line went all the way around PS, back to ET, next to BLSC and spalsh down. I remember thinking, there are a lot of people watching the spalsh down, and then realized, wait that is the line!

I have the pic Don posted on the website of the line, but I am not going to pusblish that to photobucket to post here. Maybe Don can post that for I am sure it is still on the KI hosting servers somewhere.