Mission For you Photoshoppers!

GamesAndRides

According to that map there used to be, what appears to be, a large body of water and canoe rides back where The Beast and the back half of Diamondback are. How accurate is that? What happened to it? Was it a natural lake or did they make something specially for canoe rides? I kinda always assumed that The Beast was there from the beginning of the park, so this map has me curious.

Here you go Kat:

CimevNC.jpg

1gWFm9n.jpg

Well that's going to be a bit more difficult with the 2013 map being smaller but I can see what I can do when I get home from work tonight. I can probably resize the old map to be about the same size as the 2013 map :)

• Like 2

A couple of observations:

The Racer has grown many inches since it first opened :)

Interesting to see the changes in the depection of Scoobie Doo/Woodstock Express

Did the train originally operate in the direction indicated on the original map? Its shown running the opposite direction of how it runs today, unless of course they ran the train backwards in the day.

I wonder if people complained in 1979 about how The Beast transformed the look of rivertown the way people complain today about how Diamondback transformed the same area. I wonder if people told those people to shut up and be thankful for the wonderful new coaster they got to ride.

Its amazing how much the park has expanded since its early days.

• Like 2

A couple of observations:

The Racer has grown many inches since it first opened :)

Interesting to see the changes in the depection of Scoobie Doo/Woodstock Express

Did the train originally operate in the direction indicated on the original map? Its shown running the opposite direction of how it runs today, unless of course they ran the train backwards in the day.

I wonder if people complained in 1979 about how The Beast transformed the look of rivertown the way people complain today about how Diamondback transformed the same area. I wonder if people told those people to shut up and be thankful for the wonderful new coaster they got to ride.

Its amazing how much the park has expanded since its early days.

People in 1979 (the year I graduated from H.S.) didn't complain about The Beast at all, it fit right into rivertown as a sawmill theme complete with water in the 'lagoon' where the train exits the station, and a sleuce at the 'approach end' of the station (still there, but no water runs). It helped define Rivertown, it did not detract.

I miss the original theming...

• Like 6

Speaking as an 11 year old me in 1979, you would have heard no such complaints. Kings Island was in need of a new coaster. And what they gave us, at the time, was a coaster on steroids.

I still remember being a little apprehensive getting onto the ride. When I went up the first hill, I remember thinking, "What did I get myself into here?". By the time the ride was over, I wanted to go stand in line for another two hours and do it again. :)

• Like 6