Disney Fastpass+ at Walt Disney World

I dont get the hate for the extra pay fast pass system. Some people want to and some people dont. Its not cutting. In life you either pay for better stuff or you dont. Be it shipping or food. Its not a thing against the middle class, its actually a way for the richer to pay more.

Back to the Disney thing. I understand the fastpass at Disney. IMHO you are abusing the system. period. It may not be how you see it but to me it is an abuse. The computer assumes you are using your fast pass then getting a new one. The computer sees it like this. You get your pass at 830 to return between 930 and 1030. From 830 to 930 you eat. At 930 you ride your ride then move to the second ride at 950 and it tells you to come back at 1050-1150.

In the old way (abuse as I see it), you get one pass ride at 930, go to eat. At 930 you get a ticket for 1030 for the second ride. You make it back to the original ride at at 945, get off of the ride then make back to the other ride by about 1015. You wait 15 minutes and get on, rinse and repeat. The ride assumes you will now be there at 1030 (not the original 1050) and puts you in the digital que.

It was allowed by the park but I think it goes against the intent of the system, not the rules of the systems. again just my opinion. I would use it the same was you described, but I still feel that thats the problem. It doesnt seem so bad when there is only 1 person doing this but when you have 100s doing this same thing that wait time gets pushed longer and longer. Eventually selling out (correct?)

Im not upset if you dont find it as abuse, heck Disney let you do it. What I dont understand is why dont they do the old system (with the new bands) but only allow you to have one fast pass in your digital pocket at a time. AKA you cant get another one until you use it.

Have fun with your family trip to Disney next year. I highly recommend using a site like easywdw.com to help you plan which parks what days and how to better visit the parks to make the most out of your time while avoiding the biggest lines. Having a plan at Disney makes a world of difference. Especially when you are done with New Fantasyland before the rest of the general public has even made it in the park.

• Like 3

Perhaps this is too simplistic a view of this situation - but what it seems like to me is that Disney is trying to spread people around their parks a little more efficiently. The new system might cut the overall wait times for some of their popular attractions by spreading some people who would ordinarily be at a very popular attraction and shift them to attractions that weren't getting much action.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the system isn't all about rides--something we enthusiasts get caught up in all too often. If I'm with my kids at their present ages, the big rides aren't for them anyway. While my daughter wants to meet the princesses, my son is more interested in meeting Mickey or Goofy. That to me, is more valuable to reserve ahead of time than a ride. If done right, most of the rides at the parks can be done in one day anyway, with or without FP+. The parades/fireworks/shows are important as well. Who here hasn't been standing on MSUSA 3-4 deep with little ones on their shoulders craning for a decent view of the parade? The system will adjust to the needs and park feedback, so I say give it time to work out all the kinks. Perhaps the feature I will miss most was the little-known ability to use your paper FP ticket at any point past the end of the return window. I used to love going to the big rides hours after the end of the window and not having the CM bat an eye. Not eveyone likes change. Some here were outraged that KI drained a certain lake in order to build a giant coaster a few years back. That turned out nicely enough.

• Like 3

Perhaps this is too simplistic a view of this situation - but what it seems like to me is that Disney is trying to spread people around their parks a little more efficiently. The new system might cut the overall wait times for some of their popular attractions by spreading some people who would ordinarily be at a very popular attraction and shift them to attractions that weren't getting much action.

I believe that this was leaked at some point as the reason for FP+. They wanted to avoid having to install new attractions by "encouraging" people to ride unpopular or high capacity ones (i.e. Journey Into Imagination or Ellen's Energy Adventure) and lock them into their plans sooner.

Personally, I'm more bothered that the new official map for Epcot is upside down for some reason. I actually don't hate FP+ all that much, it seems more convenient, but it doesn't seem well thought out, especially on the IT side of things. I really like the idea of the MagicBands, though. A combo admission ticket/payment system/FP system in one band seems like a good idea. Gotta love the people making tin foil shields for their MBs. (and, yes, I've heard of people doing this)

• Like 3

Yea we are doing a bigger than normal family trip so right now the discussion is value versus moderate hotel stayings...

A very tough question honestly. Depends on what you are looking for in your resort and if you are going a time of year that free dinning is offered. We have always stayed at the Coronado Springs because of the free dining option (which at Moderate gives you the regular plan while value is quick service). Also CS has one of the nicest and largest pools on property and the rooms are newly refurbished and are equal some of the deluxe resorts in size. Feel free to PM with any questions you might have.

With the current discounts, the benefit of staying in a moderate is greater than a value. Keep in mind, though, that suites are limited at all other resorts besides the new Art of Animation should you choose to bunk up together. Also, research whether you'd get the most out of your free dining plan. There are websites dedicated to answrring that plus other WDW questions. Another option would be to check into a DVC resort. Those aren't strictly limited to the DVC holders. That way you could get more people in one unit.

The purpose of the Fastpass was never to speed up lines. Because guests were spending their time in line, they were not buying merchandise or food. The concept was supposed to free up your time to shop or eat. Most people saw it as a chance to get in more rides for their dollar...hence it has evolved...and will continue to evolve until Disney gets the top dollar they can get, otherwise why spend billions of dollars implementing this program. It certainly is not to enhance your ride experience. Again you can put your debit card information on your wristband...this has nothing to do with anything but convenience of sales. There is a video somewhere with an Imagineer explaining the Fastpass at its conception. When I find it I will post it. It mentions the spending time in line and not buying anything.

• Like 3

Fun fact: Part of the reason that the parks suddenly seemed to be so crowded is that Imagineers accounted for a percentage of guests being in lines at any given time. Once Fastpass meant that people spent time they'd usually be in line hanging out waiting for their time to come up rather than shopping or riding something else, that percentage was thrown off.

• Like 1

\So if you select Test Track, then if you want to ride Soarin', you MUST wait in the full queue. If you choose Meet Mickey as your tier 1 choice, you won't see Test Track or Soarin' or Maelstrom without the hour-long queues associated with each on even the slowest days.

But one of the reasons that the queues for rides like Soarin' were so monstrously long was because of FastPass. I've heard, that sans Fast Pass, the queue time for Soarin' would never surpass 30 minutes. If you restrict FastPass's use, the park could potentially drop the stand-by wait times down, therefore enabling the majority of visitors to enjoy more.

I don't think anyone can decide between Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain. That's one of my main beefs with this program.

The system is only requiring guests to choose one of the big rides for FastPass+, not to ride in general. If they get a FastPass for Space Mountain, there's nothing stopping them for queuing for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (and, as predicted above, the wait time for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad may now be less, without the FastPass overkill).

• Like 1