Disney Fastpass+ at Walt Disney World

Well most people who take the time out to rate things are doing so because they are eiter generally upset or generally happy. And to each person dirty may mean different things. To some a little dust on the tv is filthy while to others noticeably dirty floors and towels would be. Myself, I want clean bathrooms towels and beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The collective intelligence of TripAdvisor reviewers is comparable to that of Yahoo! Answers, and not in a favorable manner. I generally ignore TripAdvisor.

TripAdvisor® reviews are absolutely comical. "They wouldn't let me ride because the restraint would not close and it was unsafe for me to ride. 1 star!!!"

• Like 7

The current Fastpass+ setup would significantly alter the way we do WDW. I had the old Fastpass down to a science. This past July, as soon as we got into MK, we headed straight to Under the Sea to get a Fastpass, then went to Enchanted Tales with Belle to enjoy that with only about a 10 minute queue wait. As soon as we were done with that, our window for Under the Sea had opened. Throughout the day, we had used Fastpass for 6 attractions: Under the Sea, Peter Pan's Flight, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Jungle Cruise. If we were only able to get one Fastpass+ for only one of those attractions, we wouldn't be able to do everything we wanted.

Before our first trip to Disney in the Fastpass era in 2006, I did a lot of research into Fastpass and how to make it work to our benefit (along with parent swap, which we needed at the time due to GatorGirl only being a year and a half old). One thing I didn't know until years later that the Fastpass could be used after the hour window had expired, so we always stuck to the hour assigned. That's one of the reasons I have yet to ride Test Track... when it was my hour, a storm blew in and the ride was closed and reopened about a half hour before park close.

We visited again in 2007, 2008, 2011 & 2013. Having used it in 2006, I got much better in 2007 and considered myself an expert by 2008. By 2011 I had learned about the end time not being enforced, but we never found ourselves in a situation where we had to do that. So when it was announced that they were enforcing end times by our trip last year, it had no effect on us.

I agree that it's best to go when crowds are light, but for those of us with children in school, our options are limited. We're not the type to pull her out of school for a week for a vacation. Out for one day maybe, but not a week.

As of now we're not planning on a trip there this year and by the sound of this new system, I'm glad we're not (although some friends are trying to convince us to go down with them for New Year's). I can't imagine waiting in line 90 minutes for Space Mountain (that was the standby time when we used Fastpass for it last year) or any other ride there. It was bad enough at Universal when we waited 90 minutes for The Simpsons and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, where there seems to be less to do at each of Universal's parks than there is at MK. Hopefully guest feedback will prompt changes by our next visit there (2015?).

• Like 5

I've never been, but going to Disney seems like a freaking chore. Vacation is supposed to be fun and relaxing. It's cool that you guys "have/had it down to a science," but if it takes that much planning and quantum physics and knowing the secret to cold fusion then I'd rather use my time at Universal.

• Like 4

Or just go to the Disneyland Resort instead.

No such muss and fuss.

At least so far.

(And I vastly prefer it).

The show quality between the 2 resorts makes it difficult to believe they're both from the same company.

That said, while I prefer DLR, we're heading back down to WDW here in a few weeks for our annual pilgrimage. We'll see how this FP+ thing works.

• Like 1

I actually like the challenge. I prefer vacations where I'm actively doing things instead of just laying there. Mrs. Gator's ideal vacation before she met me was laying next to a pool sunbathing. Boring! I need to be doing something, but we do set aside days to relax too.

For WDW, we prioritize what we want to do, and make sure we have time for hitting our top attractions first. Last year I even made lists of the attractions, and before we left, each person in the family gave each attraction a rating: 1 = definitely have to do, 2 = do it if we have time, 3 = don't mind skipping, X = Absolutely do NOT want to do. I tallied the votes, and came out with an average for each attraction. Those with an average of 1 we made sure we did, average of 2 had a lower priority and so on. If we miss out on a 2.7 or 3, oh well. At DHS, we missed out on Lights, Motors, Action (a 1.7 which only had two showings, one of which was canceled due to rain). Gatorgirl wasn't too upset about that though since she gave it a 3.

Some people may not like this, being too much planning, etc., but it gave the family something to do and helped build up anticipation to our visit (as if we weren't excited enough anyway).

When we go back to Universal, I plan to do the rankings sheets again, for a different reason: there's less to do in a day than some WDW parks, but no Fastpass, so I know we're going to be standing in line for over an hour for some things (which I am willing to do for my favorite dark rides, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey & The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man).

I don't do this for any other park we visit, just the Orlando parks. If I'm spending such a big chunk of change to get down there and stay there and get in, I'm going to make sure we get our money's worth. Sure, when we go to other parks such as Kennywood, Waldemeer, HersheyPark, etc., we have an idea of what attractions we want to do more than others, but we don't go to the lengths that we do for Orlando because they're smaller, closer and less expensive.

• Like 4

I actually like the challenge. I prefer vacations where I'm actively doing things instead of just laying there. Mrs. Gator's ideal vacation before she met me was laying next to a pool sunbathing. Boring! I need to be doing something, but we do set aside days to relax too.

For WDW, we prioritize what we want to do, and make sure we have time for hitting our top attractions first. Last year I even made lists of the attractions, and before we left, each person in the family gave each attraction a rating: 1 = definitely have to do, 2 = do it if we have time, 3 = don't mind skipping, X = Absolutely do NOT want to do. I tallied the votes, and came out with an average for each attraction. Those with an average of 1 we made sure we did, average of 2 had a lower priority and so on. If we miss out on a 2.7 or 3, oh well. At DHS, we missed out on Lights, Motors, Action (a 1.7 which only had two showings, one of which was canceled due to rain). Gatorgirl wasn't too upset about that though since she gave it a 3.

Some people may not like this, being too much planning, etc., but it gave the family something to do and helped build up anticipation to our visit (as if we weren't excited enough anyway).

When we go back to Universal, I plan to do the rankings sheets again, for a different reason: there's less to do in a day than some WDW parks, but no Fastpass, so I know we're going to be standing in line for over an hour for some things (which I am willing to do for my favorite dark rides, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey & The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man).

I don't do this for any other park we visit, just the Orlando parks. If I'm spending such a big chunk of change to get down there and stay there and get in, I'm going to make sure we get our money's worth. Sure, when we go to other parks such as Kennywood, Waldemeer, HersheyPark, etc., we have an idea of what attractions we want to do more than others, but we don't go to the lengths that we do for Orlando because they're smaller, closer and less expensive.

I gotta ask where did It's A Small World rank?

Gator Love the ranking system. We do something very similar when putting our trip together.

I also create a touring plan for each park, which really helps avoiding lines and crowds while at Disney. Really enjoy watching the plan in action.

Also something I learned from Avatar (Esteemed KIC Member, not 12 foot tall blue alien soon to be at AK) is I create Picture Itineraries for our trip that Little Miss RailRider loves, as do the numerous cousins and friends who have a accompanied us. Here is an example. Plus its fun to look at the night before.

3ffe872c-0d58-45e2-b261-b8e50f3a08d0.jpg

• Like 6

The system is designed to be changed on the fly while in the park. If you have a FP+ for Splash and the wait is only 15 min, you can change it to something like say BTMN if its wait is longer (and it usually is). Just fire up the app and make the switch. Changes can be made anytime up until you press your MagicBand against the sensor. Also note that a good portion of the attractions all over the resort have good throughput, so getting a FP+ really isnt necessary. A vacation at WDW really doesnt have to be complicated. Best advice--if you can, go during off times, use the FP+ where needed and cycle through the rest of the parks at your leisure.

I gotta ask where did It's A Small World rank?

All three of us rated it a 1. What can I say, it's a guilty pleasure. On the flip side, Stitch's Great Escape and Swiss Family Treehouse both received an X from each of us.

I still prefer the California Version over this one, but yes I agree it is a guilty pleasure.

• Like 2

OK, so I keep hearing "go when its not peak season" When is peak season exactly?

We've been talking about going in a year or two, youngest turns 2 at the end of May, I'm thinking when she turns 4 would be a great time as the oldest will be (almost) 7, if it slides to a year later, 5 & almost 8 isn't too bad either. Either way, we're probably moving this summer, so I'll need that vacation time to get things done around the new house, fix up things on the old one, get it on the market, etc... My wife is a teacher, they've recently pushed up the end of the school year to just after memorial day. I think next school year (ie 2015 and the 1st year I think we could make the trip) their last day is a few days after memorial day, like May 28th or something.

I know somebody that teaches w/ my wife who went down as soon as school was out, the last week in May or the very first week of June. They said it wasn't too crowded as most people were just getting out of school. In the minds of the experts here, was that the exception, or the norm? Ideally, for my wife, I think the 2nd week of June or later would work better from a schedule standpoint (ie having to get her room cleaned out, grades turned in, etc...) but if it made a huge difference in crowds, it would be worth me prodding her into going a week early and working to get all that stuff done as soon as school was finished so we could hit the road and enjoy the lighter crowds.

B/w her teaching, and the kids in school, are there other time periods that are lighter in crowds? They're still young enough that they are not currently heavily involved in out of school activities that tend to tie familes down w/ older kids. However, teachers don't have the luxory of just heading on vacation in the middle of May or October, so it would have to work around a teacher's schedule. There is a week of spring break that always falls on the first week of April.

• Like 1

Least crowded times to go to Disney. It is a bit of a false statement, because even a less busy time of year will have certain days where certain parks are packed. But the best times in general are when kids are in school. Which given the fact your wife teaches makes that difficult so her are some other thoughts. Early May is still good, avoid Memorial Day. October is typically less crowded, but special MNSSHP can raise crowds to the Kingdom. Also November and December are less crowded but avoid those 2 big holidays.

But if you must visit in the dead of Summer it is still vary doable. The crowds at the 4 parks will vary on any given day during a week. For example we visited the World last year in July the week after the 4th. While it is one of the most crowded times to visit Disney we did it by scheduling our park visits on days those parks were not going to be as crowded. Got there early and were ahead of the crowds all day. The longest line we waited in our entire trip was for Rope Drop at each park. Never more than 5 or 10 minutes for a ride. There are many sites out there that will help you plan what days to visit what parks like Undercover Tourist and easywdw.com. I use to be a subscriber to TourGuideMike but that place went under quickly so now I do a lot of planning from past experience and advice from easywdw.com

Let me know what questions you have. Send a PM with any. Also check out the PTRs in my signature for some great Magic you can create with a proper Disney plan.

• Like 1

thanks rider. We went when my son was 1 in late July or early August for a family reunion of sorts. While the weather was hot, and hit rained pretty good eacy day, the crowds never seemed unbearable. Of course we took full use of the fast pass system, and with much of the time in the park spent just w/ my wife and son, we never made it to Space Mountain (which was closed anyways for several months of maintance), thunder mountain and what not. W/ the fast pass, and jumping on the smaller lines for dumbo or pirates of the carribean, it wasn't too bad. Next time, though we'll have the daughter with us, so I envision some splitting up. Our 5 year old will ride anything that his 48" will allow him at KI, don't know what kind of ride warrior our daughter will be. Certainly the wife is going to want to do some of the princess stuff with her, while the won will want to do anything but the princess stuff. I'll be coming back here for advice as I begin to plan, probably a year in advance so we can work all the perks into our budget.

Or just go to the Disneyland Resort instead.

No such muss and fuss.

At least so far.

(And I vastly prefer it).

There's some kind of old world charm to Disneyland that I just can't put my finger on. I've been to Disney World at least six times and Disneyland only once, but I'd go back to the Land before the World for sure.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Going back a little bit to earlier discussion about planning your trips...It can definitely get a little crazy and confusing, especially if you want to get on as much as possible in as little time as possible. Last year I spent a long time looking up all of the attractions, restaurants, and rides at all the parks I'd be going to (Hollywood Studios, Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Universal Studios, and Islands of Adventure) and printed out maps, highlighting or indicating where on the maps the attractions I wanted to go to were so I'd have quick and easy naviation. Plus I sort of familiarized myself with each park's layout the best I could so I'd spend less time trying to figure out directions once I was actually in the park. I also wrote down on the back of each park's map my priority attractions. I made 2 columns, 1 for "musts" and one for "maybes." For each park I wrote down the biggest attractions and the ones I most wanted to get on, and I also wrote down several that I'd want to try if I had time but that I wouldn't be upset about not getting on if I ran out of time. This helped out a lot. Then at the parks (the Disney ones, not Universal) it could get sort of crazy trying to coordinate Fast Passes and what rides to go on when. In no way did Disney make things simple, but as long as you're organized and well planned, it's a great place. Or at least it was. I'm still not sure what I think about this whole new system.

• Like 1

Even if you aren't organized and well planned it's still a great place! Given it's flexibility, all one needs to know how to do is navigate the app once at the park to make on the fly changes depending on traffic. The fact that attractions like Imagination and Captain Eo are listed (both of which resemble ghost towns on most days) make you realize that the system is a dynamic one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This new system and especially the app and pre planning is going to end up being a great addition. I have been hearing many good things lately from folks who have used the system. Also no longer do I have to worry about running all over the park collecting Legacy Fast Passes. Our last trip to Disney in July, my wife and I wore pedometers. One day at Hollywood Studios she walked 4.8 miles, me being the FPV I walked 8.2 miles. I am quite excited about using this system in December.

• Like 1

I am going to the World in early May for several days, so I will post a Trip Report upon my return detailing my experience. I plan to stay on property at one of my fav moderate resorts in terms of size and accesibility to the parks in a short period of time (using WDW Transport)--Port Orleans: French Quarter.

• Like 1

I just booked my trip last night for next month and was able to seamlessly and easily link up my resort hotel reservation and select my advance FP+ reservations for each day I'm there with the magicband I selected (which is forthcoming in the mail prob in the next 7-10 days). So far, so good. Once I'm there, I may change things on the fly depending on how crowded the parks are, but I think this is a wonderful innovation by Disney which will only get better over time.

• Like 2

I think its very interesting. If you use one at 11 am, then sign up for a new ride for 1 pm, it gives you time ride another ride or watch a show. Best of both worlds?

The new tweak works a little differently than that. You still pre-book three attractions in three time slots. You have to. The system only allows you to pre-book (or book in the park, at a kiosk) in groups of three. Once you have used all three pre-booked Fastpasses, you can add one more. Once you've used that additional one, you can add yet another. You have to use all three of your pre-booked ones before you can beginning adding additional reservations.

So if you plan to take advantage of that, remember that if the last of your original three Fastpass+ windows is from say, 7:10 - 8:10 and the park closes at 9:00, you may not be able to have an additional one afterwards, and certainly not more than one. You won't be able to add a fourth bonus reservation until after you've used your third... 7:10 at the earliest. By that point, you may find no additional Fastpasses left for the evening for the major attractions. Not that that's some horrible element of this system - regular old paper Fastpasses would've been sold out by 7:00 on a 9:00 closing night, too.

Similarly, if you use a Fastpass+ pre-booked reservation on priority seating at a park's nighttime show (fireworks, Fantasmic, Illuminations, etc) you will not be able to take advantage of this new caveat since your third reservation will likely match up with the park's closing time.

• Like 1

I got that. I guess my post was a little vague. I was thinking (obviously not typing) that if I used all 3 by 11, and had to sign up again, the next one would probably be available at 1. Then I could do a 5th, then a 6th, etc......

But you are right, it is going to be interesting for first timers and those not knowing how to work the system will only be getting 3-4 fast passes per day. Knowing they replenish I would be more willing to register to use fast passes early in the morning for some rides and home to get a new one later in the day.

I like the idea of being able to park hop with them now as well.

I think the FastPass+ system will be best utilized for booking around lunch and early afternoon. That way your morning is a pretty standard rope drop touring plan. Then you have 3 FP+ reservations around lunch, pick up a bonus scheduling and leave the park for an afternoon break. Come back for a night FP+ reservation and fireworks. Something along those lines is my initial plan for December as of right now

• Like 1