Banshee First Rider T-Shirts?

Delirium2018

I couldn't imagine skipping classes and then trying to learn what you missed on your own. Maybe that is just how I'm wired though?

I'll enjoy Banshee a few weeks after it opens.

Big gen ed lecture classes at WSU are actually pretty easy to skip. You learn more in the labs than you do the lectures. Though four absences in this class = dropping one letter grade. Can't miss that Great Gatsby talk!

• Like 2

I love my Diamondback T-shirt. I'd like to have a Banshee one. I hope I can still make the cut if I leave from my class at wright state at 11.

And I told myself not to use all my skips for that class before opening day <_<

Skips?

Wright State must be...an interesting place.

Terp, who discovered at university, and in life, that just showing up is often 98 percent of the battle, or more. Absence, on the other hand...

Skips? Terp is still....incredulous.

Being a current college student.. when it comes to gen. ed credits.. sometimes you don't get very much bang for your buck as far as classroom content goes.

Other classes, your discovery is true as lecture notes is all you have to go off of for an exam. It just depends.

Either way though, an absence is easy enough to get through if you know what you're doing.

Especially when you're last day of classes is on Opening day, like mine, and reviewing in class isn't something crucial to ace'ing the exams.. or beece'ing.

I, who is not yet sure what course of action is best for that day..

• Like 2

I'm a highschool student.

Anything I miss can be made up.

...if the absence is excused. Most schools will not accept "going to an amusement park" as a valid excuse, and many will not allow missed work to be made up for credit if the absence is unexcused.

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

Then things have changed since I was in school. I would never have been able to just take a day off like that without being charged with an unexcused absence.

When I was in school, some people obtained excused absences even for a family vacation. As long as they had good attendance and the absence was authorized by a parent, there wasn't an issue.

Especially for those considering certain career paths, attending something like Media Day could be a very worthwhile reason to miss one day of school.

• Like 4

I couldn't imagine skipping classes and then trying to learn what you missed on your own. Maybe that is just how I'm wired though?

Big gen ed lecture classes at WSU are actually pretty easy to skip. You learn more in the labs than you do the lectures. Though four absences in this class = dropping one letter grade. Can't miss that Great Gatsby talk!

I hate classes that literally punish you with grade deductions for missing class. It adds insult to injury of missing the material. OK, if it's a lab and your lab partner will suffer if you don't show up, then fair enough. In that case, it makes logical sense. But for a lecture, if I want to miss class, that should be my prerogative. If I am able to learn the content while missing lecture from time to time, then what does it really matter? I still learned it! That's why teachers have tests. It forces you to actually LEARN the material rather than just show up to class and daydream.

If I were in a class where there were no tests, I could understand only allowing X number of missed days, but the idea that I'm paying to go to college means I should be able to utilize my investment in whatever way I see fit.

/rant

I can say from experience that in my college career, there were several days when skipping class to get a little extra sleep and studying the material later on my own helped me learn it FAR better than I would have if I had gone to class groggy and tired.

• Like 4

I love my Diamondback T-shirt. I'd like to have a Banshee one. I hope I can still make the cut if I leave from my class at wright state at 11.

And I told myself not to use all my skips for that class before opening day <_<

Skips?

Wright State must be...an interesting place.

Terp, who discovered at university, and in life, that just showing up is often 98 percent of the battle, or more. Absence, on the other hand...

Skips? Terp is still....incredulous.

I tell young and some older folks all the time that just showing up in life can change your entire life's future. I once lost a good job as a young man to another man who couldn't do half the work I got done in a day, but my boss told me something I never forgot and have used to much success ever since. He told me he was letting me go because the other young man never missed a day and I wasn't as reliable. Guess who shows up early and leaves late every day- me! Keep your T-shirt, I have to keep the next guy from wanting my job more than me.

• Like 5

I hate classes that literally punish you with grade deductions for missing class. It adds insult to injury of missing the material. OK, if it's a lab and your lab partner will suffer if you don't show up, then fair enough. In that case, it makes logical sense. But for a lecture, if I want to miss class, that should be my prerogative. If I am able to learn the content while missing lecture from time to time, then what does it really matter? I still learned it! That's why teachers have tests. It forces you to actually LEARN the material rather than just show up to class and daydream.

If I were in a class where there were no tests, I could understand only allowing X number of missed days, but the idea that I'm paying to go to college means I should be able to utilize my investment in whatever way I see fit.

/rant

I can say from experience that in my college career, there were several days when skipping class to get a little extra sleep and studying the material later on my own helped me learn it FAR better than I would have if I had gone to class groggy and tired.

I actually have a professor who flat out tells us that he's not worried about attendance if we can learn the material on our own. It's an intro to psych class, so it's basically a review if you took it in high school (gotta love those gen eds!). Plus, he grades his exams in a rather interesting way to give everyone a huge grade boost (usually about 130 possible points, but the grade is out of 100). But, anyway it's ridiculous to DEMAND perfect attendance when we're the ones whose grades are affected if we never show up and never do any of the work. I rarely miss class (I think I've missed a class once since I was a freshman and that was because of snow), and I literally get straight A's... if I want to miss two 55min classes to go to opening day, I think I deserve that. Not that I think I will, but still...

• Like 3

I skipped out on my fair share of classes in my day, but one in particular stands out. I was taking a Sociology class, I forget the exact name of it but it was about people/groups who were outside what a majority of people considered to be the norm. It was a nice, sunny spring day, this class was an early evening class and I was enjoying my time outside too much. We were to have a guest speaker that day who was a recovering drug addict. I figured I would skip out rather than sit in a room and listen to someone's stuggles with addiction.

I went to the following class, and it turns out that the recovering addict was a friend of mine that I had worked with two years prior. We had drifted apart, and this was before the time of social media making it easier to catch up with someone. When I knew him I would never have guessed that he was using drugs (if he was at the time) or that he ever did or would. To this day I kick myself for missing that one.

• Like 4

I never call off work unless I have a really good reason. Worst case scenario, if something comes up, I go in late. This winter with all the snow and stuff, one day my car got stuck in the snow. I was ticked. I had to essentially dig my car out which took over an hour. I considered just taking the day off because I was all sweaty and my clothes were soaked from the snow, but I grabbed a quick shower, got changed, and headed on to work anyway.

I do, however, get a handful of vacation days which I use sparingly. Since my wife gets Good Friday off at her work, I usually take that day off too and we go spend the day together. This year I was lucky enough that opening day fell on Good Friday since I was taking it off anyway. If I had no vacation days though, I probably would not skip work to go. I would just go on Saturday instead.

You really have to keep your priorities straight and in today's economy, if you have a job, you better hold on to it. Which also means, don't do anything stupid that could jeopardize your position. As excited as I am to ride Banshee, I think I could wait just one more day since I've already waited this long anyway. Yes, the t-shirt would be nice to have, but being a good employee and a good student is worth a lot more than a free t-shirt.

• Like 1

Lol sociology, I so hated and loved that class..

Teacher was all, oh people do this, and that, etc. and we're predictable

I remember one time, we were in class and she was all like "I can predict everything you do based off of this and that, etc."

I said "Oh really" , opened the window, lifted the screen, walked outside (was on the first floor) and went to the playground next to the school within about 50 feet or so of the High School, and got on the swings. Had fun for a bit, then did a giant jump off as high as I could, and came back and sat down.

I then said "Bet you didn't see that one coming did ya"

So worth getting afternoon detention that day

• Like 3

I was good and bad in High School..Freshman year I was just..typical Freshman drama, Sophmore year I wisened up quite alot after getting a job at the end of the year and saving money, etc. Junior year I was perfect everywhere as I was in two jobs and some extracurriculars. Senior Year, started perfect like my whole Junior Year, but then, as soon as Winter Break ended, oh it got bad. Spring Break was even worse. Post spring break, not a single care was given.

This happened my Senior year as you could probably tell :P

So many other random and great stories

• Like 1

I could not imagine being in line for 2 hours and being Banshee rider #5001 and not getting a t-shirt. That might be a little tough.

Oh my Gosh, I think I would cry. I've gotten embarrassingly upset about waiting in line for front seat of The Beast for 2 hours, then being one set of riders too late, and they say everyone has to find another seat. :s It's happened to me MULTIPLE times. darn it, I waited 2+ hours for this seat. Please run one more train!

*cough* rant over

• Like 2