Cedar Point Planning Something Big?

Being a curious individual, I always want to know what a park (especially Cedar Point) is planning for their next big attraction. After looking through some interviews and several noted speeches, I am beginning to piece together that Cedar Point is planning for something big. In a coaster crew interview with Tony Clark, he stated that while looking over their current five year plan, he said "What? Are you kidding me?" or something along those lines. Also, on Gatekeeper's media day, Matt Ouimet stated that "We've given Rob another challenge" (Rob Decker being the Vice President of Planning and Design at Cedar Fair. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about Cedar Point's plan and what you think might be coming next.

• Like 2

I don't see anything in your post to lead me believe Cedar Point is planning something "big." As you say, Rob Decker is that position for Cedar Fair, not just Cedar Point. His challenge could have been Banshee, it could be Carowinds 2015, or a number of other possibilities. As for 5-years plans, parks have always been rumored to have them. That comment is more along the lines of, "We'

re not going to reveal anything.

Devarious, on the other hand, could be something interesting. I checked Pointbuzz, but can't find it. Do you have a link?

• Like 1

Rumored? A five year plan is a tool businesses use to accomplish a list of goals. They are subject to change randomly. The coaster that became Intimidator had been on and off Carowinds' five year plan for more than five years. A master plan is a similar concept...

Just because a ride ends up on either concept for removal, replace or installation doesnt mean it will or wont happen.

• Like 5

They have planned to add a "big" addition this year with Pipe Scream, and Lake Erie Eagles, ironically a huge addition to the eyes of Kings Island enthusiasts.

(To some, it will probably be nick-named "Lake Erie Seagulls")

• Like 3

VP is due for a new woodie - not to replace, but as an addition. When? Those in charge (and maybe a few others) know, and I think some current attractions will be moved or removed to make room for this new massive thing - but not any coasters.

• Like 2

I have no authority or inside information, just a gut feeling on this after reading the tea leaves, but I think the "5 year plan" for Cedar Fair (ie across the chain) is to install 1 large attraction per season at their 5 biggest midwest/east coast parks. CW got Leviathan 2 years ago, Cedar Pointe got Gate Keeper last season, KI gets Banshee this season, there is the rumored (Centurian?) 300'+ ride at Carowinds for next season, then KD will get a large coaster/ride installation in 2016. Starting in 2017 the cycle will repeat itself. Knotts is kind of out on an island in respect to the rest of their parks and will operate on an independent cycle from the rest of the chain, the other parks are smaller parks in terms of revenue and will get "large" attraction much less frequently. As seen at all of these parks, there will be small to intermediate additions made in b/w each parks 5 year cycle.

Gate Keeper is still relatively fresh and there is a decent chunk of fans that would like to ride it, but haven't made it up to the Pointe yet (myself for one), to add another huge addition next season would be a Dick Kinzel move, taking away some of Gate Keeper's glory while its still "new" in the eyes of many.

Knotts biggest problem, is room, they already operate a year round schedule and have one of the most popular restaurants in the country.

I think Knotts attention will be to beat Lego Land, Disney, the new Great wolf Disney land. Plus you have Six flags, and Universal, and the beaches to compete with.

For the smaller parks I see your opinion not much of anything, maybe even one day Cedar Fair would only keep the big parks. Time will tell.

in rumored (Centurian?)

Centurion?

BB1, the Roman Empire enthusiast.

That beth the rumorth...

Who would believed Carowinds wood get a giga before KI, speaking of wood....

If CP gets a third woodie, I could see that ending Mean Streak which I am surprised it's Streak hasnt already been stopped.

• Like 2

^ Somehow, I'm actually really okay with that. I thought the wooden parts of Georgia Cyclone were some of the best parts; the topper tracked portion seemed somewhat tamed by comparison.

Also, I want Georgia Cyclone in my back yard, because that ride is fantastic. But that's beside the point. :D

With the way Six Flags has been doing Rocky Mountain projects, I'm nervous for the future of Boss. I love it exactly the way it is, Gerstlauer trains and all. With the way the first drop of Georgia Cyclone seemed very "controlled" compared to the rest of the ride, I would be incredibly sad to see any part of that ride tamed or be turned into overbanked turns or inversions or whatever the heck those things in the middle of Iron Rattler are.

I've been on one topper tracked coaster (Georgia Cyclone) and one I-Box tracked coaster (Iron Rattler). I never rode the original Rattler, as I've only been to Fiesta Texas once. Between the two options, topper track (except for Outlaw Run) seems to be meant to compliment an existing ride experience, whereas I-Box reinvents it. I'd really like to see Cedar Fair experiment with topper track on a few of its wooden coasters to see if they can remove trims, as I've never been on a Cedar Fair wooden coaster that felt like a failed idea in the way Rattler was. Mean Streak wouldn't top many lists with it, but I think it could be an enjoyable ride if some of the valleys were smoother and the trims weren't there. When it's retracked, it isn't a half-bad ride. I've said before how I'd be interested in Beast being lightly reprofiled with topper track and articulating trains so trims could be lessened or removed.

I was going somewhere with this post, and then my mind went blank. D'oh.

EDIT: Oh! I remembered:

Of course, of any of the Cedar Fair wooden coasters I've ridden, I'd sooner peg Mean Streak for a full I-Box renovation than any of the others. It seems to have the biggest "canvas" to work with, much like Texas Giant. But I'd still rather see them make a quality experience from the ride they already have than making an entirely new ride out of it.

• Like 1

Back to the Cedar Point topic, in case you haven't heard it yet, I'd highly recommend checking out Tony's recent podcast. In it he addresses many things, including the "Five Year Plan." He sounds genuinely exciting about what's coming and it sounds like some major additions will be added. Both within the next 2-3 years and as well for CP's 150th anniversary in 2019.

• Like 1