The Beast 35th Anniversary

TheBEASTunchained

Being told take some of it with a grain of salt (4th woodie, etc.)

Yeah, I figured that one...since I have been told from good sources that what became TOP GUN was pretty much 100% designed and all that before Paramount had bought the park, among other things. Though the fact the park did, 7 years later in 2000, build a 4th wooden coaster (Son of Beast) does hint it may have been on the drawing board for the future at the time, and the park's desire for another woodie was indeed there.

• Like 2

...ehh? I found something weird on The Beast's page on the "Thrill Rides" section of KI's website...

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/rides/Thrill-Rides-12-14-11-44/The-Beast

WARNING: This ride contains strobe lighting and utilizes magnetic systems during the ride.

I know the trim brakes are likely the magnetic systems, but...strobe lighting? Something new for 2014? :huh:

Big Dipper would be close to 100...Built 1925, but again has been SBNO since 07..

I miss that ride, such a beautiful simple coaster.

Second that motion. Rode it 10x in a row the last year in operation with my oldest son. Great ride!

Yeah, rode it lots in Geauga Lake days and rode 10x in a row the final year as well. Wish that ride or a rebuild would come to KI.

• Like 2

I remember first time I rode Beast in 84. I was scared to death. but loved it!! went back to KI for Beast 25th anniversary with my ex wife. felt like it was my first time again on it.

Rode Son of Beast the year Cedar Fair bought Kings Island and wasn't impress. didn't have loop but I jumped on Beast right after that.

I hoping I get to ride beast for its 35. and Beast at night topes them all. even my coasters at my home park at C.Point.

• Like 2

Big Dipper would be close to 100...Built 1925, but again has been SBNO since 07..

I miss that ride, such a beautiful simple coaster.

Second that motion. Rode it 10x in a row the last year in operation with my oldest son. Great ride!

Yeah, rode it lots in Geauga Lake days and rode 10x in a row the final year as well. Wish that ride or a rebuild would come to KI.

What coasters are around that are 100 years old?

Super late response here, but a sloppy search on RCDB turns up three coasters:

Leap the Dips from Lakemont Park in Pennsylvania opened in 1902

Scenic Railway from Luna Park in Australia opened in 1912

Rutschebanen from Tivoli Gardens in Denmark opened in 1914

This doesn't include coasters which opened 100+ years ago but have since been relocated to other parks, nor does it include anything the site is uncertain on (such as "Opened 1904 or earlier").

• Like 3

sorry interpreter but I did capitalized those rides. why I didn't go through like that I do not know. plus nsmes is spelled names just for your info.

The Interpreter is a registered member of Kings Island Central Forums . As such, his name is always capitalized. :P

• Like 10

sorry interpreter but I did capitalized those rides. why I didn't go through like that I do not know. plus nsmes is spelled names just for your info.

The Interpreter is a registered member of Kings Island Central Forums . As such, his name is always capitalized. :P

so then your saying all of KI Central members names should be capital as well?!! lol

• Like 1

The Beast is such a great experience. I remember the surreal moment after the first time riding it. The whole world had opened up to me, and suddenly those big bad roller coasters weren't as terrifying. For so many people, it is treated as a rite of passage. I still thank my brother for getting me to ride it that first time. I wouldn't have loved roller coasters if weren't for The Beast. Here's to you big guy! Happy 35! B)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Kings Island on Facebook :

"In this January 1979 photo, construction of the world's longest wooden roller coaster, "The Beast," was nearing completion. Celebrating its 35th anniversary this year, The Beast continues to rank among the top wooden roller coasters in the world in annual industry and enthusiast polls."

hti9s4.jpg

Photo : Don Helbig / Kings Island via Facebook

• Like 12

Kings Island on Facebook :

"On this date 35 years ago, construction workers that helped build The Beast and park employees were the first to test ride it. The ride was officially, and quite appropriately, “unchained” in a steady downpour on Friday, April 13, 1979, for hundreds of media representatives from around the U.S. and Great Britain."

1zbvs6c.jpg

• Like 8

Kings Island on Facebook:

"The Beast celebrates its 35th anniversary this year. While the park had announced it was building the world's longest wooden roller coaster July 10, 1978, the name of the ride wasn't introduced until 67 days before it made its public debut April 14, 1979."

2r2rd6e.jpg

• Like 11