A Day at IDORA PARK

Our country has lost several smaller parks since the rise of the theme parks, I wonder if the larger parks like Kings Island had an indirect correlation with closure of smaller parks. I know Idora Park had a fire that destoryed several rides but I think they may have limped along for a season without repairing the damage.

I signed the petition to save the Jack Rabbit back in the 2000s.

• Like 3

The 'Merry-Go-Round' is still functioning, and is currently at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge in NYC.

Luckily they were able to limit the damage done to it during Hurricane Sandy. Want to go there one day and ride it. A little piece of my hometown history.

Whenever I pass Billingsgate Avenue, I always look down it for a few seconds and wonder what was and what could have been.

Well, time to get the Idora Park book out of my closet and have a read-through tonight.

• Like 5

Thanks for posting the videos! I have Charles Jacques' wonderful book on the park, but I haven't seen video of the park before.

The firetrucks at 2:11 in the first video have been restored and are now at Conneaut Lake Park, but with the uncertain future of that park, who knows what will happen to them now. When we went to CLP last August, they weren't operating, but Mrs. Gator fondly reminisced about riding those as a kid.

• Like 1

Why does it seem like most of these small parks I read about go up in flames? Is it that hard to keep things from catching fire? (Serious question... I'm not an electrician)

Because...

1.) Mostly everything at Idora Park was made of wood.

2.) Fire hydrants didn't have good pressure nearest to the park.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...