6th Annual Coasting for Kids - Sunday, June 8

jcgoble3

I am playing a gorilla in Class Act Drama's production of Tarzan! Class Act is allowing me to set up a donation table at the June 7th show for Coasting for Kids. My mom will be working the table for me since I will be on stage. If anyone would like to come see the show, all the information is on the picture. I posted this on this thread and the theater thread, I hope that's okay.

TARZANPoster001_zps6adfac8a.jpg

• Like 6

If you're registered, check your email. Main points:

1. Registration will close tonight at 5pm.

2. Donation cutoff is noon Friday.

3. Riders will indeed be limited to two consecutive rides before a mandatory break, which is stupid as it unnecessarily takes 90% of the fun out of the event. This only reinforces my decision not to participate.

Also, I had a second email asking for my shirt size and number of years participated. Check whether you got the same and reply accordingly. (I replied that I was not participating at all.)

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

If you're registered, check your email. Main points:

1. Registration will close tonight at 5pm.

2. Donation cutoff is noon Friday.

3. Riders will indeed be limited to two consecutive rides before a mandatory break, which is stupid as it unnecessarily takes 90% of the fun out of the event. This only reinforces my decision not to participate.

Also, I had a second email asking for my shirt size and number of years participated. Check whether you got the same and reply accordingly. (I replied that I was not participating at all.)

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

The two ride limit is probably too stop people from hogging the front or back seat.

There are also more participants registered than there are seats on two trains of The Racer. A two-ride limit would give everyone a chance to ride.

I can't make it this weekend, but good luck to those participating and raising money!

• Like 1

In previous years, people wouldn't hog the front seat. I'd usually wait until towards the end of the event to go in the front, and after that around every 5 laps or so, see if anyone wanted the front, and most of the time nobody did, but when they would I would just get another seat.

And nobody dared to hog the back seat on The Racer.

• Like 5

There are also more participants registered than there are seats on two trains of The Racer. A two-ride limit would give everyone a chance to ride.

I can't make it this weekend, but good luck to those participating and raising money!

At this moment, 47 people of those registered have raised the minimum to participate. Not saying they rest don't have the offline donations or are still waiting for donations to come in. I'm wondering if those who are non-riders raising funds are on the site as well for the event.

I entered my off line donations as I received them. I'm still wondering what a brake is going to considered after the 2 rides? Changing seats, walking around through the Fast Lane Line, or waiting in the exit for the next train?

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone who has helped Princess Sparkles. I need to enter off line donations still, but she has hit the minimum. She is $15 away from $100 if anyone is looking to give, she'd like to hit at least $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I have been on here since after work today wanting to register for this as I didn't realize that it was this Sunday (I work so much and didn't realize the date came up so fast). Please tell me that I didn't miss the registration. I haven't missed in two years and this year I'm married now but my wife is pregnant and she is not a rider that understands what it is that do all day and enjoys it. Please can somebody help me? I don't want to miss out on this. Thank you.

^ According to Jonathan's post above, paraphrasing from the e-mail sent to participants, registration closed today at 5:00pm.

If you want to see if they can make an exception and register you a few hours late, send an e-mail right now to sara.kuykendall@visitkingsisland.com . Make sure to mention that this would be your third year.

This is a chain-wide event, so it might be impossible to make individual exceptions.

• Like 3

Thank you Malem. My email was sent into cyberspace to her. I hope it's not too late. I am having a horrible year. I Married in September last year and by December, my wife was ready to call it quits. I know I was her rebound from an Ohio guy she moved out from Cali to be with and his five year old daughter. When she finally moved here, he didn't want her and I think I got caught up in all that drama and found out things later that would support that and her history as I was her rebound. So, I really neeeeed this day out. We're also having a baby in August 24 - Sept 1st, it's changed twice now. lol. She doens't understand why we put ourselves through all this to just ride coasters all day. I love her, but it's not enough to fight with her trying to rationalize what it means to all of us here as I'm a coaster Geek. Thanks again. Didn't mean to rant. I have nobody to talk to. We live seperately and I come to the park alone. It's sad and I'm depressed about it.

I did start my GoFundMe account to help me raise the funds to go. Here is my link: http://www.gofundme.com/9tgbiw If anybody could share this for me I greatly appreciate it very much. Thank you.

• Like 1

It seems I'm having a little trouble navigating my participant center, specifically accessing personal donation pages for others. So to help me with my donations, and so I don't have to sort through this thread looking for links, please link your pages here one more time. I am specifically interested in anyone that has not yet met the $75 minimum, as I would like to focus my donations on those. I can afford about $40 to $50 this week, so help me make some donations!

• Like 2

Not sure if this will work since I am on mobile, but this link is to the KIC page.

http://support.gktw.org/site/TR/CoastingForKids/General?pg=team&fr_id=1236&team_id=1534

8y3utuhu.jpg

Gators page :

http://support.gktw.org/site/TR/CoastingForKids/General?px=1015750&pg=personal&fr_id=1236

There are a couple that are at $0. Not sure they are doing this.

• Like 3

Thank you! I was looking for the link to the team page in my participant center and couldn't find it, only the link to edit the page. I have no idea who Kordell and Jenni are; they both joined the team on April 30 and have not done anything with it. For all I know they could be random people who chose a random team when they signed up and aren't actually KIC members. Given that, unless there is someone else on here that is participating, hasn't met the minimum, and isn't part of the KIC team, I'll probably just drop $40 or so on Gator's page tomorrow or Thursday so he's at the minimum and be done with it.

• Like 1

Riders will indeed be limited to two consecutive rides before a mandatory break, which is stupid as it unnecessarily takes 90% of the fun out of the event. This only reinforces my decision not to participate.

The purpose of the event is to raise money for children with life-threatening illnesses. Anyone that wants to complain about only being able to ride two consecutive times before having to exit the train isn't participating in the event for the right reasons.

• Like 11

When you ask people to spend all day raising money for a cause, most will not do so unless they have a reason to enjoy it. When you take a significant portion of that enjoyment away, then no matter what the cause is, you should not be surprised when people back out because they don't feel they'll have fun. The activity used to raise money has a direct influence on how many people participate. I guarantee that you would not have nearly as many participants if the activity was standing in one place like a statue for eight hours instead of riding coasters.

For those that still find the event fun enough to participate, great. Have fun. I can think of ways to spend nine hours of my time and $10 in gas that are likely to be more fun. Once I find out what form these "breaks" take, then I will determine whether I will participate next year. As for this year, I was already leaning toward skipping it before I learned of this rule.

I don't mind the new rule, I just want to know what a brake consists of? Will it just be changing seats, waiting in the exit until the next train or walking around via the Fast Lane line?

Participants will exit the ride after two consecutive rides and re-enter through the Fast Lane entrance.

An email will go out Friday with the event details.

• Like 3

When you ask people to spend all day raising money for a cause, most will not do so unless they have a reason to enjoy it. When you take a significant portion of that enjoyment away, then no matter what the cause is, you should not be surprised when people back out because they don't feel they'll have fun. The activity used to raise money has a direct influence on how many people participate. I guarantee that you would not have nearly as many participants if the activity was standing in one place like a statue for eight hours instead of riding coasters.

For those that still find the event fun enough to participate, great. Have fun. I can think of ways to spend nine hours of my time and $10 in gas that are likely to be more fun. Once I find out what form these "breaks" take, then I will determine whether I will participate next year. As for this year, I was already leaning toward skipping it before I learned of this rule.

I really don't think that a change to the repeat riding procedure will take the enjoyment away from anyone. If it did, as Don said, that person would be participating for the wrong reasons.

You've been generous with this and with other events in the past, and I know that you enjoy helping others. That is the purpose of the event; it's not about achieving a certain ride count.

There will be plenty of opportunity to get lots of rides in. I'm sure that all who participate will have a great time. I wish that I could be there.

• Like 2

What exactly happens at Coasting For Kids? I know it's lots of coaster riding but I'm not quite sure what exactly is going on

I haven't done any event since the DB First Rider auction, so I'm kind of a newbie again.