Should Flight of Fear be re-themed?

italianchef

Do you think that Flight of Fear should be re-themed? I mean a new film for the queue and new decorations? If so, what should the new theme be? Being that it's an indoor, dark ride, I think theming it to Farscape with the idea that the guests are riding through a worm hole would be cool. What do you think?

• Like 3

Honestly, just the fact that we have an indoor, dark coaster is enough for me haha

If it were to be rethemed, I hope it wouldn't be off a movie or anything because licenses run out, and we all know what kind of tacky things can happen when we suddenly aren't allowed to have a goddess-- I mean, certain things anymore.

• Like 5

I don't necessarily think we need a re-theme, but a refresh. New lighting, I'd say a little bit of a reconfiguration of the queue, paint goes a long way on objects, newer tvs in the queue, with programming that's a little bit more up to date.

I don't think Farscape would be a good idea, as I had to Google it and I don't believe most would know what it was.

Edit-- Oops! I was not thinking on that one. Capitalization has been changed to avoid being in violation of the TOS.

• Like 7

I like it how it is. The video is kinda corny, but it's enjoyable. I'd be happy with some TLC in the queue and maybe some new lighting effects in the ride.

I completely agree about the video. If they changed/removed the video, it wouldn't take very long to see "bring back the old FoF queue video!"-type posts on KIC, for good reason. At this point it's pretty much become nostalgic. Plus I'm a dork and still get excited if I'm on the camera when they do one of those "we let the public in there!" look-ins on the queue, haha.

I'm probably in the minority but I think the queue is fine. I think it's one of the best-themed queues at KI. Plus it's pretty dark in there, so it's not like you need too many intricate details or anything.

I like the overall theme as well. I say keep it as is.

• Like 7

I love the theming the way it is now with the whole alien thing. However, I will agree with the whole "refresh" idea. I wouldn't mind a different video in the queue and perhaps some newer electronic devices placed near the flying saucer instead of the 1980s computer components. Other than that, it works just great for me!

• Like 6

I've mentioned this before; there is a 5-1/4" floppy drive disk on one of the computers that has been resting inside the que of FoF. I don't think it needs a retheme, hardly at all, and I wouldn't waste the money needed to make a new video for the que line, they're not going to get much bang for their buck there. However, you have to figure like most companies, there has to be a handful of computers that have more than exceeded their shelf life in the last 20 years at KI. Simply replacing their old models with the 5-1/4" drives with newer computers wouldn't make the que feel quite as dated. In my opinion, they could give an internship (paid or unpaid) to someone or a group of someones at the the Cincy School for the Conservation of Arts (I'm not sure the exact name, I know that is close, but its suppose to be a very good school). They should have a number of qualified people who are experienced putting together stage sets for plays, that could use those skills to update the que for FoF.

• Like 6

No ride should be re-themed at KI because as a former worker who strived to get theme working again, I was always let down by the Tech Services crew who did nothing to keep it alive. Remember the theme lights that were rusting away in The Beast station that magically returned one day in 2012, that wasn't Tech Services, that was from another department who hated seeing the theme become gone and forgotten (which again was not their responsibility).

Remember TRTR... not much needs to be said on that, if anything it proved that this park is unable to retain high theme.

• Like 9

Wouldn't it be awesome if inside the UFO was a pre-show? Instead of the movie being played while waiting, which means less people are actually paying attention, make the riders watch it. There could be a door before the staircase up to the UFO and a door at the end of the UFO. When each pre-show is done, they load up the riders onto the ride. I'm not talking a long pre-show, maybe 3 minutes that just sums up what's happening. Or, possibly, they could still show the movie in the queue, but add onto it with a pre-show. I don't know. I like pre-shows...!

• Like 8

The only thing I would change is moving the camera. When the video plays and says something about the crowd, seeing people in line and not an empty queue line would be better. I love the theming even though I find it a bit cheesy. I think the "cheese" adds charm.

I have said many times I wish they would redo the video. I do realize the majority of guests do not go to the park 3-4 times a year (or our 16-20 times a year) and they probably would not notice the changed video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

To your inquisition, I am deeply appalled at such an measure. The theme is, to the old classic theme of U.F.O.s and the classic idea of the Government cover up. The theme is the only one of it's kind at the park, and to the surrounding parks. Do tell me of a coaster themed to riding in a U.F.O. that isn't a light touch on a Point attraction which we shall not discuss.What people are pointing to are not the theming of the coaster itself, but to the pre-show element, which is by far the best in the whole park. Sure, the pre-show is outdated, but it is the theme of the coaster! Do you want RiverTown to be themed to a bunch of tall buildings, some ghetto people selling tickets at the street corners, and a long forgotten history that we will never revive again? No, you want the classic "Mid-Western" style, you want old style buildings, old fishing equipment, wooden stuff and a big metal box that we called The Crypt. When you have a theme, you must look at three things, time, setting, and placement. When do I feel like I am in when I go to Coney Mall, the 20's and the classic eras, right? Where do I feel like I am at in Oktoberfest, Germany and the Northern Europe, right? When I place a few old machinery in a walkway, it looks stupid, but if I place it in a place that has overgrowth, then it would look rustic.

I may be one of the last of the many retro people on this forum who cares for such an theme, or much theme at all when it comes down to a few things. Remember X-Files? I can't help but be reminded of the show when I ride FoF, and when I look at the building. Remember Outer Limits? Well, you should. The theme itself is the classic 80's-90's aircraft hangar with a mysterious U.F.O. inside. I wouldn't think I would see a HD Telle in there, right? I go into the hangar, I see a large aircraft, where do I feel like I am at? Hangar 18 of course, more explicitly for those alien junkies, Wright Patterson Air Force Base. When I am in the "Bowl", I feel like I am in space, because I see absolute nothing, though, some flashing lights or light projections with some X-Files theme techno would be fantastic. Everything in the pre-show hints towards each other, the video, the props, and the station itself, it all helps to give that idea and presence that I am in a hangar and there is something not right.

It is excellent as is, please do not change it.

BB1, hoping for the best with Flight of Fear than the Rock N' Rollercoaster.

• Like 2

Not only IS there a Hangar 18, but it's one of the greatest songs of all-time, without question.

The only change in theming that I would possibly be down with for FoF would be this song being played on loop once you made it into the UFO, or add some of the elements from this music video, but for obvious reasons, that would never happen and only a very small portion of the population would be as geeked out as I would if this change were to be made :)

• Like 4

There is no Hangar 18...trust me...there is a BLDG 18 but very very unrelated

The only mysterious hangar on base is the R&D hangar...very nifty and odd things..From Memphis Belle to An A-10 Gatling Gun..

I understand, it is just conspiracy theories that the alien junkies have created, pulling logos to my point.

He's how I think needs to happen. Keep Flight of Fear, themed around the same idea. Upgrade the queue theming though.

Replace the old computer monitors with newer slim computer monitors (most of them wouldn't even have to be working!), replace the current TV's with flat screens, have all the flashing lights working on the outside of the spaceship, have the que line video, redone into HD and also have the sound enhanced (maybe have someone redo/improve the animations in the video too?), Add a special effects, lighting package tied into the video (nothing that lowers the quality of lighting in their but more or less adds to it).

Inside the spaceship, neon glowing lights, ride boarding area, make it look like their is aliens "alive" in the "body bags" on the walls, like have the bag "inflate" and "deflate".

On the ride, when you launch off in the tunnel, have a bunch of small little lights that gives the illusion of stars, after that have some aliens flash on real quick as you pass them by.

At the exit station, have a little story their that ties into the one from the line queue.

No ride should be re-themed at KI because as a former worker who strived to get theme working again, I was always let down by the Tech Services crew who did nothing to keep it alive. Remember the theme lights that were rusting away in The Beast station that magically returned one day in 2012, that wasn't Tech Services, that was from another department who hated seeing the theme become gone and forgotten (which again was not their responsibility).

Remember TRTR... not much needs to be said on that, if anything it proved that this park is unable to retain high theme.

Management has shifted. The park might be willing to go the extra mile to maintain now. The park's themed rides can probably receive better R&R. Sure they might be able to keep things going on a daily biases, but they could probably do weekly/monthly fixes to broken effects.

For the first time, the park has hired an Executive chief, why not hire someone to make sure the special effects are working right on a weekly biases?

Because if the management wants to fix the theming around the park, they need to start with consistency. Why hasn't Adventure Express' theming ever operated consistently? The same could be asked of Flight of Fear and even Starlight Spectacular and the Royal Fountains to an extent. How long has theming sat broken?

I think the powers that be are interested in minimal theming which is why I think Backlot Stunt Coaster is what it is today. Management needs to show consistency all across the board before jumping in to a huge project that they're not ready for.

• Like 1

While I love theming I do not expect the best and most extravagant from a seasonal park. Atmosphere is a better word for what I would like to see more of at Kings Island. Examples of what I mean are the Gatekeeper and Leviathan plazas, which I think are beautiful. Something like this at Banshee along with trees and flower gardens could go a long way for me. As for Flight of Fear all I ask is include the lights going out again in the que. I would love more theme but with all the big investments being made I have no problem with keeping what we have wit FOF.

• Like 3