The Chicken Shack!

jasonondropzone

The food was really good but I am a bit surprised at the pricing. $10 for how it was served at media day with the sauce and bread would be fair and would be very profitable for them as well. $15-16 for all of that plus a drink and you are going to be up to $20 for chicken tenders...wow.

• Like 6

Make the individual meal price high enough and you drive the day-long meal plan participation, and to some extent the season long meal plan for passholders, which may be the intent - overall they make more money because some will be set against purchasing the daily meal plan and will thus pay more after two meals than if they bought the plan.

• Like 2

I've been craving Cane's forever now. The one on Tylersville can't come soon enough!

I agree! Waiting anxiously (still)...

Mrs. Gator & GatorGirl got to have Cane's on Monday when they drove back through Lexington. They were nice enough to bring me a cup of the sauce back. I have to wait until June when I drive through Louisville for my Cane's fix though... but I plan on having it twice that weekend, once on the way to IL and again on the return trip.

I had Chicken Shack during Media day and thought it was pretty good. I described it like this: Just like Hank's Burrito Shack is a pretty good imitation of Chipotle, The Chicken Shack is a pretty good imitation of Raising Cane's. They're both not quite as flavorful as the originals they're trying to emulate, but it's close enough to not make me want to go outside the park to either of those restaurants (that is, if Cane's was closer to the park). I have yet to make my decision on The Chicken Shack's prices, but Hank's prices (as of last year) were fine with me.

I described it like this: Just like Hank's Burrito Shack is a pretty good imitation of Chipotle, The Chicken Shack is a pretty good imitation of Raising Cane's. They're both not quite as flavorful as the originals they're trying to emulate, but it's close enough to not make me want to go outside the park to either of those restaurants

Both locations are spins on popular concepts, but they aren't necessarily trying to clone the food of those specific chains.

• Like 1

There's also Zaxby's, for that matter, using basically the same concept.

cs-zax.jpg

(source: zaxbys.com)

The chicken I was served Thursday had a breading that appeared much lighter than the chicken in the website pictures above. Kings Island was apparently going for a more "home cooked" taste, and I heard that they got positive reviews. I've never tried either chain, so I really can't compare.

• Like 3

Raising Canes is awesome chicken, bread, fries and slaw. Zaxby's is aw-something else, in my opinion. I would drive and have driven many miles out of the way to eat at Raising Canes. I'd gladly drive the same distance not to eat at Zaxby's.

Terp, who lived for too long too close to Zaxby's, and who hasn't yet lived close enough to Canes.

• Like 10

The Chicken Shack also has chicken salads, which are nowhere to be found on Raising Cane's menu. KI's dining page also mentions wraps and wings, though I didn't see those last weekend.

I agree all the TV screens were playing just for the 3 or 4 pcs. tenders meals, but after 3 1/2 hours waiting in line for Banshee, I was not ready to discuss menu options, I was hungry and thirsty.

I suspect that I'll be trying more menu items at KI this year, thanks to the new dining plan option. I'm looking forward to tasting wraps from The Chicken Shack and gluten-free pizza from the Festhaus.

By the way, looking at Raising Cane's website, I noticed that they (finally) switched to a trans fat-free cooking oil. They were one of the holdouts sticking with liquid shortening in their fryers.

• Like 5

^ Yes, there are several of them in Columbus.

Assuming that you'll take I-71 straight through, the easiest location to get to would be on Polaris Pkwy just east of I-71. (Take exit 121, keep right at the exit, turn right onto Polaris Pkwy, and continue about one half mile. It will be on the right, near a Huntington Bank branch. If you get to United Dairy Farmers, you went too far.)

I'm surprised that chugh43 hasn't chimed in here yet.

• Like 3

Here is a pic of the chicken, fries and delicious garlic bread from Chicken Shack.

uge8uban.jpg

That was delicious on Media Day, but I recall looking at it and thinking, "Man, it's going to be a little pricey for the standard $8 meal". I didn't imagine it would be $13 -- which is a shame. The entire meal was very, very good - but I can't see folks shelling out that much for that plate of food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if Cane's knows.... O never mind. :ph34r:

DiamondAceExpress, the one that the Gatorettes and I go to when driving through Columbus is just south of downtown in Grove City, at 1944 Stringtown Rd. From 71-North, take exit 100, turn left, and it will be about a half mile down on the right. I find it funny that it's right next to KFC. We go to this one because we can't wait the extra time it takes to get up to Polaris for our Cane's fix.

They will be opening one at the former Five Guys location on Tylersville eventually. A little birdy (not Jr for Birdy, and not a chicken... nor a NoChicken for that matter) told me recently that it's been delayed a little while, so I'll keep waiting and it will remain a roadtrip fixture for now.

• Like 4