The Chicken Shack!

jasonondropzone

DiamondAceExpress, the one that the Gatorettes and I go to when driving through Columbus is just south of downtown in Grove City, at 1944 Stringtown Rd. From 71-North, take exit 100, turn left, and it will be about a half mile down on the right. I find it funny that it's right next to KFC. We go to this one because we can't wait the extra time it takes to get up to Polaris for our Cane's fix.

They will be opening one at the former Five Guys location on Tylersville eventually. A little birdy (not Jr for Birdy, and not a chicken... nor a NoChicken for that matter) told me recently that it's been delayed a little while, so I'll keep waiting and it will remain a roadtrip fixture for now.

I read Cane's paid more than a million dollars for that location and the guys owning Five Guys said that was more profit than they would have made as a restaurant there in 10+ years. Thats why they sold it to Canes.

And I gotta get back

to the

Chicken Shack.....

Terp, of a certain age.

Whoa baby.....

• Like 5

Dined at The Chicken Shack not once, but twice this weekend, and I think the food is well worth those prices. If you compare it to the LaRosa's meal, two slices for the price of an entire large pizza at the actual restaurant, it's a good value.

As I do with Cane's, I ordered the sandwich meal, finding it odd that they use the toast instead of the buns depicted on the picture, but that actually made it taste better, in my opinion. The first time, they used two pieces of toast, thus creating a sandwich. The second, the employee tried to gip me of a second, thus requiring me to explain what a sandwich was.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Dined at The Chicken Shack not once, but twice this weekend, and I think the food is well worth those prices. If you compare it to the LaRosa's meal, two slices for the price of an entire large pizza at the actual restaurant, it's a good value.

As I do with Cane's, I ordered the sandwich meal, finding it odd that they use the toast instead of the buns depicted on the picture, but that actually made it taste better, in my opinion. The first time, they used two pieces of toast, thus creating a sandwich. The second, the employee tried to gip me of a second, thus requiring me to explain what a sandwich was.

With the sandwich meal are you talking Canes or Chicken Shack? At Canes you can order it regular (on the bun) or your can order it on toast. Either way it comes with sauce on the sandwich unless you ask for it on the side.

With the sandwich meal are you talking Canes or Chicken Shack? At Canes you can order it regular (on the bun) or your can order it on toast. Either way it comes with sauce on the sandwich unless you ask for it on the side.

I was unaware that you could order the sandwich on toast at Cane's.

At The Chicken Shack, at least on both occasions I had dined there, they were using toast for the bread. The picture on the menu shows actual buns, so they might've been out at the time.

I will say that the chicken itself was better on the first trip. On the second, it was a tad on the burned side.

Our Chicken was better the second time but they changed the Toast!

It's now Square and more like normal Texas Toast as opposed to the rectangular Bread they served in the beginning.

The first gen bread was much better and since we don't eat grains normally, it was more of a "treat' for us.

No chicken strip meal with fries is worth 14-16 bucks to me.

While it is good and you do get a good amount for the money, I would have to agree with you.

The only reason we keep getting it is because of the Season Long Meal Deal. It makes it even more of a value.

• Like 1

If I had the meal plan I'd probably give it a go every no and then however since I do not have it I will not be buying during the season. I'll stick with Potato Works.

Also I can get Potato Works for 8 bucks and share it with my wife without ridicule since I don't get the meal plans.

^Much better picture!

That's really disappointing that it does in fact appear as though the combo does not include the Texas Toast or the dipping sauce. That brings the meal up to $16.97, which is incredibly expensive for what you get.

checked out the shack this evening. KI is mighty proud of this to charge those prices. walked right back out.

Season long dining plan is where it's at! Or if you got the all you can eat plan ($30) eating their twice and then somewhere else would cover the cost of it.

I wonder if toast and/or dipping sauce is included in season long dinging/all you can eat plan?

• Like 1

Season long dining plan is where it's at! Or if you got the all you can eat plan ($30) eating their twice and then somewhere else would cover the cost of it.

I wonder if toast and/or dipping sauce is included in season long dinging/all you can eat plan?

It has been included in our Season Long Plan both times so far.

• Like 1

Our Chicken was better the second time but they changed the Toast!

It's now Square and more like normal Texas Toast as opposed to the rectangular Bread they served in the beginning.

The first gen bread was much better and since we don't eat grains normally, it was more of a "treat' for us.

That's a shame. The toast was my favorite part of the meal. Is it just the size and shape of the bread that has changed, or is it now actual, hard, crunchy toast as opposed to the soft, tasty goodness of the toast in name only?

Those who thought the chicken was underseasoned on Media Day/Opening Day should try it again. There was considerably more breading and marinade yesterday.

(Though I liked it better the original way, as I prefer much less salt than most people do.)

• Like 3

^ I agree. I like food well-seasoned and with just enough salt, but no more.

By using more of the marinade and breading mixtures, yesterday's chicken was both saltier and more heavily spiced. In my opinion, it was slightly over-seasoned and significantly over-salted.

Hopefully they get the process ironed out as the season goes on. (Though I won't be there often, regardless, as I very rarely eat deep fried food.)

• Like 5

Salty and Seasoned need not be the same thing as well.

I was not implying that they were. I actually prefer very little salt in my food.

Many people like (savory) food to taste salty. As a result, appealing too the masses often means adding too much salt.

Salt is an important part of seasoning as one of the basic tastes, but it's far from being the only part.

Since I've never been to a Cane's, can someone explain to me what the sauce at Chicken Shack tastes like? Is it similar to like a Chick-Fil-A sauce, which is kind of honey-mustardy (though not as honey-mustardy as honey mustard), or is it more like a ranch? There's a place called Tender Towne about 5 minutes from where I live; their tenders are outstanding but their dipping sauce is like a really weird ranch that I'm not too keen to. I'm hoping to try Chicken Shack my next visit, but only if their dipping sauce is top notch.

Chicken Shack has two dipping sauces available. One was described to me as a "ranch sauce". I haven't tried it, but I assume that it is simply ranch dressing or something similar based on ranch dressing. The other is the "house sauce", which is orange in color. The house sauce taste is difficult for me to describe, but it pairs well with the chicken and has just the slightest hint of spiciness to it; you can barely notice it, but it's there.

The tables outside the Chicken Shack also have several sauce bottles on them, including generic "mild" to "hot" sauces as well as Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce, if you prefer something different.

Guest dtk1376

Agree Chicken Shack is good, had it for the first time today. The prices are a little outrageous but I got the season long dining deal so that doesn't bother me lol. It is nice to have an alternative to Chik Fil A for something with chicken since I am not a fan of that restaurant. Oh, and the texas toast was great, my daughter who normally doesn't come close to garlic bread even ate it.

Sorry I haven't posted my Tuesday trip yet, as posted elsewhere, it's a crazy busy schedule for me as of late.

We did Chicken Shack Tuesday for lunch, was very pleased this time around. Media Day was mass quantities of good free food, I can't complain. Was quality off there a tad that day, yeah, but was it decent, oh of course. This time though, everything was much better. The breading was slapped on a bit more and had a bit of seasoning this time, not just a bread taste. The chicken was not gushing with grease, which made me very happy. Last time it was so greasy the chicken would seep when bitten into. Chicken this time around was good. Def. seals the deal on me getting the dining plan to continue eating here and a few other places the rest of the year.

Fries changed a bit. it's almost potato works quality..almost. Nice soft, salty, tasty fries. Didn't need any ketchup or anything, good just the way it was. Which is how fries should be.

Bread did change, it's a bigger now, which I'm not complaining, it was my favorite part of the meal. The bread this time was a bit drier this time, not the soft buttery goodness of media day, but was still quite enjoyable.

Sauces: I got the chipotle ranch/mayo deal they offer, which is a good sauce. My only gripe was the small cup they give you is half full if that. I went back and spent a buck on a second cup that was at least a little better. For a 4 strip combo deal they offer, one small cup is not going to go that far IMO. I think they need to be like McD's and offer more sauces for more. Think if youy get a 10 piece, you get 2 BBQ's, 20pc you get 4 or something like that. Or at least fill the cups full of the sauces, don't be greedy it's a sauce for chicken, lather it up haha. Speaking of sauces. The table now has squirt bottles of BBQ, Medium & Hot sauce. The BBQ is Montgomery Inn as we all know. The Medium/Mild is almost like a Charleys Subs Buffalo sauce you get on a Buffalo Chicken there. The Hot does have a bit of bite to it. You only need a dab of this stuff but it's a good hot sauce flavor. That stuff was great on the fries as I tried all the sauces avail. to get a feel for what I like come future visits.

Overall, good food, good price, and very enjoyable. The 4 strip combo is hefty though, my eyes were bigger than my gut I can say that. That's honestly a meal to split. Three is nice to get that extra bit of chicken, but I think future I'll go for two strip combos.

They did finally offer the wraps & sandwich, but it's basically strips in a wrap or strips on a bun (which to me is pathetic..and pretty cheap, gimmie a breaded chicken breast or something man). I may try em in the future but I think I'll stick to two strips, fries, sauce, and a Shock Top.

• Like 2

Have the dining plan, so planning on trying it out this afternoon. Good feedback on here I can tell and seems like good feedback all over the place with this one. Good to see something new being embraced quickly and positively.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...