Slaughterhouse 2014?

Delirium2018

What I'm trying to say is that, yes there are a lot of mazes. Some of them are just there to be there (Urgent, Club Blood) they could easily take out some of the pointless mazes(Urgent, Club Blood, Holiday Horror) and focus on the mazes that have major potentials just not showing them. Mazes like Slaughterhouse and Madame's could be way scarier and thrilling but Kings Island just worries about plopping great mazes one year, then the next it's all boring, run down, and not even scary!(Madame) I absolutely loved the Bored 2 Death. I'm just worried that's it's going to turn out like the Madame Fatales! Good the first year, and then terrible the next.

Ringmaster I never imagined things that way til you laid out facts like that, and you made sense. I love hallowen, especially as a Bobcat, but it felt less intense the last few years. I would gladly wait longer for an "immersive" scare rather than a plethora of middle of the road trails/mazes. There is much wasted potential, but a few things shine. The new Scarezones were fantasfic in my opinion. More scare actors with Wolf Pact members intensity would be great.

I cross threaded a bit...enjoy Yuenling Lager and post responsibly.

• Like 1

Ringmaster I never imagined things that way til you laid out facts like that, and you made sense. I love hallowen, especially as a Bobcat, but it felt less intense the last few years. I would gladly wait longer for an "immersive" scare rather than a plethora of middle of the road trails/mazes. There is much wasted potential, but a few things shine. The new Scarezones were fantasfic in my opinion. More scare actors with Wolf Pact members intensity would be great.

I cross threaded a bit...enjoy Yuenling Lager and post responsibly.

I wish I could enjoy Yuenling, but for now, it is not sold in Indianapolis. With a trip to Ohio looming next weekend, I will likely "smuggle" a case back over the Indiana line! :)

• Like 3

When me and my friend went there, They really only scared the girls (As you can hear there screams throughout the park :P) I walked past about 5 scareactors and they didnt even go for me. If they were to go for about all age groups and not just girls/couples, Then it would be more scary.

From the perspective of a "monster", it's a double-edged sword when it comes to scaring people: always targeting the easily scared means you're alienating the rest of the group, but you know you'll get a good reaction, whereas attempting to startle those with a "straight face" means you have a 50/50 chance of either getting a positive or negative reaction, at worst the scare failing completely and you being chastised for it from the group.

Maze monsters, for the most part, have a somewhat easier time with this because the groups come to them every 45 seconds. They pop out from behind a curtain or a door or a window, scare the group, and that's it. They never see that group again. If they messed up or somehow got the wrong part of the group, tough luck; the next monster can pick up the slack (unless you're the last scare of the maze).

Street monsters don't have that luxury of waiting and resetting scares, ESPECIALLY during an event that takes place at an amusement park. Having worked the streets of both Kings Island's Haunt and most recently The Dent Schoolhouse, I can comfortably say that street monsters have it the hardest when it comes to scaring people. Unlike being in a maze where the people that come through are, 99% of the time, the ones who ACTUALLY want to walk through a haunted house, there are thousands outside the houses that may NOT want to partake in the festivities (like a certain group of enthusiasts that only go for night rides on roller coasters, not mentioning any names) and accost monsters for somehow ruining their night. Amidst all the chaos that is trying to entertain what could be 7,000+ people in an area like Coney Mall, some take to being full-on entertainers, interacting and conversing with guests while in character, compared to simply just running around and popping in and out of groups, even though that works just as well.

I think the point is that not everyone is going to have the same reaction to a scare as most would expect/hope. Some think that going after the girls is just a rookie move or a fallback scare. I beg to differ; most people that don't scare easily have a blast watching other people get scared, and that's the most important part of the experience. It's to have fun, whether you're watching someone running for their life or actually running for YOUR life.

• Like 10

I know this is very random, but my birthday falls on Haunt opening night this year. (NO, we are not having a "KIC gets ohiocolts to go through all the Haunts on his birthday event". Not gonna happen.)

If it did happen, you know you couldn't resist coming. Gator would have an extra special "greeting" for you, I'm sure. :)

We did it for your mom last year, so...

• Like 5

I know this is very random, but my birthday falls on Haunt opening night this year. (NO, we are not having a "KIC gets ohiocolts to go through all the Haunts on his birthday event". Not gonna happen.)

If it did happen, you know you couldn't resist coming. Gator would have an extra special "greeting" for you, I'm sure. :)

We did it for your mom last year, so...

I'm tempted to make the last part of your response my signature Malem.

• Like 1

Or...how about combining Club Blood with Slaughterhouse....call it Club Slaughter...come for the club...stay for the slaughter.

Sam and the Slaughter House boys are not as attractive in skimpy outfits as the girls in Club Blood. A truly terrifying sight indeed!

Yeah, but that might make for a really great haunt! :lol:

• Like 1

Here's an idea.

We're all fanb... Enthusiasts here, no? How many times are we going to visit Halloween Haunt per season in comparison to the general public? For some of us, a lot more! Which means that we're going through the same haunts time and time again, year after year. So what happens then? They get less scarier. We get used to it. I think it's unfair to just claim that these haunts are lacking because they're under the microscope of fanb... Enthusiasts. Scrutiny. So much scrutiny. Some of you guys just wants to rip stuff out and dump it because they don't like it. The park doesn't base it's decisions off of our opinions. The general public comes first. Just because some thing isn't scary (to you)doesn't mean it's not for others.

Oh. Yea, let's get rid of the Haunt with attractive women in skimpy clothing? How about no. Thank you very much.

• Like 9

beastfan11, you couldn't have said it better! I've been to Haunt only once ever, and was EXTREMELY impressed by the theming and Haunt attractions. I went to the first year of Fear Fest and Haunt absolutely blows it away to the point where the 2 almost aren't even comparable.

And your last line, I was waiting for someone else to say it first, haha :)

• Like 3

I have thought for a couple years that KI does need to pull back and re-engineer the Haunt event. Some haunts have great theming and design, but others look like they just threw stuff they found into it. Board to Death this last year was a HUGE improvement over Mysteria's morphsuit madness.

Many of the haunts are long worn out. New ideas, new concepts need to be changed every 3-5 years at most. I really think they need a dedicated team away from shows that handle design and building. Shows can take over for staffing after the haunt is designed and storyboarded.

They do need to cut down on the number of houses, 8-9 would be just about right. so those people could be used better in other haunts or scare zones.

They also REALLY need to work on light control. That is the biggest thing to ruin a scare is if you can see them before they scare you. Wolfpack, Holiday Horrors,

Corn Stalkers and Slaughter House all have areas where just a higher wall, stage scrim, or even black plastic could keep light from filling into the haunt.

I also like how Carowinds team made most of their facades and pieces fork lift ready. They need a shop either on or off site that these can be created, without taxing out park carpenters or show techs. If they wanted to spend the cash instead of paying rent, they could even modify the Crypt building by building a shop mezzanine where they could build and age set pieces for Haunt or even just for a stage show. Then put in a false floor at queue level for the haunt attraction below. Then you don't have stairs or lifts to deal with. And a simple freight elevator to move things up and down. You could even use the queue level as storage until its time to build out, but then that building could be totally purposed.

• Like 6

When rating Haunts, our Midwesternism comes into play. Perhaps that's why some of us love Slaughterhouse, and some of us Hate Cornstalkers, because of experiences with both in real life.

I'd recently watched a movie called "The Fields" that did a very good job of depicting the experience of running through the corn, but Cornstalkers provides none of that eerie claustrophobia you get in real life.

Slaughterhouse first gets you with the smell! no matter how many years it's run, it still has that animal smell.

• Like 2

Wolfpack, Holiday Horrors, Corn Stalkers and Slaughter House all have areas where just a higher wall, stage scrim, or even black plastic could keep light from filling into the haunt.

For most of Slaughter House, light getting in over the walls is only an issue for the first hour or so of each night, with that amount of time decreasing as the season goes on due to the sun setting earlier.

Slaughterhouse first gets you with the smell! no matter how many years it's run, it still has that animal smell.

Sory, Mama tryz 2 git us boys 2 showr butt we dont tak 2 kindly 2 watr so all that stink gits bilt up! -Sam

• Like 8

Here's an idea.

We're all fanb... Enthusiasts here, no? How many times are we going to visit Halloween Haunt per season in comparison to the general public? For some of us, a lot more! Which means that we're going through the same haunts time and time again, year after year. So what happens then? They get less scarier. We get used to it. I think it's unfair to just claim that these haunts are lacking because they're under the microscope of fanb... Enthusiasts. Scrutiny. So much scrutiny. Some of you guys just wants to rip stuff out and dump it because they don't like it. The park doesn't base it's decisions off of our opinions. The general public comes first. Just because some thing isn't scary (to you)doesn't mean it's not for others.

Oh. Yea, let's get rid of the Haunt with attractive women in skimpy clothing? How about no. Thank you very much.

I used to have the same mindset as you (except for Club Blood) before I started going through other haunted houses outside Kings Island. If what you said is true about basing decisions off the general public at the Haunt, then almost every haunted house in the nation would be bankrupt as they change the layout of their attractions year in and year out to keep their customers coming back year after year, and some customers complain that it should have stayed the same.

But I find it quite hypocritical that, while you ignore the reasons why some of us "enthusiast fanboys" want to see an event we love become even greater than it is and instead assume we don't find Haunt "scary", you're defending a maze for the sole reason that it has "attractive women in skimpy clothing."

• Like 4

Here's an idea.

I used to have the same mindset as you (except for Club Blood) before I started going through other haunted houses outside Kings Island. If what you said is true about basing decisions off the general public at the Haunt, then almost every haunted house in the nation would be bankrupt as they change the layout of their attractions year in and year out to keep their customers coming back year after year, and some customers complain that it should have stayed the same.

But I find it quite hypocritical that, while you ignore the reasons why some of us "enthusiast fanboys" want to see an event we love become even greater than it is and instead assume we don't find Haunt "scary", you're defending a maze for the sole reason that it has "attractive women in skimpy clothing."

Agreed.

Here's an idea.

As someone who has only ever gone through one Haunt more than once (Madame Fatale's), I can tell you that it isn't just our jadedness making us speak negatively. Many of the Haunts are extremely lackluster, even on the first time through.

-Homestar92, who wants back the 3 hours he invested in Tombstone Terror-Tory, but would happily go for another trip through Slaughterhouse.

• Like 3

Here's an idea.

As someone who has only ever gone through one Haunt more than once (Madame Fatale's), I can tell you that it isn't just our jadedness making us speak negatively. Many of the Haunts are extremely lackluster, even on the first time through.

-Homestar92, who wants back the 3 hours he invested in Tombstone Terror-Tory, but would happily go for another trip through Slaughterhouse.

Enjoy what you have before its gone.

• Like 4

Though I'm not the "5 star Halloween Haunt Monster", I am a home haunter, and I can chime in on a few things. Numero Un is the scare, it is not just a simple "boo" to the face.......well....maybe it is......erm.....anyways it takes skill and occasionally patience to scare people. I prefer to do the "prop scare" or I stand/sit still, which takes a bit of skill not to look like you are breathing, or at least to scare people. Of course, I don't prefer to scare guys because, they can and will react with a negative effect towards the haunter, i e me. The better, and best reaction scares are by those who you guys were speaking of, couples and girls. Though, people who are the monsters at the Haunt do make for an excellent scare, though, none can truly scare BB1. Now onto the bane of the whole operation, numero deux, the theming. Overall, I have always said that I could do better, and I probably have. I have 3, going on 4 years under my belt and it keeps growing every year. Which, shall I mention that I am a more "theme" person when it comes to my yard haunt. I know it has potential, but it just doesn't have it yet. I HOPE dearly that they do not cut off SlaughterHouse, because that is a relic just as ToT was for the longest time, don't loose an excellent attraction to some chicken tenders please.

My decision to go to Halloween Haunt is solely based on what is new for the season. I visit the new stuff then I leave for the most part. Last year I was disappointed by the fact that the night that I went, the only place I saw Scareactors was in walk to Holiday Horror (whatever that zone is called). Outside of that....same ole same ole.

I, however, was deeply spoiled by Halloween Horror Nights at Universal and Hallow Screams at Busch Gardens, and I suspect I will never see that caliber of haunt at Kings Island...yes, yes, yes...I know.... they have a bigger budget....but quality is quality.

As I stated earlier...fewer houses, higher quality scares and less burlesque.