The official "Bring the Flying Eagles home" thread.

Shaggy

Delirium_Guy here snapped the Holiday World set once. The ride was promptly closed for 20 minutes for "inspection."

It CAN be done. It is far from easy.

When I was a boy, snapping the Flying Scooters at Camden Park would get you banned from the park...for the rest of the season. The sails' movement was also curtailed by attached dog chains.

• Like 5

I can honestly say I dont think I ever rode these Eagles. I really wish I had, based on everyone's conversations about this ride. I think I rode a similar ride at other parks, but I have never been a big fan of the rides that take you in circles.

• Like 2

I have successfully snapped once, on the Flying Scooters set at Knoebels. I wasn't quite expecting the "snap" (seems a bit more like a "clunk" to me) to be as powerful as it was, so, needless to say I was caught completely off guard. Easily the third scariest thing that day, behind the Looper and the Haunted Mansion.

That and the fact that the Flying Scooters at Knoebles fly within inches of a huge tree where the Scooters have braised the branchesand bark...YIKES! nothing like flying towards a tree at what seems like mach speed.

Here is a photo of my fathers side of the family at Coney Island summer of 1955, with the Flying Eagles (or then Flying Scooters) in the background. My dad, at the tender age of 7, is on the far right. It really is something to think that my father rode some of these rides as a youngster that eventually ended up at Kings Island. So, I would also like to see the Eagles return! Maybe a 3rd generation of my family can enjoy the ride, after all!

Coney-flyingscooters.jpg

• Like 23

Here is a photo of my fathers side of the family at Coney Island summer of 1955, with the Flying Eagles (or then Flying Scooters) in the background. My dad, at the tender age of 7, is on the far right. It really is something to think that my father rode some of these rides as a youngster that eventually ended up at Kings Island. So, I would also like to see the Eagles return! Maybe a 3rd generation of my family can enjoy the ride, after all!

Coney-flyingscooters.jpg

Wow! I rode it when I was six and it was in the exact location in the '60s.....alas poor Scooters.....I knew them.....

edit: Great picture! Do you have more of Coney Island? (Especially the Haunted House and Lost River...those are my unreachable goals of research...)

• Like 4

Ross is indeed home of the very scenic Mount Rumpke.

Mount Rumpke actually isn't in Ross. It is several miles south of Ross, in Colerain.

edit: FWIW, Stricker's Grove isn't technically within the boundaries of Ross Township either, but it's pretty close.

• Like 4

Colerain is where I was born and raised. If I'm remembering correctly, I believe I once learned that Mt. Rumpke is the highest point of elevation in Hamilton county. We certainly have something to be proud of, haha.

Any proof to back that up? Your claim just sounds like a pile of crap to me.

:D

• Like 6

The Electric Rainbow is definitely from Americana. Not sure about the Pirate Ship.

Sorry to get off topic with this, but I was just searching a bit about LeSourdsville Lake, and I didn't realize they had a Whip. I wish Stricker's Grove would have installed it.

Coney-flyingscooters.jpg

Wow! I rode it when I was six and it was in the exact location in the '60s.....alas poor Scooters.....I knew them.....

edit: Great picture! Do you have more of Coney Island? (Especially the Haunted House and Lost River...those are my unreachable goals of research...)

I have several professional photos of Coney, and I am mostly interested in those from the later years when the Haunted House was part of the ride line up. Unfortunately, I don't have any good up close shots of that ride. There are a few in Charles Jacques "Cincinnati's Coney Island: America's Finest Amusement Park". And if you get to them before me, post them!!! ;)

• Like 6

Maybe I am thinking of a different ride, but when Flying Eagles would stop the ride, didn't it kind of drop to the ground (an inch or so maybe)? I loved the ride, but hated the "thud" ad the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was confused because I knew my daughter had rode them and really hated the drop landing more than me. I knew that the Flying Dutchman had not been at KI for years. I forgot they were moved to KK. A few years and a couple of kids things get blurry. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm on board. I would give up the Backlot Coaster for the Eagles any day of the week.

Me too. How about we give Carowinds the Back Lot Stunt Coaster in exchange for the Flying Eagles...then we'd have free land for Les Taxis and the Ohio Overland Livery (the Antique Cars, for those not familiar with the real names) to return...along with all of the beautiful landscaping that was decimated by Paramount.

I don't know, I kinda like the gravel - Said no one ever.

• Like 2