The official "Bring the Flying Eagles home" thread.

Shaggy

Holiday World's Flying Scooters aren't nearly as disappointing as the ones at Stricker's.

-Homestar92, feeling bad for bashing something at the spectacular Stricker's Grove

Huh? HW's are way worse than Stricker's. HW's are much heavier & too slow. Stricker's are lighter and more comparable to KI's old set. I can get a few snaps in at Stricker's, but not as many and not as forceful as when they were located where the Pirate Ship is now. When they moved it in between the coasters, I think it cut down on the wind and they're not as easy to snap as they once were (but still easier than HW's).

Yes, Stricker's Grove is great; went for the first time last year and had a blast! :D If you'd like, you can check out my Trip Report from last year. Be sure to ride the Electric Rainbow (Round-Up) if you've never been on one of those types of rides before; it was fun!

Electric Rainbow makes me nauseous every time I ride it. I'm fine in every other Round-Up I've been on though. I first rode it at LeSourdesville and, I am not making this up, a majority of the people on our ride cycle were yelling for the ride op to stop the ride because it was making them sick (of course, this was the infamous year of Couch's Carnies running the park, so our pleas went unanswered). When I rode it again at Stricker's, the ride cycle was shorter, but I realized what the difference was between that one and others, like Revolution at HW. Electric Rainbow spends a lot longer time spinning in the original position before the arm lifts the ride up and tilts you. I think this is probably what gets to me.

Stickers Grove will throw you out for snapping nowadays. A terrible mixture of KIC, ACE, GOCC and Coaster Crew on a couple of cycles a few Fourth of July's ago may have scared the staff. You can snap those pretty well but it's a little dangerous. It's possible to hit the ground or the base on that model.

I think it varies by ride op. I've heard rumor of this being the case now, but I snapped on closing day and nothing was ever said to me (plus, I don't remember seeing it posted as a rule).

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Probably the most "intense" version of the Flying Scooters I've been on is at Old Town/Fun Spot (whatever) in Florida. They're big and fast and if you know what you're doing you can snap the heck out of them. Stricker's is nice but I think they've slowed them down. The physics seemed to be almost backward from Kings Island's. You used to be able to REALLY get them going. It was entirely possible to hit the support base with them, which is NOT something that I look back upon with fond memories. It was terrifying and probably dangerous. Kings Island's seemed to be perfectly engineered.

I still wish we knew if Bisch-Rocco - or even the new manufacturers - designed them with snapping in mind, or if they were designed specifically to be able to take those forces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone with industry knowledge speculate how much more it would cost to move our eagles back and buy them a new set versus buying KI a new set? I think the park would receive a lot more positive buzz if we got our set back; they could really play to nostalgia.

Yeah, that's definitely true to an extent. I think you could never play to it as much. I don't think there's anything wrong with throwing enthusiasts a bone every now and then. It shouldn't ever be a main focus or anything. I know it would mean a lot to many people, yes many of them enthusiasts, if we got them back. Ten years out and we're still talking about our old eagles. They've got staying power. That's for sure.

• Like 1

Like I mentioned in my trip report. After seeing what can be done with the set of Larsons at Cedar Point, I'll glady take a new set of their make. Get the ones from Carowinds, sweet, but if not, the new sets are fantastic.

Just so I can have a point of reference, have you ever been on the Carowinds/Kings Island/Coney Island (or any other properly run Bisch-Rocco) Flying Skooters?

Yeah, that's definitely true to an extent. I think you could never play to it as much. I don't think there's anything wrong with throwing enthusiasts a bone every now and then. It shouldn't ever be a main focus or anything. I know it would mean a lot to many people, yes many of them enthusiasts, if we got them back. Ten years out and we're still talking about our old eagles. They've got staying power. That's for sure.

There's nothing wrong with throwing enthusiasts a bone every now and then. However, the old scooters from KI have a new home now, and are now loved by many, many people young and old whose home park is Carowinds. It is obvious from this thread that we all loved our Eagles. It is clear to me that it really hurt many of us to have them abruptly taken away.

So that having been said, would you really want to make the people at that park go through the same thing? Two wrongs don't make a right. I, for one, would be fine with a GOOD set of Larsons with good placement (and the speed knob on the CORRECT setting :P). They aren't QUITE as good as our old set, and I'll openly admit that. But I wouldn't want to rob anyone else of their beloved ride. That's not the solution to this problem.

Humans are pretty great, With over 70 years of technological progress to boast since they were built, I think we could actually build a set of scooters that are even better. Why don't we work on that instead?

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

So I didnt realize it till just now. The Eagles were from the original park at Coney Island. Now it makes sense. Its not just a ride that was built in the 70s, but a part of the park's history. Wowsers.

Also, speaking of flat rides... In kiddie land, we have the current Peanuts Offroad rally, which I assume came during the Coney Island transition. But I was reading a bit today and saw we had two rides that were the same? I always assumed the Peanuts Off-Road Rally was the same as Huck's Hotrods... but I guess not? Where was Huck's Hotrods located?

• Like 2

correct, Peanuts Off Road Rally is next to Snoopy Junction, tucked behind Surf Dog. Its a part of the park that is a bit hidden from the rest of the park; I don't believe any of the 3 rides back there have height restrictions and have been a staple for our 2 year old daughter this past offseason (hoping for that extra scooch by the fall so she can get on the 36" stuff)

• Like 2