The official "Bring the Flying Eagles home" thread.

Shaggy

Awesome news, obviously! The unfortunate thing is that it's not just a Flying Eagles ride folks want. It's our Flying Eagles. I can't say I remember having the pleasure of riding it, but supposedly our version of the ride was vastly superior to some of the newer, clunkier models.

So if we do get one of the new sets that's coming around to Cedar Fair parks, it will be contending with the reputation (perhaps inflated and exaggerated by time, and these things tend to be?) of the set that's now at Carowinds.

Anyone been on Cedar Point's? How does it compare?

• Like 1

There is NO comparison between the new Larson models and our old set.

This. You MIGHT be able to snap the newer Larson models if you have a confluence of favorable conditions, but I wouldn't count on being able to do it. I don't know if there's a more frustrating feeling while riding anything at an amusement park than riding a newer flyer set, achieving maximum height, a quick flip of the sail, waiting for the snap at the bottom and getting nothing. Anyone who claims to be able to snap these newer sets with any regularity is either (1) a true expert; (2) unfamiliar with what snapping really is; or (3) lying.

The other downside is the very short ride cycle, particularly at Cedar Point. It takes those things forever to slow down and come to a complete stop, so they had to compensate with shorter actual "fly" time. The post I quoted above says it all.

If we do get a Flying Eagles ride again... There is only one place in the park it belongs IMO.

Bye, 3-point shooting game!

If KI does add a flyer set, there's absolutely no way the 3 Point Challenge game is going to be retired (it may be relocated to another position in the park, but it's definitely not going away). Most people would be shocked at how much the 3 Point Challenge games make not only at KI but at other parks. It is the single most profitable game at most parks in the country that have them. There's a reason that parks that didn't have them have added them recently or will be adding them in the near future.

• Like 4

Rides manufactured, regardless of where, and sold in the USA and Canada now must meet safety standards not even dreamt of in the 1940's.

Moreover, even the Carowinds set now is operated at a somewhat lesser speed than they once were in Ohio.

Still the best US set, by far.

Knoebels, Schmobels.

(And the Larsons have two speeds. Almost all parks operate them at the lower speed all the time.)

• Like 4

Anyone who claims to be able to snap these newer sets with any regularity is either (1) a true expert; (2) unfamiliar with what snapping really is; or (3) lying.

For what it's worth...

I was one of the Flyer Fest people from the 2003-2004 season. We would ride every night from 9-10p. Some of the best snappers I've ever seen were a member of that dirty dozen.

With that being said, I can tell you that I've had snapping experience on two of the new models of Flying Scooters.

Fun Spot in Florida has a set, which are particularly fast and are extremely easy to snap. I had several sessions on there that were comparable to Kings Island rides. If you could snap at Kings Island, you could snap there.

I was also able to get the ones at Kentucky Kingdom off the ground. I only rode once, and I even had a friend in the tub with me. You have to be pretty good to get those going, but it most certainly can be done.

The ones at Strickers were snappable too before they were moved. I realize that they aren't Larson, but I don't want people to think that they simply can't snap based off of that model since it has been slowed down.

• Like 2

And then there's Knoebels's set, which, regardless of what Terp thinks of them ( ;) ), snap so easily that they can and do snap themselves when no one's riding in the tub.

If I didn't still like their set so much, here I would say, tongue-in-cheek, "Carowinds, Schmarowinds." :P

I personally find Cedar Point's set of Flying Scooters the clunkiest and least snappable set I've ever ridden. Holiday World's set of scooters look like Carowinds' compared to those things. Even Conneaut's were better.

• Like 1

(And the Larsons have two speeds. Almost all parks operate them at the lower speed all the time.)

(Hartland photo posted for relevance)

15493940600_b322d07c16_b.jpg

Notice, as Terpy mentioned, two speeds, with the dial set to the lower speed.

Notice also the orange thing on the bottom-right. That is a foot pedal. The ride operator must have a foot on that at all times the ride is running. When they let go, the ride will begin slowing to a stop, ending the cycle. If you snap one of these sets, and the operator has never witnessed this phenomenon before, it is quite likely that they will be startled. When startled, they might jump a bit, causing them to slip off the pedal for a moment, which ends the ride cycle.

And that's the story of how I accidentally caused a bunch of people to get a shorter-than-expected ride on Professor John's Flying Machines...

Even in the low speed, the Larsons are fairly snappable. Not as much as the old set now at Carowinds, for sure. But better than most. Much better than the Bisch-Rocco set at Holiday World, so at the end of the day, the manufacturer does not completely determine the snappability of these things. No, it wouldn't be OUR Eagles. And we aren't getting them back. Technically, that's speculation and I don't KNOW that, but I'd put good money on it. There are children in the Charlotte area that love those things as much as any of us did. They are a part of Carowinds' identity now. Sad for us, but true. That said, while the Larsons are not AS good as that set, they are solid flyers, and unlike the ones at Holiday World, they are better than nothing. I've ridden three sets of the Larsons (Darien Lake, Hartland, and Cedar Point) and they are pretty consistent, too. If we were getting a set, you could have a pretty good idea what to expect out of them if you've ridden another one.

For what it's worth, I think Flight Commander's pad would be a great place for a set of flyers. The slight elevation above the main midway could provide some snap-friendly wind conditions too.

• Like 8

There is NO comparison between the new Larson models and our old set.

This. You MIGHT be able to snap the newer Larson models if you have a confluence of favorable conditions, but I wouldn't count on being able to do it. I don't know if there's a more frustrating feeling while riding anything at an amusement park than riding a newer flyer set, achieving maximum height, a quick flip of the sail, waiting for the snap at the bottom and getting nothing. Anyone who claims to be able to snap these newer sets with any regularity is either (1) a true expert; (2) unfamiliar with what snapping really is; or (3) lying.

The other downside is the very short ride cycle, particularly at Cedar Point. It takes those things forever to slow down and come to a complete stop, so they had to compensate with shorter actual "fly" time. The post I quoted above says it all.

If we do get a Flying Eagles ride again... There is only one place in the park it belongs IMO.

Bye, 3-point shooting game!

If KI does add a flyer set, there's absolutely no way the 3 Point Challenge game is going to be retired (it may be relocated to another position in the park, but it's definitely not going away). Most people would be shocked at how much the 3 Point Challenge games make not only at KI but at other parks. It is the single most profitable game at most parks in the country that have them. There's a reason that parks that didn't have them have added them recently or will be adding them in the near future.

Oh, I'm aware. I made the light statement because that's what took the spot of the FE after it left the park entirely. There wasn't legitimate reason for it there...

• 6 months later...

In my experience riding and watching it, I think the lower weight of the occupants has something to do with it being able to snap.  I watched a father and son get in one and didn't snap, and when the son went back and rode without the dad it snapped.  I think if the ride cycle was longer, an average size adult could snap them cause you would get some momentum behind it, but with the shorter cycle, it benefits those that don't way as much because the slightest touch of the wing is more dramatic.  That doesn't mean an adult cannot snap them in its current configuration, because I have seen that as well (albeit not a very noticeable snap)!

• Like 3

• 8 years later...
2 hours ago, PKIVortex said:

I rode them yesterday and day before I got some snaps.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Same, I had to ride a couple times to get back in the snapping groove with them. B)

• Like 3

I'm assuming Kings Island still frowns on snapping? I was part of that core 03-04 group Ryan mentioned  in this thread back in 2014 and I just assumed snapping was a thing of the past on these rides these days so I haven't even bothered to ride them at KI, CP, or KK.

The Flying Eagles were such a fun ride and it really brought the local Kings Island fans and employees closer together than anything since.

• Like 4

I got it to snap a few times whenever I rode it this past Monday. It's a great ride! There's a reason we want it back and they won't give it up... I do want to make the point though that we sent them our old Vortex trains for Carolina Cyclone and our old Firehawk trains to use for parts on Nighthawk.... what has Carowinds done for us lately? 

PXL_20230612_134039579.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2