Kings Island Bathrooms

Delirium2018

The narrow opening in which you are expected to place your hands makes it unnecessarily challenging to dry your hands without touching the dryer itself. I cannot fathom the horrible things living on those dryers. Furthermore, if you have longer hands, you actually cannot place them all the way into the dryer without touching the bottom, another wonderful cesspool of filth and bacteria.

The Excel dryers dry your hands much more quickly and effectively, and pose no risk of being accidentally touched.

• Like 6

Try drying your hair in that stupid Dyson hand drier.

As for not caring if your hands are sanitary, then why the thunder would you wash them?

Worst of all? World Hand Driers. The graffiti etched in many couldn't be righter:

1. Push button

2. Rub hands rapidly under drier.

3. (Added by a sage): Wipe Hands On Pants.

Terp, once pooped on by a bird o'er Kings Island, and several times at Cedar Point.

• Like 5

Honestly, I've never had a huge issue with the cleanliness of the bathrooms. If I saw something that needed attention, I've let the sweeps know. In all honesty, what do you expect when there are thousands of people in the park each day. There are only so many people working each day in specific areas.

• Like 10

Guys we really should appreciate those Airblades, just for fun I looked up the going price and a single unit cost around $1200. That really shows how dedicated the park is to providing the latest, top-notch facilities.

• Like 3

I must have perfect bathroom timing. Not only are the bathrooms I've entered are clean, but they usually have an attendant cleaning when I'm there.

I used to have use the Acrion Zone bathroom the most, since it was least crowded, but I have a feeling that's going to change.

• Like 1

Had a friend say he was afraid of touching the faucet handles at K.I., because he might get germs from them. I told him not to worry, because both times I went in that day, I didn't see a single other person wash their hands. Gross, but true.

• Like 5

This whole topic is... unusual... but hey... it's the offseason.

I've typically found the restrooms in the Festhaus to be the best. The ones by the entrance (inside the park) on I-Street to be the worst. I guess it's because it's the highest traffic.

• Like 9

$1200 is MSRP. I'm sure since KI bought more than one,a lower price may have been paid. Any hand dryer is better than paper towels, which end up all over the floor and in the trash, not to mention wasting resources. (I'm not Greenpeace wacko--you won't see me on a zipline unfurling banners at P & G HQ but I do recycle quite a bit at home and in the office!:))

• Like 7

Any hand dryer is better than paper towels, which end up all over the floor and in the trash, not to mention wasting resources.

I wouldn't say any dryer is better than paper towels. Given the choice between paper towels and a World Hand Dryer, I'll take paper towels every time. Paper towels vs. Xcelerator, Xcelerator wins.

• Like 3

I've never had any unusually disgusting trips to the bathroom at the park in all honesty. I mean they're public bathrooms so they can only be so clean, but I have never found them to be exceptionally gross. I guess maybe my standards are different than others? I have seen some nasty bathrooms in my day...and I'd say just about every Speedway gas station's toilet have been some of the grossest I have ever witnessed and don't even get me started on how disgusting school bathrooms are. So I will give a nod to the staff at Kings Island for doing a pretty good job at keeping up with the influx of guests and bathroom needs. I would use one of the park's bathrooms over most public facilities any day!

• Like 6

You guys are lucky you never had to use the old out houses the State of Ohio had in their rest areas as late as the 1960's and 70's. But as a former Park Services employee that used to clean these restrooms, I had seen some guest leave a very gross mess in them. Sometime it seemed like it was done on purpose with no regard for others.

• Like 3

Any hand dryer is better than paper towels, which end up all over the floor and in the trash, not to mention wasting resources.

I wouldn't say any dryer is better than paper towels. Given the choice between paper towels and a World Hand Dryer, I'll take paper towels every time. Paper towels vs. Xcelerator, Xcelerator wins.

I always prefer paper towels over even the best hand dryers. They give me a sanitary way to turn off the faucet and open the door. I believe all the bathrooms at KI get their doors propped during operating hours, but if I recall correctly, not all of them have the automatic faucets. Curiously enough, I seem to remember the bathrooms without automatic faucets having paper towels.

Perhaps they have realized these points and planned accordingly. Or it is a very lucky accident.

• Like 2

I can't get the link to show, but studies have shown that air dryers are unsanitary (do a search). Estimates are it puts a 250%+ increase in germs on your hands - guess where that air is coming from - you guessed it the restroom. These filters are usually never or very infrequently changed. In some states, Universities have been required to remove such air dryers after flu outbreaks occurred and were tied back to those that used restrooms with these air dryers pumping flu onto their hands.

• Like 4

Wow..y'all are on the sanitary kick here as of late..If I even TOLD you of some of the stuff that is unsanitary or unclean, it'd blow your minds.

Also the bacteria you spread on your body. More than likely it is common flora from individual to individual, and even your own. You will never be germ free, you will never be perfectly sterile. It's practically impossible. Also keep in mind, this bacteria must have a route of entry, which means a break in the chain of infection. If it isn't broke, no sickness/ailment/etc.

But honestly I'd be more inclined to think someone would have a bacterial related issue with a food illness or soft drink machine (yes a soft drink machine, they have been noted to carry e-coli in a few studies, drink up kids), than a public restroom.

Also if you're flipping out over a restroom. Think of the queue rails, restraints, seats, turnstiles, park maps, chairs, doors, and everything else you touch. A good bit of that probably isn't any cleaner than that restroom. For example I know we only cleaned queue rails at night or early in the Morning probably every other day or so for my ride. Trains get cleaned everyday no doubt, but a nice hot sweaty day, oh the juices get a flowing.

Moral of the story, theres alot of bacteria and germs out there everywhere, most of you aren't even at the germ capital of the world everyday for employment. It could be alot worse, and most of what you will deal with in the park is common flora, maybe a virus or infectious bacteria here and there, but as long as you don't have breaks in your skin, pick your nose, stick your hand in your mouth, or poke your eyeball repeatedly, I think it would be safe to say you'll be ok.

• Like 8

I ride the Washington Metro at least 10 times a week. It is frequently SRO (standing room only) on the Red Line. Trains are apparently cleaned infrequently, if at all. Some poor soul decided carpet was appropriate (yuck!). Stations don't have restrooms, so some riders invariably use the trains for such purposes (and station platforms). Grab bars have been handled by who knows whom, yet must be used if one likes staying erect, as trains are no longer under automatic operation, and some drivers have extreme difficulty stopping and starting smoothly.

It's an experience, especially from the germs and bacteria standpoint. I ALWAYS wash my hands as quickly as possible after departing WMATA. Oddly, I don't remember MARTA as being quite the filthy, dirty, unseemly experience. I love Metro, but it's not for the overly fastidious.

• Like 3

Wow..y'all are on the sanitary kick here as of late..If I even TOLD you of some of the stuff that is unsanitary or unclean, it'd blow your minds.

Also the bacteria you spread on your body. More than likely it is common flora from individual to individual, and even your own. You will never be germ free, you will never be perfectly sterile. It's practically impossible. Also keep in mind, this bacteria must have a route of entry, which means a break in the chain of infection. If it isn't broke, no sickness/ailment/etc.

But honestly I'd be more inclined to think someone would have a bacterial related issue with a food illness or soft drink machine (yes a soft drink machine, they have been noted to carry e-coli in a few studies, drink up kids), than a public restroom.

Also if you're flipping out over a restroom. Think of the queue rails, restraints, seats, turnstiles, park maps, chairs, doors, and everything else you touch. A good bit of that probably isn't any cleaner than that restroom. For example I know we only cleaned queue rails at night or early in the Morning probably every other day or so for my ride. Trains get cleaned everyday no doubt, but a nice hot sweaty day, oh the juices get a flowing.

Moral of the story, theres alot of bacteria and germs out there everywhere, most of you aren't even at the germ capital of the world everyday for employment. It could be alot worse, and most of what you will deal with in the park is common flora, maybe a virus or infectious bacteria here and there, but as long as you don't have breaks in your skin, pick your nose, stick your hand in your mouth, or poke your eyeball repeatedly, I think it would be safe to say you'll be ok.

Yeah I try not to worry about all the germy stuff, probably because I have a pretty strong immune system. Other than a battle with the c-word a couple years ago (which is obviously not a disease that you get from others' germs), I haven't really been sick in probably 10 years or more, other than getting the sniffles and sore throat for a day or two maybe once or twice each year.

One thing I always wondered about: if washing your hands and using hand sanitizer "kills 99.9% of germs", then doesn't that just mean that the strongest .1% are surviving and multiplying?

• Like 1

I work in a school. I have only been doing it for three years now, but for the last three years I have never been sicker. In my adult life (from ages 18-25) I was sick sick maybe 1 or 2 times. Im talking real fever, muscles ache, cant get out of bed sick. Those 2 times were in college. From 25-28 (now) I have been hit with 4-5 real sick sickness. 103 fever, muscle ache, it was effort to just move out of the bed room and get a shower. The kiddos here bring so many sicknesses to school. In the past 3 years, I have been spit on, coughed on, sneezed on, etc. Sometimes as my mouth is open a kiddo decides he cant not cough......

This year has been a bit better, havnt had to use any sick days for myself. Maybe Im finally getting immune.

No the .1 because you can't remove everything, and yes some do stay and multiply. Everyone has whats called Common Flora. You don't want that removed from you it's actually a natural protector and also helps with everyday life. Without common flora, sorry to TMI and whatnot..but remove the common flora with an antibiotic/laxative/etc from your bowels. Have fun with gastroenteritis, you'll be sitting on the throne for awhile.

• Like 1

Also sorry to double post, for those obsessed with hand hygene, try to see if you can find something like this. In the hospital we have bottles of this Antiseptic Handrub made by Steris. Very strong and great, it can actually be used as a surgical scrub for hands prior to surgery or patient care. So alot of times you'll use Steris, then scrub in and get gowned up.

• Like 1

I must have perfect bathroom timing. Not only are the bathrooms I've entered are clean, but they usually have an attendant cleaning when I'm there.

I used to have use the Acrion Zone bathroom the most, since it was least crowded, but I have a feeling that's going to change.

which AZ bathrooms? The ones down near Invertigo or the ones on the far end near Flight Deck? The ones down near FD are almost never busy (though, like you said, I'm sure that'll change) but the ones near Invertigo were usually always busy.... especially on a hot day when people would go on Congo Falls... people in there changing and/or drying their clothes, hair, shoes, etc. with paper towels or air dryers.