Kings Island Bathrooms

Delirium2018

And I’m saying relatively clean restrooms with a dedicated employee per restroom is /already/ a given. There are probably outliers, where there is urine or poop, BECAUSE of crappy GUESTS, not the neglect of the park, but I’ve been fortunate not to encounter, because of the dedicated restroom attendants. I don’t disagree with @BeeastFarmer that keeping the doors open may help a little with ventilation but I feel like complaining that KI somehow isn’t keeping up with Disney or Universal is a little rich considering their comparable prices and locations. You want AC in every restroom, go to Orlando and pay Orlando prices.

I’m irritated because I’ve learned the constant complaining about every little thing on KIC has not only been annoying to me, it has kept me from doing something I was looking forward to, that the park doesn’t have to do for us, and ultimately didn’t, because people are constantly rude dicks, here, and elsewhere. It’s annoying and I’m fed up, and clearly I’m not the only one. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

And I’m saying relatively clean restrooms with a dedicated employee per restroom is /already/ a given. There are probably outliers, where there is urine or poop, BECAUSE of crappy GUESTS, not the neglect of the park, but I’ve been fortunate not to encounter, because of the dedicated restroom attendants. I don’t disagree with @BeeastFarmer that keeping the doors open may help a little with ventilation but I feel like complaining that KI somehow isn’t keeping up with Disney or Universal is a little rich considering their comparable prices and locations. You want AC in every restroom, go to Orlando and pay Orlando prices.

I’m irritated because I’ve learned the constant complaining about every little thing on KIC has not only been annoying to me, it has kept me from doing something I was looking forward to, that the park doesn’t have to do for us, and ultimately didn’t, because people are constantly rude dicks, here, and elsewhere. It’s annoying and I’m fed up, and clearly I’m not the only one. 

The person I replied to discounted BGW's clean bathrooms because they don't get the attendance the KI gets. I gave an example of a park that gets more attendance than KI that also has clean bathrooms as a counter to his argument about attendance having something to do with bathroom cleanliness. You are clearly stuck on comparing Disney to KI and not reading the context. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/17/2019 at 4:26 PM, teenageninja said:

Not sure how it's currently done, when I was in the department the bathrooms were broken up as such:

International Street:

Inside and outside front gate bathrooms

Action Zone:

Festhaus, Banshee, 

Coney: 

Oktoberfest & Vortex

Rivertown:

Rivertown Larosas, Diamondback & Brewhouse

Snoopy:

Planet Snoopy, Picnic Grove & Family Care Center

Boomerang Bay:

Restrooms + Shower House

There would be some shifting, from time to time, and doubling up on areas, but for the most part, there is one attendant per bathroom plus a Supervisor in the area who checks in on them as well.

As of the 2017 season (my last season at the park and the one when I mostly did restrooms), bathroom assignments were similar, but different. I-Street is front gate and Festhaus; AZ is Invertigo/Banshee/Oktoberfest; Coney is WindSeeker/Backlot and Rivertown/Snoopy are grouped together. Picnic Grove and Soak City are it’s own thing.

Speaking of the Picnic Grove, I’ve only been assigned there a handful of times and it was fun, just because it was somewhere different that I didn’t get to go a whole lot.

-MDMC, a little surprised he still remembers all of this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Can you clarify this? What has the negativity on the forum kept you from doing?

It doesn’t even matter what the specifics are. But a little bit of honest praise goes a long way, while a large amount of over-entitled complaining is what usually dominates social media and “fan” sites in general. 

I get tired enough just seeing the non-stop complaining here and elsewhere about things the park has very little control over. I can’t imagine how hurtful it would feel if I was one of those many employees who are in charge of the restrooms, doing their best to keep up with the messes created by guests, a terrible enough task in itself, to see that even their best isn’t enough to keep people happy. It’s demoralizing. And it certainly doesn’t build a bridge between park employees and their so-called-fans. Honestly, if I /did/ work for the park I’d be ready to tell a lot of people to take their business elsewhere if things are so bad. Which is one of many reasons why it’s best I don’t work there :). But even the kindest and most tolerant among the KI team are less likely to go out of their way when they are worn down by criticism from people claiming to be fans. I’m amazed, and grateful, at how often they still are willing to go the extra mile (Carnivale for example: the sheer number of park staff who worked their butts off in mostly unfavorable weather to bring that to us, and with unbridled enthusiasm, is staggering), and I can’t fault them for when they choose not to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Magenta Lizard said:

It doesn’t even matter what the specifics are. But a little bit of honest praise goes a long way, while a large amount of over-entitled complaining is what usually dominates social media and “fan” sites in general. 

I get tired enough just seeing the non-stop complaining here and elsewhere about things the park has very little control over. I can’t imagine how hurtful it would feel if I was one of those many employees who are in charge of the restrooms, doing their best to keep up with the messes created by guests, a terrible enough task in itself, to see that even their best isn’t enough to keep people happy. It’s demoralizing. And it certainly doesn’t build a bridge between park employees and their so-called-fans. Honestly, if I /did/ work for the park I’d be ready to tell a lot of people to take their business elsewhere if things are so bad. Which is one of many reasons why it’s best I don’t work there :). But even the kindest and most tolerant among the KI team are less likely to go out of their way when they are worn down by criticism from people claiming to be fans. I’m amazed, and grateful, at how often they still are willing to go the extra mile (Carnivale for example: the sheer number of park staff who worked their butts off in mostly unfavorable weather to bring that to us, and with unbridled enthusiasm, is staggering), and I can’t fault them for when they choose not to.

Ok. Well I'm getting the impression that in your earlier post you were hinting that the park has decided not to tease the new ride because people complained about it so much, am I about right on that?

I do think that recently this page has been a bit more testy and negative, but on the other hand I think you'll find a lot of praise and love for the park on this blog as well. I tend to agree with you about the bathrooms, btw. I've been to the park a ton of times this season and really haven't had any problems. Definitely nothing that I wouldn't excpect from such a crowded place anyway.

I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say the GP greatly outnumbers the employees. They do their best to keep up, but sometimes the number of people who'd rather pee on the seat and say it is someone else's job to clean it up than properly aim and clean up after themselves is far too much. 

9 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I get tired enough just seeing the non-stop complaining here and elsewhere about things the park has very little control over.

I try to keep positive with my views on the park. I know I added to this negativity in another thread. I was speaking out for something I thought was important and those speaking out against me were doing the same on their end. But regardless, I apologize for adding to the muck. 

9 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Ok. Well I'm getting the impression that in your earlier post you were hinting that the park has decided not to tease the new ride because people complained about it so much, am I about right on that?

It wasn’t what I was talking about, but that is something that has occurred to me might be happening, and something I already suspected would happen. People (in this case, not really here as much as elsewhere on social media and in public) are still complaining that KI “got their hopes up too much” about the shed. When I was there for the announcement, I saw an awesome trailer for an awesome coaster, which stopped short of showing the brake run with the simple question “what’s in the shed?” My immediate thought that night, and continued to be my guess, was some sort of screens showing something. It turned out to actually be even cooler than I expected, but people still complain more about the shed than they compliment what has come to be one of my favorite rides in the park. It’s a bit as if you got some awesome expensive electronics as a gift and were still griping a year later about the paper it was wrapped in.

When it comes to actually bringing in revenue for the park, making fun advertisement or teasing for an upcoming ride likely has not a whole lot of effect when compared to the actual ride itself. The park employs a lot of people who, like many of us, truly enjoy the park and want to have fun with it. Those people like to have fun with the fans, as well. Examples of this are things like the new paint on the old arcade referencing former rides, the Flight of Cheer and other theming posters, and even something as big as Coasterstock which almost certainly costs nearly as much (in actual labor for the ERTs and the mental cost to come up with new fun things each year to keep us entertained) to put on as it brings in with our registration fees. But when it seems like the loudest (and often most amplified) of those calling themselves fans are debbie downers, especially when they’re complaining about the things that are done more for fun than for revenue, it isn’t much fun to play with them anymore. As much as I love the special playful extras the park has done that I’ve been able to enjoy, the ungrateful attitudes of others often make me say “well I wouldn’t want to do anything special for them either.”

• Like 5

On 7/19/2019 at 6:39 PM, Magenta Lizard said:

You’re awfully engaged for somebody who is so consistently negative about the park. Can’t find anything you actually like to spend time on?

So you realized your argument was wrong, and rather than admitting it or just quietly stepping out of the discussion, you resort to insults. 

K

• Sad 1

Pointing out you are consistently negative yet always have to get your word in is not “insults,” it’s an assessment I made from your own posts. If you find my interpretation of your attitude insulting or inaccurate you should perhaps look into how you are presenting yourself. Or ignore it, and keep spending time on someplace that will never live up to your expectations: no skin off my nose.

It also is in no way a concession of the argument, it is pretty much the foundation of the argument I’m making: a handful of loud, highly engaged, people feel entitled to near-perfection at a park that is already going above and beyond for these so-called “fans,” who spend about as much on three seasons of potential fun as a couple days cost at Disney. It’s tiring for those of us who actually like the park to see this attitude plastered all over the internet, and it’s even more tiring for the people who work at the park.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Pointing out you are consistently negative yet always have to get your word in is not “insults,” it’s an assessment I made from your own posts. If you find my interpretation of your attitude insulting or inaccurate you should perhaps look into how you are presenting yourself. Or ignore it, and keep spending time on someplace that will never live up to your expectations: no skin off my nose.

It also is in no way a concession of the argument, it is pretty much the foundation of the argument I’m making: a handful of loud, highly engaged, people feel entitled to near-perfection at a park that is already going above and beyond for these so-called “fans,” who spend about as much on three seasons of potential fun as a couple days cost at Disney. It’s tiring for those of us who actually like the park to see this attitude plastered all over the internet, and it’s even more tiring for the people who work at the park.

Before you went on your tirade, my only post in this thread was in response to to someone else's discounting of another park's bathroom cleanliness. Hell, I'm on KI's side on the bathroom issue. People are horrible. It doesn't matter what you do, people will find ways to tear it up. I know because I have to deal with what people do to public facilities. That applies from single stall bathroom locations up to Disney World and their hundreds of them. People are disgusting and destructive. You incorrectly tried to turn that into comparing KI to Disney and now want to make it about people all over the internet bashing KI. 

Tell you what. Why don't you go through my post history and find all these posts where I'm expecting perfection from the park or where I'm tearing it down. You'll find that you are confusing not putting up with people's ignorance on here with whatever your crusade is about.   

• Like 1

I think we can all agree that the guest lack of respect of others who need to use the facilities is the issue with the bathrooms at KI, not the parks lack of keeping them up. I tend to see a worker cleaning sometime through the day each time I visit. 

Holiday World gets awards for being the cleanest park, and I have had more issues with their bathrooms than KI in my few days at Holiwood Nights each year.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 6:16 AM, Browntggrr said:

BGW also does not get the high attendance every day that CP & KI get.

I was shocked at how both BGW & KD were dead when we recently visited just before the 4th of July.

If a park has higher attendance, they can afford more staff to clean restrooms.   The park also should have more restrooms.   Busch has 10 restroom locations in the park. Ki has 9.   

6 hours ago, super7 said:

If a park has higher attendance, they can afford more staff to clean restrooms.   The park also should have more restrooms.   Busch has 10 restroom locations in the park. Ki has 9.   

Adding more attendees or more bathrooms will not impact guest respect on how to use the facilities.

Signage on guests respecting the facilities and where to go/ get in touch with an attendant could go a long way.

9 hours ago, super7 said:

Not in all cases.  If you have a park that admits 100 guests and the price is 500/ticket, they will gross $50,000.  If another park admits 200 guests and the price is 200/ticket, they will gross $40,000.00.  The 2nd park has increased spending for the extra 100 guests.  (Not a perfect example, but it works.)

And for BGW, I thought it had lower attendance than KI?  In your scenario, if KI has higher attendance, it should follow that the restrooms are cleaner.  If they add more restrooms, wouldn't that stretch the already sketchy resources they devote the current 9?  (Please note, I do not think KI has sketchy care for the restrooms.  As has been discussed ad nauseum here, patrons could do much to solve the problem and the park can do some short and long term things.)

• 3 weeks later...

Open doors have returned to some restrooms at Kings Island. The restroom right outside the front gate had the door closed but air conditioning on yesterday and last week. The odor was much less than it normally is without air conditioning. I normally don't use the restroom in Planet Snoopy-- the side facing Diamondback is the side I normally use. However, the side that faces Planet Snoopy had air conditioning turned on. The side that faces Diamondback didn't. The restroom by the junkyard coaster had an open door with no air conditioning and the odor was fairly dissipated. Finally, the restroom in Action Zone by Chicken Shack had the door open and the air conditioning on and there was zero odor.

Last week was fairly busy, yesterday was brisk but not overly busy. However it was extremely hot yesterday, so it was nice to have some climate control in some of the restrooms. All the restrooms I visited were clean and well-stocked and the odor was significantly less than it was in July and June.

Now that everyone knows the restrooms I frequented in the last 2 weeks, I'm going to end this post. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 8/6/2019 at 9:09 PM, BeeastFarmer said:

Open doors have returned to some restrooms at Kings Island. The restroom right outside the front gate had the door closed but air conditioning on yesterday and last week. The odor was much less than it normally is without air conditioning. I normally don't use the restroom in Planet Snoopy-- the side facing Diamondback is the side I normally use. However, the side that faces Planet Snoopy had air conditioning turned on. The side that faces Diamondback didn't. The restroom by the junkyard coaster had an open door with no air conditioning and the odor was fairly dissipated. Finally, the restroom in Action Zone by Chicken Shack had the door open and the air conditioning on and there was zero odor.

Last week was fairly busy, yesterday was brisk but not overly busy. However it was extremely hot yesterday, so it was nice to have some climate control in some of the restrooms. All the restrooms I visited were clean and well-stocked and the odor was significantly less than it was in July and June.

Now that everyone knows the restrooms I frequented in the last 2 weeks, I'm going to end this post. Lol

Your commitment to hydration and subsequent relief is commendable!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m at Kings Dominion.  Same ownership.  Park is just two years less older thank KI.   Restrooms are updated, STAFFED,  air conditioned, clean and no smell.    No reason KI can’t be like that.  Attendance is no reason because increased attendance should equate to more restrooms and more staff   It must be individual park management priorities   

• Like 1

I've been to KI about 10 times this year so far and I've always seen the restrooms in great shape.  KI does an admirable job keeping them clean, IMO.  CP wasn't too bad either this year.

HOWEVER, after visiting Disney World, Universal Orlando, Seaworld Orlando, and BGT over the last 2 summers, I was reminded about one specific detail that absolutely ANNOYS me about KI bathrooms.  As a male, having urinals without dividers of some sorts is a real issue for me.  I simply cannot use "open" urinals and must enter the stalls to relieve myself.  I don't think a single restroom in KI has dividers.  However, every (and I do mean EVERY SINGLE ONE) restroom I visited in Florida (8 days in DW, 4 in UO, 3 in SW and 1 in BGT) had dividers, which seems so simple.  However, it was such a pleasant thing to depend upon.  Ugh I wish someone at CF would spent just a few extra bucks and give us some urinal dividers!

/rant

• Like 1

I’m at Kings Dominion.  Same ownership.  Park is just two years less older thank KI.   Restrooms are updated, STAFFED,  air conditioned, clean and no smell.    No reason KI can’t be like that.  Attendance is no reason because increased attendance should equate to more restrooms and more staff   It must be individual park management priorities   

I have never seen restrooms at Kings Island that are not staffed. The staff does an excellent job. But the patrons are a big part of the problem. Please see my earlier posts with my suggestions of short and long term solutions, which the park may have already implemented.

• Like 3

Pro tip for guys- use the bathroom outside the front gate if you need to go #2. It’s crazy that there’s only one stall in the inside front gate bathroom. (Sorry, too much?)

Also, if you have kids, you should definitely utilize the Family Care Center!

• Like 1

They have stood out to me this year after having not been since like 2012 ish, as cheapened. Kings Island has always had good attendance and had no problem having the AC before in bathrooms and the festhaus. This year your lucky if you get some AC in the shops.  Having the AC on also kills gems it's why hospitals are always cold. The cold air would help with the smell and sanitation. The employees do great working with what they have but some need some plumbing help. Ex Rivertown once one plugged up it seemed to effect all one after another. Poor girl could only bag them and move on.  If they can bring in a giga they can afford some updates to their restrooms and fix the freaking pot holes in the parking lot.

6 hours ago, VortexJD said:

I've been to KI about 10 times this year so far and I've always seen the restrooms in great shape.  KI does an admirable job keeping them clean, IMO.  CP wasn't too bad either this year.

HOWEVER, after visiting Disney World, Universal Orlando, Seaworld Orlando, and BGT over the last 2 summers, I was reminded about one specific detail that absolutely ANNOYS me about KI bathrooms.  As a male, having urinals without dividers of some sorts is a real issue for me.  I simply cannot use "open" urinals and must enter the stalls to relieve myself.  I don't think a single restroom in KI has dividers.  However, every (and I do mean EVERY SINGLE ONE) restroom I visited in Florida (8 days in DW, 4 in UO, 3 in SW and 1 in BGT) had dividers, which seems so simple.  However, it was such a pleasant thing to depend upon.  Ugh I wish someone at CF would spent just a few extra bucks and give us some urinal dividers!

/rant

There are a few with restrooms with urinal dividers at KI...by Banshee and Hanks are two of them...sounds like a scavenger hunt to me:P