Next New Ride?

Delirium2018

With today's technology it could easily work. Did you have a cell phone in 2000?

You actually typed out my full username which people never do, so I ain't even that mad at ya for lying.

If you're talking as if I'm lying-

I just skimmed through a lot of your posts (which you can filter using the forum tools), and its impossible for me to post all the dozens of times you've brought up wanting to have Son of Beast back and/or re-build it using today's 'technology', often without any regard to others pointing out why Son of Beast failed or follow up on your own arguements. I use the word technology in quotes as, well, it would likely turn out an RMC project and would therefore be a steel coaster, probably much to your disliking. The only other viable technologies are Gravity Group's Timberliners, which have yet to work well on a coaster above 70 ft, and Intamin who won't be building in North America any time soon.

In any case, you ought to remember what you post before calling someone a liar.

• Like 6

With today's technology "it" could easily work?

What's "it"? Not Son of Beast! "It" was a product of its times. The technology available at that time is WHY Son of Beast was what it was. The people around at that time, too. Given today's leadership, today's technology, today's shareholders, today's Kings Island, Son of Beast probably wouldn't happen at all. If it would, it would look, feel, and be marketed very differently.

Hindsight is 20/20. Can we say that if Paramount had waited a few years, then Son of Beast could've been among the first of Intamin's wildly popular plug-and-play wooden coasters (like El Toro)? Sure. It's possible. If they'd waited a few after that, Son of Beast could've been Rocky Mountain Coaster style hybrid track. But they didn't. There's no telling what "it" would look like if it were built today... or if "it" would be built at all. To imagine the exact Son of Beast we once had, but with Intamin's super smooth track is just silly. That's not an option.

• Like 6

^I only brought up Intamin as a way to dismiss it as DontWantToWait42mor0 is also a known Intamin fan. I'm well aware of the implications of what I said. ;)

How am I a known Intamin fan all of a sudden?

For liking StormRunner at Hersheypark? (the only other park that I have been to besides Kings Island, which I only happened to visit as a privilege of an all-star game I was fortunate to participate in.). That thing admittedly broke down twice while I was in line for it, but 3rd time proved a charm. When I did finally get the chance to ride it..impeccable!

Other than that am I such an Intamin fan because I like the Eiffel Tower? (Although admittedly it is the scariest ride for me to be on at KI no joke.)

I take this as a big accusation, can you use the search filter from the forum tools you mentioned earlier to back up your false statement(s)?

^Okay, I might have been mistaken about that, which I apologize.

Also, no need to get so angry. You act like I labeled you something worse or something for mistaking that you may have liked Intamin. Learn proportionate response.

• Like 3

How can you say that? When you think of the most famous rides at Kings Island what are they? The Beast and The Racer. They made Kings Island what they are today. Don't believe me, ask ACE. Point proven. Kings Island don't seem to know how to go after that $

What happened to when they used to have ice-skating in the winter? That's money they are missing out on! What about when you could pay to fly in the helicopter?

How can you say that? When you think of the most famous rides at Kings Island what are they? The Beast and The Racer. They made Kings Island what they are today. Point proven. Kings Island don't seem to know how to go after that $

What happened to when they used to have ice-skating in the winter? That's money they are missing out on! What about when you could pay to fly in the helicopter?

Please don't quote yourself. Thank you, DontWantToWait42mar0.

• Like 2

DontWantToWait42mar0, consider the real reason why we won't see another major wooden coaster at Kings Island for a LONG time. That reason is the general public. Son of Beast had a very bad reputation. Although we know them to be false, many of the GP believe the rumors that somebody died on SOB. Those rumors will take a long time to die off. On top of that, some members of the GP have a tendency to misidentify rides. Often, they think that a ride is actually an older ride that has actually been removed, or moved, because their memories are fuzzy and they don't keep up with the latest park news like we do.

So if KI were to build a new major wooden coaster, people would confuse it with Son of Beast, then think that it really is SOB, then the death rumors get transferred to it, and right away the brand spanking new ride had a bad reputation that it did nothing to earn.

For an object lesson, see the drop ride at The New Kentucky Kingdom.

• Like 7

^ I don't know that it would be quite THAT bad. When The Beast was built, I can't imagine people confusing it with Racer.

I think if Kings Island built a new wooden coaster and marketed it with the ferocity that they've marketed other major installations, it would be widely understood in the tri-state area as separate from Son of Beast. Especially with the buzz around Son of Beast (and its closure, demolition, and replacement with Banshee), I think it would be more or less clear to a majority of people that the new ride was unrelated to Son of Beast.

Probably a major reason Kings Island (and most parks) favor steel coasters to wooden is that steel coasters are less divisive and more easily marketable in today's world. Sure, some people prefer wooden coasters. But it seems that steel coasters are almost uniformly smoother, sturdier, and more reliable. In theory and practice, steel coasters can be taller, loop-the-loopier, and have fun "gimmicky" configurations like ZacSpins and Dive Machines and Inverted Coasters and launches. There are wooden classics, and modern wooden wonders, but steel coasters far outnumber wooden, and there have got to be reasons for that, right?

The Interpreter recently said that steel coasters are a relationship, wooden coasters are a marriage. Steel coasters may cost more initially, but look at a 20 year old steel coaster vs. a 20 year old wooden coaster and imagine not only the experience between the two (and how each has changed from its first season to its twentieth), but also look at the amount of upkeep and investment that each has needed in its first 20 years...

• Like 4

^ I don't know that it would be quite THAT bad. When The Beast was built, I can't imagine people confusing it with Racer.

Because The Racer was still there (and still is, of course). When I see this confusion, it is universally involving rides that no longer exist, at least at that park.

You can advertise it all you want, but the general public will believe what they want to believe. And given the way the media sensationalizes anything out of the ordinary that happens on a roller coaster (see current discussions about the two accidents today, regarding word choice in news articles, for a pair of examples), people will believe the worst.

I'm guessing there will not be another major wooden coaster at Kings Island until at least the year 2030, maybe even 2050.

• Like 2

Guest dtk1376

The reasons stated above is kinda why I was confused about why they renamed Flight Deck to The Bat. The Bat had a bad reputation, unsubstantiated nonetheless (people dying on it claims, etc...), but why use the name of a ride that was considered a black eye for the park for a period of time? Couldn't they of gone with something else? It's not like it upsets me or anything, I just have been curious as to why they would go that route instead of just making a new name for it, because we know Flight Deck was a terrible name.

• Like 2

Just throwing this in there- for all your speculating on how the public would accept The Bat rename, I have yet to hear anyone bring that up.

I think the GP is smarter than most of us give them credit for, which is why I still think a new wooden coaster could come sooner than most of you are thinking. New rides at Cedar Fair usually have those information websites about them which the park could easily talk about GCI of whoever builds it and do enough to separate it from Son of Beast. I think our GM and PR duo is smart enough to pull that off if they wish to.

• Like 6

I think our GM and PR duo is smart enough to pull that off if they wish to.

No matter how smart you are, you can't fight stupidity. The stupidity will always win.

EDIT: To put it another way, you can lead a horse (GP guest) to water (the information about the new ride), but you can't make him drink (actually read and understand the info).

• Like 1

I think there is a certain subset of the general population that prefers their frightening fiction to reality, and without any actual reasons to back it up they will create stories. I have no doubt that in some people's minds, the brand new coaster this year has already killed someone.

So, as jcgoble3 says, the stupidity will always win. If you let it.

I think it was a great marketing ploy to resurrect the name, for people like me who have always wished that they could have ridden the original. I know it isn't the same thing, but I can pretend. No reason to trash the possible legacy appeal by allowing fear of the name (among those who won't have a positive image of KI anyway) to continue to give the park a black eye.

• Like 5

I think there is a certain subset of the general population that prefers their frightening fiction to reality, and without any actual reasons to back it up they will create stories. I have no doubt that in some people's minds, the brand new coaster this year has already killed someone.

So, as jcgoble3 says, the stupidity will always win. If you let it.

I think it was a great marketing ploy to resurrect the name, for people like me who have always wished that they could have ridden the original. I know it isn't the same thing, but I can pretend. No reason to trash the possible legacy appeal by allowing fear of the name (among those who won't have a positive image of KI anyway) to continue to give the park a black eye.

Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself.

ThatGuy, who likes to read Harry Potter.

But seriously, I think they renamed Flight Deck to The Bat because the old Bat was similar to the present day Bat and KI probably wanted to acknowledge a time in KI's history when the park wasn't that old and when its popularity was just taking off. I am glad they made the name change because if you look past all of the rumors, they were letting people know that the park doesn't forget where they came from.

I think our GM and PR duo is smart enough to pull that off if they wish to.

No matter how smart you are, you can't fight stupidity. The stupidity will always win.

EDIT: To put it another way, you can lead a horse (GP guest) to water (the information about the new ride), but you can't make him drink (actually read and understand the info).

But with that, you're implying that a majority of Kings Island's guests are that way, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case.

Also, if renaming Flight Deck to Bat was seemingly such a bad idea, why did Kings Island just do it?

• Like 1

Build a quality wooden coaster and they will come. One ride on said new coaster would dispel any confusion with ole SOB. Positive word of mouth is the greatest friend of the marketeer. If it is good people will know about it.

• Like 1

One ride on said new coaster would dispel any confusion with ole SOB.

Or they very well could think that it was a fixed version of... never mind, I'm not getting through.

jcgoble3, applying his previous post (but whether I'm on the "smart" or "stupid" side of that remark may never be known)

Total return on investment of steel coaster or other ride over relevant time less total return on wood coaster in same time equals difference.

If difference is a positive, absent other non-quantitative factors (desire to install wood coaster for whatever reason), wood coaster does not get installed, for whatever reason. As has been the case at Kings Island from 2001 on, at Cedar Point from 1992 on, at Carowinds and Kings Dominion from 1995 on, and at Canada's Wonderland since the park opened with its three original wood coasters. Literally 33 years of capex, of new rides, of Behemoths and sich, and nary another new wood coaster since year one. It makes one wonder.

And Wonderland has no Son of Beast history...,

• Like 2

I would love to see another new wooden coaster that is a true woodie. However, as you states yes that's the case, they just don't want em anymore.

If another woodie does hit KI, don't compete with The Beast. I'm tired of seeing the SOB, or Beast this that, etc. A coaster doesn't need records to be great, just make me a great ride and let it sell itself.

• Like 4