Next New Ride?

Delirium2018

Like many, I am not expecting much next season (though I do expect a set of Flying Scooters based upon recent upgrades at CF parks), so what I am hoping for and so far this still plays out as a possibility is something similar to Kings Dominion's 12 days of Christmas (or whatever it was called exactly) of last offseason. For those that did not follow along, basically each day they announced another new addition to the park, often they brought back old fan favorites like the Singing Mushrooms or their Clown Band; nothing extravagant, but things that people who have attended the park for years loved.

So for KI, I'm thinking something along the lines of:

The Vine Tunnel, I'd personally be most excited for the return of this, could even be in a different spot of the park, but that was always fun to walk thru as a kid.

Flying Eagles, even if its a brand new set that is not as snapable as those that were stolen moved by Carowinds

A new lighting package in Coney Mall to help spruce up the area.

The Talking Tree in Planet Snoopy

Improved Parking lot (with trams)

Some TLC for Tower Gardens

etc.... Basically find 12 things, some that really get people excited (like the Eagles), some that bring back a strong sense of nostalgia, and some that may otherwise go unnoticed except for the careful eyes of people that post here (for instance the back patio area of the Festhaus that was added last season, was rarely mentioned but looks awesome)

A bunch of small steps this offseason could go a long way. In addition to Banshee, they've taken a lot of "small" steps the past few off seasons that I think have really improved the look and feel of the park. Keep 'em coming.

• Like 11

That was always a favorite place to walk through was that vine tunnel.

I would expect that KI will make a minor addition or two for next season. I haven't been in a few years, so I'm not sure what else they need as far as paint, general clean up of an area. I'd like to see something get added to the area where Firehawk and the old Outer Limits (don't even know what it's called now) are.

• Like 3

As far as paint, removing the remaining old theming from The Bat, and some work on The Vortex's station building (there is some serious peeling of the back of the cupola roof, for example) wouldn't be amiss.

I'd love to see the return of the vine tunnel. It was always a nice place to get a bit of natural cooling on hot days.

I'd much rather some intense focus on the little things than anything major next year.

• Like 7

There are a few things I would like to see in coming years-

1. Trees planted in Soak City in that sea of concrete (or some sort of shading or ways to make it cooler to walk on)

2. A restroom in X-base (been burned by this many a time this season)

3. Repave the parking lot

4. More consistent ride crews, don't just have the new/popular rides have the 'good' crews, all the rides should have service on par with the new/popular rides

5. Consistency with promotions, the drink wrist bands were a mess of a promotion this year, at least from my experience

• Like 5

^1. I'm saying more trees between the pools. There are giant slabs of concrete with no shade, and you could do it away from the water attractions. The Beach pulls it off well and the pools there are mostly clean of leaves, at least not to the extent where I'd call it messy.

2. I had an incident upon my most recent visit where I went to a few stands, they said they didn't sell them at the stands anymore, then went to guest relations who told me they didn't exist for 2014, then only to hear someone else who went the day I went say they got one. I don't know what to believe about them at Kings Island.

• Like 4

Did the drink wrist-band promotion work the same as at Cedar Point? If so, I thought it worked great.

No. The drink wristbands were available to the general public at any food/drink stand, not with purchase of a special admission ticket. They were $9.99 plus tax. The problems were:

1. They were never, ever advertised or promoted in any form whatsoever that I was aware of. I only found out about them by accident; I was taking cover from rain at the ice cream stand on the back of Juke Box Diner, and another KICer with me was chatting with the worker there and mentioned that they should sell all-day drink wristbands. The worker replied that they did and held up the sheet of wristbands, which I had seen lying next to registers since opening day but never figured out what they were until then.

2. There was, and maybe still is, a lot of confusion over whether they were even supposed to be offered in the first place, despite the fact that registers have buttons specifically for them. Different people have gotten different answers at different places. At least one person here was told at Guest Services late in the "regular season" that they were never supposed to be available and that they had been discontinued, but after that was posted here, I went to the park on 8/20 and was able to purchase a drink wristband (I forget who sold it to me and where) and used it throughout the day with no problems or questions. So the people in charge need to get their heads together and decide whether these should be sold, and if not, pull them from all registers.

• Like 3

Did the drink wrist-band promotion work the same as at Cedar Point? If so, I thought it worked great.

No. The drink wristbands were available to the general public at any food/drink stand, not with purchase of a special admission ticket. They were $9.99 plus tax. The problems were:

1. They were never, ever advertised or promoted in any form whatsoever that I was aware of. I only found out about them by accident; I was taking cover from rain at the ice cream stand on the back of Juke Box Diner, and another KICer with me was chatting with the worker there and mentioned that they should sell all-day drink wristbands. The worker replied that they did and held up the sheet of wristbands, which I had seen lying next to registers since opening day but never figured out what they were until then.

2. There was, and maybe still is, a lot of confusion over whether they were even supposed to be offered in the first place, despite the fact that registers have buttons specifically for them. Different people have gotten different answers at different places. At least one person here was told at Guest Services late in the "regular season" that they were never supposed to be available and that they had been discontinued, but after that was posted here, I went to the park on 8/20 and was able to purchase a drink wristband (I forget who sold it to me and where) and used it throughout the day with no problems or questions. So the people in charge need to get their heads together and decide whether these should be sold, and if not, pull them from all registers.

I was told by park management that they were for groups only. I found this statement to be confusing, but I respected it.

I overheard someone asking for one at Auntie Ann's on International Street a few weeks later. The associate told the customer that they were for groups and they needed to supply a voucher for one. Made sense.

I bought food in the Festhaus a few weeks later and when the associate there offered me a souvenir cup, I declined. I jokingly told him I didn't want to lug that thing around all day. He then proceeded to tell me that the drink wristbands were available too. Fearing that I would be accused of doing something wrong, I declined.

Yeah...

• Like 1

After the round of B&M giga coasters has ran the gambit, presumably making its way to Kings Island for its next major coaster installation 19/20.

Cedar Fair is going to have to look long and hard at Intamin to enhance their collection of top thrill coasters.*

*Unless there is major shake ups in the industry in the timespan.

• Like 1

Its not just Cedar Fair that has turned away from Intamin rollercoasters, its seemingly everyone in North America. After a decade plus of installing at least 1, often 2 sometimes more than 2 rollercoasters (according to RCBD.com) a year in North American Parks, they built none in 2013, 2014 and have nothing on the books for 2015 yet. Sure they've got some towers going up in North America, but with the problems and delays (perhaps not all their fault) in the big droppy things at New Jersey and Tampa, it makes me wonder if they'll lose some luster there as well (at least from the park perspective, those who have ridden and enjoy big droppy rides have raved from what I've read, they are not my thing). Cedar Fair is no different from any other business, they want things that are reliable and constant. Missing nearly an entire summer at Busch had to be extremely fustrating. Not being able to operate both rides in New Jersey at the same time (while perhaps not their fault) has to be frustrating.

While they've remained somewhat active in the rest of the world (though far less active than the 1st decade of this century), they appear to be very silent in North America. Obviously there is time to mend relationships, and rebuild their North American Brand, or perhaps other companies are filling that void. B&G appears to be filling that 300+ foot void, now they've added launched ride to enhance their winged coaster brand. There's a 4D being installed at Six Flags this offseason, lots of awesome looking hybrids the last couple of years, etc..... Perhaps their time has simply past, perhaps they'll make a comeback, they're not that far removed from creating top end coasters. In either case, Cedar Fair will mix in other coasters than B&G at some point.

• Like 4

Wait, there's an Auntie Anne's now at KI? OOOOOOHHH, I gotta get back to KI. I love their pretzels. Especially those bite sized cinnamon ones. Sorry for the off-topic post, but I couldn't get past Ryan's mention of Auntie Anne's.

There is one across from the Crypt building and also one by the fountain

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see general improvements to the SR&R/Vortex/Backlot area (the part of Coney Mall that was largely ignored in 2011 while the rest was refreshed)

And by "general improvements", I mean, bring back SR&R fully refurbished and looking new, fresh paint on Vortex (she's starting to need it bad...), get rid of Three Point Challenge (I know, I know... it's a money maker, so it won't happen...) and replace it with something more aesthetically pleasing. Like Flying Scooters. Preferably a good set of Larsons like one would find at Cedar Point and Hartland. Those scooters are very nearly as good as the set at Carowinds (that we will never get back, so perhaps it's time to just let go...).

Get a good gust of wind, and those Larsons are extremely snappable, just as an FYI for anyone who may not have ridden a set.

• Like 3

Except for the random kids that win the basketballs at those games that aren't as good at shooting the ball as they are at dribbling and end up constantly dropping their ball right in the path of where you are walking and almost tripping on it.

• Like 5

I would like to see more entertainment on the years that new major rides are not added. For example the extreme stunt show that they have at Cedar Pointe is really cool. They could build a new amphitheater somewhere in the park. Maybe past the WindSeeker by The Vortex or since they no longer use the action theatre maybe that could be the spot to build it. Urgent Scare would need a new home unless that is not coming back like Holiday Horror did this year.

• Like 1

As someone who has spent an inordinate amount of time in Nick Universe, Planet Snoopy, Hanna Barbera land, or whatever they'll call it next time around- this area has largely untouched since the NU expansion of 2006. Yes, in 2009 they put planes on the Blue's Clue ride, repainted everything, and renamed everything (again), it's largely been unchanged.

Over $60 million spent in other areas (not counting Dinosaurs Alive)... $5-10 million in that area would go a long way- to what I'm not sure; but the area hasn't been touched in years.