Kings Island is getting a marquee sign upgrade

BoddaH1994

Keep in mind that ODOT is going to redesign and reconfigure the whole 71/KI Drive interchange next year, so that will likely move the right of way closer to the sign (since the road will be widened). I would expect the City of Mason to take another look at their zoning laws soon after completion of the project.

• Like 4

Keep in mind that ODOT is going to redesign and reconfigure the whole 71/KI Drive interchange next year, so that will likely move the right of way closer to the sign (since the road will be widened). I would expect the City of Mason to take another look at their zoning laws soon after completion of the project.

Where did you hear this? The latest I can find is that they were in the process of looking at the feasibility of the proposed changes and what (if any) alternatives exist. http://www.wceo.us/pages/I%252d71-%252d-Western-Row-Road-Interchange.html

Looking forward to seeing sign improvements. I don't see them getting a color one though as it wouldn't really serve any purpose with the sign currently being as big as it is.

• Like 1

Like when Paramount added the wrought iron detailing on the the sign post, in order to evoke the famed entrance to its studios in Hollywood? Other than that and the necessary font changes over the years to the lettering, hasn't the actual 'message' part of the sign remained unchanged?

The old sign shown above was completely destroyed in a storm the spring of 04. Paramount then built their new marque with the Hollywood aesthetics. No part of the old structure survived, other than the foundation. I don't know if that was what you were implying or if you thought that the message portion was one and the same.

No, I'm talking about the logo on the sign. Your pictures that you posted earlier of the marquee from 1981 used Kings Island's original, personalized logo which looked better than the ones from the Paramount era and Cedar Fair.

I agree on the logo. I prefer the vintage look and appreciate the uniqueness of it, but a logo is a companies identity and this is a new company. I am glad, however, to see that the vintage logo is still used on some apparel in their gift shops.

The storm was in late September of 2003.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/09/27/loc_mday.html

Nice to see Kings Island's elaborate new goal posts coming along nicely :lol:...

That's what I get for not fact checking ;)

• Like 1

No, I'm talking about the logo on the sign. Your pictures that you posted earlier of the marquee from 1981 used Kings Island's original, personalized logo which looked better than the ones from the Paramount era and Cedar Fair.

I agree on the logo. I prefer the vintage look and appreciate the uniqueness of it, but a logo is a companies identity and this is a new company. I am glad, however, to see that the vintage logo is still used on some apparel in their gift shops.

The storm was in late September of 2003.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/09/27/loc_mday.html

Nice to see Kings Island's elaborate new goal posts coming along nicely :lol:...

That's what I get for not fact checking ;)

It was also night of Pride Night that year. (I only know cause I worked that evening, apart from the weather it was fun. I love Pride Night)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pics or it didn't happen, Greg.

I can't provide pics, but as of this morning, everything was put back together and some of the lights were on (I assume it still needed to be programmed, tested, have software uploaded or whatever other procedures one most go thru from the point where everything is together and the signs start "working") but it wasn't fully operational. It wouldn't surprise me if the last of the programming/testing/etc... happened this morning/afternoon and the thing was good to go, I would assume they would have most of that software put together prio to installation, and they'd have checked the signs to make sure they were operation before they put the top back on. I was going to post something about that this morning, but didn't see the thread at a quick first glance and didn't get a chance to come back until now.

• Like 1

^Portions of the parking lot have actually been receiving attention over the offseason. I think preferred, employee and handicapped lots have been repaved, and probably some patch work in the other sections as well.

Completely 100% true. It looks so much better than it has in past years.

• Like 1