Columbus Concert Trip

Oldiesmann

This past Friday, I drove up to Columbus for a concert (We as Human, Mandisa, Brandon Heath, Third Day, Peter Furler and Skillet for those familiar with Christian music). This was my first time in Columbus (save for a stop at the Quaker Steak & Lube in Polaris on the way back from a Navigators retreat years ago, and passing through on the way to a concert in Zanesville in 2012).

I arrived in Columbus a little after 3. I ended up getting off at a different exit than planned (I got off at High Street instead of Rich Street), but following signs to the statehouse got me where I needed to go (although I turned the wrong way on Broad and ended up about 15 blocks east of where I wanted to be). I arrived at Franklin County Veterans Memorial (where the concert was) around 3:15. The concert didn't start until 6:30, but I wanted to get there before rush hour and also wanted time to explore the area a bit beforehand. My first stop after parking was the statehouse. As I walked towards the capitol building, I noticed that Columbus has kind of a fun "big city" feel to it. Obviously Columbus is much bigger (and apparently flatter) than Cincinnati, and seems to be less spread-out as well, but walking around downtown really gives you a sense of being in a major city. I thought the CoGo system was pretty cool and laughed at Channel 10's Times-Square-esque news ticker sign (not sure why I find that funny, but I do :P).

After taking several pictures at the statehouse (and marveling at the cool architecture of nearby buildings such as the Columbus Post-Dispatch building and the Leveque Tower), I headed across the street to the Rhodes State Office Tower. I checked in with security to get a visitors pass and boarded the elevator for the 40th floor. The view from up there is spectacular, and once again made me realize how unique the terrain of Cincinnati is - Columbus seems quite a bit flatter than Cincinnati.

By the time I got back down to the ground floor, it was almost 4:30, so I headed towards German Village for dinner at Juergen's Restaurant and Bakery, stopping along the way to get photos of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church (I love old churches) and the "old old post office" building, which reminds me in some ways of Cincinnati's City Hall.

The food at Juergen's was great (I had the "Kaeseschnitzel"), but it was weird hearing country music in a German restaurant. It was also amazing how quickly the surroundings went from bustling big city to small-town charm - narrow brick roads, well-kept old brick houses, etc. I then headed back towards the concert venue, taking a slightly different route and trying not to be blinded by the sun. This time I walked along Washington Boulevard, past the front of what used to be Central High School (now part of COSI). I got back to the concert venue around 6 and was glad I had chosen to park when I got there, as traffic was crazy at that point.

The concert was at 6:30 and lasted 4 hours. The auditorium at the veteran's memorial is a nice venue and was a nice change from the large arenas that large shows such as that one are typically held at.

Overall I had a great time during my 3-hour tour of downtown Columbus and nearby areas. It's unfortunate that I didn't have time to do COSI (especially with it being right across the street from the concert venue), but I'm sure I'll make it back up there some day. Maybe we can do a KIC COSI trip someday.

• Like 6

Glad you enjoyed your trip up here; thanks for the report!

By the way, Veterans Memorial is slated for demolition later this year. In its place will be an indoor Columbus Zoo satellite facility (contingent on a tax levy this May), a small outdoor ampitheater, a park, and a museum.

• Like 4

... and laughed at Channel 10's Times-Square-esque news ticker sign (not sure why I find that funny, but I do :P).

Trust me, I do it every freaking time I pass. I believe when they built that Funhouse looking thing, they used to do their broadcast with the windows looking out at the street like the Today show did/does. Except no one cared and they might have had one lonely oddball outside at any given time. I think they scrapped that. Not certain though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the trip report; sounds like you had a good time. :) Did Skillet play much of their new stuff from Rise?

They played a few songs from that album - "Sick of It", "Not Gonna Die" and "Fire and Fury". The rest was from their previous two studio albums ("Hero", "Monster", "The Last Night", "Whispers In The Dark" and "Rebirthing").

• Like 1

... and laughed at Channel 10's Times-Square-esque news ticker sign (not sure why I find that funny, but I do :P).

Trust me, I do it every freaking time I pass. I believe when they built that Funhouse looking thing, they used to do their broadcast with the windows looking out at the street like the Today show did/does. Except no one cared and they might have had one lonely oddball outside at any given time. I think they scrapped that. Not certain though.

Yeah, it was actually a Channel 4 (the NBC affiliate) studio space orginally, but they abandoned it pretty quickly. Channel 10 then took over the signage on the corner.

One of our conference rooms at work has windows to that corner and you can see the sign animations reflecting off the conference table and in your peripheral vision...it can be really distracting. (Especially if it's during a meeting you've already sort of mentally checked out of :-)

• Like 1

I really never liked skrillex at all but the new album is nice. Took me by surprise. The guy still seems like an an a hole to me, but hey I don't know him I guess. Sounds like a good time though glad you enjoyed it! Columbus is a very fun city.

Skillet != Skrillex...

• Like 3

Wow lol I am an idiot sorry. I di not really listen ti Skillet bu a friend really lkes them and they certainly seem nicer than skrillex lol. I have no really slept at all last two weeks due to a new job...please excuse dumb posts while I adjust : p

I am going to leave these spelling errors to show aforementioned exhaustion.

• Like 2