Scrambler Age

homestar92

I have a question about our Scrambler that perhaps one of our Coney Island Savvy members can answer. Don tweeted this in December:

"The Scrambler celebrates its 45th anniversary in 2014. Opened in 1969 at Cincinnati's Coney Island."

(from https://twitter.com/KingsIslandPR/status/409722066053525504 )

However, Coney Island Central lists in their timeline page here: http://coneyislandcentral.com/timeline.php

That the Scrambler debuted at Coney in 1957.

I have heard rumors (nothing from a documented source) that the Coney Island Scrambler was replaced in 1969 after an incident. I cannot find anything online to support this, but I'm inclined to believe at very least that it was replaced. Would anyone like to share some insight on this matter? It is very perplexing, and it has thoroughly piqued my interest.

• Like 4

That is an interesting question. I had always assumed that the 1969 addition was Coney's first and only. In any case, I thought that since the subject was brought up that I would post this pic. This is an original press used photograph that I own of the Scrambler operating at Coney Island the very last day of seasonal operations 1971. Some day I will scan all of the Coney/KI original photographs I've amassed over the last 15 years.

scamblerconey.jpg

• Like 12

Yes, the current Scrambler is the one that opened in 1969 at Coney, as Dave Althoff has confirmed through the serial number plate. All Eli Bridge rides have a serial number plate that end in a - followed by the year of production. In this case it is -69. I believe that I got the information on the 1957 addition from the Charles Jacques Jr. book on Coney Island. I`m not sure if that is accurate as the history section on Coney`s website does not indicate when the original Scrambler was installed in the park. So if there was a replacement Scrambler installed, I do not know why.

Eli Bridge first introduced the Scrambler in 1955.

Wow, 2001. I was just 16 at the time. And used to post on Coasterbuzz. I can`t remember the last time that I posted on there. I still check out their forums and news section a lot though. It is amazing how quickly time flies. I had lunch just the other day with a good friend from this site, and we were mentioning and discussing the same thing with how time flies. Its hard to believe that Diamondback is now five years old already! Time flies when you are having fun!

• Like 12