Wounded vet turned away at Six Flags Fiesta Texas

I didn't see a thread titled with this, but if it is being discussed in a different thread somewhere feel free to post link.

Source; http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/03/16/humiliating-hero-six-flags-turns-wounded-vet-sgt-stephen-jackel-away-ride-denies-him

The wounded veteran said on “Fox and Friends” this morning that nobody told him there would be rides that he wouldn’t be allowed to ride. Instead, he found out when he got on the “Boomerang” rollercoaster.

Jackel said an attendant told him, “Without one fully functioning leg, you are not gonna be able to ride this ride.” He was then sent to hospitality, where he said he asked for a full refund and was offered comp tickets instead.

Quick question...was Darien Lake still Six Flags when the incident there happened?

• Like 1

They're making it out to be terrible for the park

Ride SOP states must have one functioning arm and leg. He is a bilat AKA, he clearly does not meet the ride requirements.

Park gave him right to stay and enjoy the rides he can ride, and then comped him tickets for a future visit.

Later publicly the park gave a press release and is getting into contact to refund his purchase.

They have done everything right, nothing wrong. Honestly he's all worked up over a very crappy poorly maintained boomerang.

But this had the possibility to be a repeat of Darien lake where another bilat AKA rode a ride and was ejected and died.

• Like 7

I would assume that he would've known that he wouldn't be allowed. Its common sense. He is using his service in the military to get what he wants, considering that he keeps on bringing up that fact. I realize that Six Flags did not tell him, yes, that is there fault, but if I had two broken legs or something like that, I would not even think about going.

I have a relative allergic to peanuts.

First thing that is always asked when at a restaurant: do you use peanut oil and is there a possibility the food has come in contact with peanuts?

Why is this relevant? When you have a condition that has special restrictions, you know where & when to ask questions relating to your condition.

• Like 9

Of course his Military Service is being hyped up, what else do you expect from Faux News? Perceived Injustice towards Soldiers and Christians is just their thing.

No one told him that there would be any rides that he could not ride? That should have went without say.

• Like 9

It didn't mean that his daughter couldn't ride, and by being turned away, he could eventually watch her graduate some day.

I can understand he was disappointed, but if he could not hold himself in, his last vision would be his daughter watching him fall.

Funny how his service to our country was reported, which while great, has zero to do with riding, and his safety was not mentioned once.

Appeal to ethos. Though, I've heard of harnesses that accommodate people without certain limbs etc.

The park most definitely is covered as they have postings on their website stating that they require riders to have the ability to brace in addition to needing to have a functioning leg.

https://www.sixflags.com/sites/default/files/docs/park/ada-guidelines/ADAGuide_SANA_0.pdf (see page 6)

-

Great that he is a war hero, much respect to him, and I think a full refund would've been adequate for him alone, but given his condition that he is responsible for in his life now, he should've had the curiosity to see if he would be allowed to ride things.

It took me all but 1 minute to find the above posted link; an additional 45 seconds to find the print about rider's required abilities to ride.

The ADA lists specific guidelines to follow and have regarding riding restrictive rides.

It is his responsibility to check his abilities before spending the money, though, as I've said, I think a full refund wasn't too much to ask.

A story, biased one at that, is unnecessary.

At the least, he could've called the park for a conversation to get the information he needs.

• Like 1