Coasters you never got the chance to ride.

What are some coasters that you never got to ride that if time travel were ever invented you'd go back and ride. I have quite a few but I'll start with some of the ones that are high on my wish list.

Orient Express- Worlds of Fun

Great American Scream Machine- Six Flags Great Adventure

Hercules- Dorney Park

Big Bad Wolf- Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Hurricane - Myrtle Beach Pavilion

Villain - Geauga Lake

Laser- Dorney Park

• Like 3

I think I did a topic like this once, but it's super old now so, ehh, I guess it can be left dead and discussion can go on in this one. :P

So, which coasters that no longer exist would I want to go back and ride the most if I had a time machine? Well...

Aeroplane Coaster @ Rye Playland

One of the most interesting and fun looking classic wooden coasters ever built. I would love to go back and ride this one...if I could choose a particular year, I'd go back to when it was still very young and Rye Playland was at its finest.

Son of Beast @ Kings Island

This one's an interesting ingima, to say the least. Many considered this one of the greatest coaster failures of all time, citing the ride as insanely rough and painful. However, there were some who actually did enjoy it, making me want to ride it to see for myself if it really did suck or if it was actually good. Sadly I never got the chance...but in this scenario I would. As for what version, I'd go all the way back to the ride's debut season of 2000...for nostalgia purposes since I did visit the park as a young kid that year, and to see what the park was like from an adult's POV back then. Oh, and I'd do more than just Son of Beast: the park also had King Cobra, Phantom Theatre, Flying Eagles, Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal, Backwards Racer (recaR), and probably a few more rides that no longer exist. There was also Beast w/skid brakes and Flight of Fear w/OTSR's. All of which I would try to do on my trip. :P

The Bat @ Kings Island

Same park as the ride above...very different year and era. I would love to try the park's original suspended coaster, with it's crazy swinging, as well as experience classic Kings Island at its finest. I'd also hit up the too-many-to-list-here defunct rides that existed in 1981, as well as Beast & Racer in their prime. Though since Kings Island seemed much more crowded in the '80s, I'd have to wait more than likely...and Fast Lane didn't exist yet. :P Also may need to re-try this one a few times to get a day The Bat
was open since it broke down a lot.

Big Bad Wolf & Drachen Fire @ Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Yeah, TWO coasters here, since I'd aim for a date when both were still running in their original forms (did BBW even change much though?), which would probably be the early 90's. BBW was a legendary coaster...Drachen Fire was a legendary flop. Though I would still like to try both.

Texas Giant @ Six Flags Over Texas

Original, not "New" version, of course. This would be a trip back to the early to mid 90's, before "The Giant" became a rough trimmed-to-death ride and a shell of its former self and was still one of the best wooden coasters in the world.

Hercules @ Dorney Park

Another woodie I would want to ride in its early years, since from what I have heard things went south fairly quickly with Hercules. The layout looks awesome though, and Terpy liked it.

Cyclone @ Crystal Beach

One of the most savage, brutal coasters ever made- I'd want to try it at least once just for that reason. Hope I don't die. :P

Thunderbolt & Tornado @ Coney Island NYC

Another two-pack: the wooden coasters at Coney Island NY that no longer exist. Tornado looks the more interesting of the two, but Thunderbolt still looks like it was fun. And I'd hit up Cyclone as well since I haven't even been to this park in real life (ditto most other parks here though).

Shooting Star @ Coney Island Ohio

This one is also twofold- one reason is because I want to ride the fun, uber-smooth classic wooden coaster and the other is I would also enjoy visiting Kings Island's parent park in its heyday. I'd probably go sometime in the 1950's so I could ride the Wildcat as well.

Other Classic Woodies @ Various Parks

There are too many to list. Way too many. :wacko:

• Like 6

Son of Beast- Kings Island

Big Bad Wolf- Busch Gardens Williamsburg

The Bat- Kings Island

Big Dipper- Geauga Lake

Roller Soaker- Hersheypark

Jumbo Jet- Cedar Point

Rolling Thunder- Six Flags Great Adventure

Drachen Fire- Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Great American Scream Machine- Six Flags Great Adventure

Hercules- Dorney

I'm sure there are many more as well.

• Like 1

I only have one big one I missed while at Six Flags Great Adventure which is Batman and Robin: The Chiller. Both sides closed down the day I went (I saw both sides in operation, they closed as I was about 2 cycles from boarding).

I also had a habit of going to a few parks a year before they brought in their next big ride. I went to Hershey before they installed Storm Runner (went back later to get it and Fahrenheit though), I went to Dollywood a year before they installed both Tennessee Tornado and Mystery Mine respectively (got to ride both), Cedar Point the year before Millennium Force (been back twice since), and SFGAdv while Nitro was in the works.

I got lucky at Kings Dominion (then PKD) as Hypersonic XLC opened later in the day and snagged that credit (though I missed out on Avalanche).

To add to the SOB discussion, I rode it pretty much every year it was open until 2007, including opening night for pass holders in 2000. I enjoyed it for the most part, but that's due to only limiting myself to the front 2 seats, and even then it was hit or miss in terms of ride quality (I usually rode it a maximum of twice each during a single day). I rode it once post-2006 and refused to get on it after that as it was more terrible than with the original trains. I honestly felt like it would of stalled if there was a good wind present (pacing was sluggish) and it shimmied like no one's business.

• Like 1

I suddenly feel very, very old, having ridden the overwhelming majority of the coasters mentioned by name so far. I didn't ever get to ride the original Bat. Oh, how I wish I had. Rye Aeroplane, Riverview Bobs, Virginia's Shooting Star, Cedar Point Cyclone, Wildcat at Coney Island of Ohio, the CNE Flyer, These United States, the Vetel in Louisiana at Lake Ponchartrain, whole parks like Palisades Park, the lost wonders in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia parks like State Fair and Charleston's Luna Park and on and on.

And oh yeah, I never got to Hard Rock Park aka Freestyle Music Park.

• Like 2

Flight of Fear w/OTSR's.

Please don't mention this....I have successfully suppressed those painful memories.

On second thought, yeah...maybe not. Especially if I'd be doing Son of Beast (notoriously rough), King Cobra (also known for roughness), Vortex (can be quite rough), and Beast (also sometimes rough if you sit in the wrong seat) on the same day...oh dear, can you saw OUCH!?!? :wacko:

• Like 1

Here's my list, and it's limited only to Kings Island...

1. Son of Beast (2000-2006): Rode it without the loop in 2009, curious to see how different of an experience it was with the loop and Premier trains.

2. King Cobra: Remember hearing about it and always wanted to ride it, but never got the chance to. I've never been on a stand-up before. Might stop in to Carowinds on my way to Savannah, GA in June- Vortex will definitely be on my list to ride if I do.

3. The Bat (1981-1984): Wanted to see the differences between the first Arrow suspended and what we have today.

4. Backwards Racer (1982-2007): Rode the forward Racer many many times during that time, but for some reason never got on the backward side. The first year I got a pass in 10 or 15 years, it was changed so that both go forward.

• Like 1

When I first read the name of this topic, two coasters immediately came to mind: Hypersonic XLC and King Cobra (KI). I went to KD once when I was younger in Hypersonic's opening year (I would love to go again), but never got the courage to ride (plus, I was told the line was 4 hours long and it kept breaking down...). I almost got to ride King Cobra, but I was too short :(

• Like 1

Where do I even start?!

Villain - Geauga Lake

Hypersonic XLC - Kings Dominion

Thunderbolt - Coney Island NYC

King Cobra - Kings Island

Son of Beast with loop - Kings Island (an only marginally improved experience, I'm sure, but it would be nice to ride it in the original form)

Thunderbolt Express - Camden Park

Big Bad Wolf - Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Either Californian Giant Dipper, when equipped with original trains

To name a few.

I missed out on one side of Rolling Thunder when I visited Great Adventure in 2012. Looks like I'm not getting around to it now.

• Like 1