Fanny Packs/Waist Packs

BruceWayneWins

Honestly it's quite a shame that waist packs are mocked like they are... I can't think of a more convenient and safe way to carry a small number of essentials. I would trust a zipped waist pack a LOT more than the Velcro pockets on my cargo shorts. Many years ago, before they were ridiculed to the extent that they are now, I used a waist pack at KI. It was great actually, and I don't recall ever having to stow it. Maybe the hipster movement or something will make them acceptable. :P

And to answer the "why do you need to bring things with you" questions that sometimes arise... a few things really are essential imho. Keys, cellphone, wallet, hand sanitizer (laugh away... but I bet roller coaster restraints are among the nastiest things you could touch at Kings Island), sunglasses, a couple Ibuprofen, etc. I like to be prepared.

• Like 10

I don't care what the people in the "fashion" industry say, I love my shorts! Especially my cargo shorts. I've got a couple of nice pair that I got from American Eagle several years ago, but they are starting to show some wear. It's nice to hear that Kohls has some nice ones this year. I kind of hate how stores change styles and cuts from season to season. What you could wear one year, you might not be able to wear the next. This is the fact with American Eagle now. I'll have to give Kohls a try. God knows I have to have me some cargo shorts for my KI visits!

• Like 2

Quick life lesson:

The less you worry about other people's opinion of your "style", the more freedom you'll have to live your life in the style you prefer.

If you find a "fanny pack" convinent and useful, there is no sense worrying what someone else is going to think about it.

But if you don't like the fanny pack, here's an idea, go find a zipable small bag that is large enough to carry any possesions you want to have at the park, wallet, ID, phone, keys, etc... and still fit into your pocket. If you hit up a Dicks or golf store, you can find something along these lines designed for golf tees. I'm sure there are a bunch of other similar bags designed for other uses that can be used for a "KI" bag Then find a clip that you can use to hook that bag to your pocket.

• Like 12

I was very excited when I found some normal looking cargo shorts at Kohl's that had zipper pockets. No more frantically feeling my pockets midway through a ride thinking my phone, wallet, and keys slipped out. Wal-Mart also has some this year but the pockets aren't nearly as deep .

When was this? Last summer I couldn't find any normal looking cargo shorts with zipper pockets. I looked at Kohls, Meijer, Old Navy, Gap, etc.

I had my wife sew in zippers on the pockets of my mesh shorts. Works great.....phone, line candy, and wallet fit perfect!

I have cargo jean shorts, but walking around in the heat and humidity all day, those tend to get heavy and cause me to do that weird/funny walk that all guys know about.

• Like 5

Quick life lesson:

The less you worry about other people's opinion of your "style", the more freedom you'll have to live your life in the style you prefer.

SHHHHHHHHHH! Tanna wanted me to get a mullet. Don't give her ideas it's ok.

• Like 4

I was very excited when I found some normal looking cargo shorts at Kohl's that had zipper pockets. No more frantically feeling my pockets midway through a ride thinking my phone, wallet, and keys slipped out. Wal-Mart also has some this year but the pockets aren't nearly as deep .

When was this? Last summer I couldn't find any normal looking cargo shorts with zipper pockets. I looked at Kohls, Meijer, Old Navy, Gap, etc.
Just this year at Kohl's. They are Lee Dungarees. There is just one zipper pocket that is a little hidden over the right cargo pocket. Otherwise they just look like regular cargo shorts. The one pocket is big enough for my phone, keys, and wallet with room to spare. Yes, I have already tried out my attire in preparation for opening day.

The reason it seems to me why people think that fanny packs need to be banned (in jest only) is because they are not cool, hip, or is not stylish. It kind of reminded me of young people in school didn't want to carry an umbrella for the same reason. They are very convenient to wear and holds the basic needs for the day. Plus, with the easy opening clips, you can remove it from your waist very easily without much effort. One thing, if you notice EMTs and athletic trainers, they all wear some form of a fanny pack for the essential items that they require for their job.

• Like 6

I don't have a preference or care in the world about what other people do...as long as they don't impinge on my good time or well being, I'm happy when other people are having the time of their lives...I don't care who they are...what they dress and look like, etc.

Still can poke fun though. Just like I'm certain others do of me.

• Like 7

Why should waist packs be "illegal"? :wacko:

I, for one, do not mind wearing mine, and the main reason I wear it to any amusement park is because waist packs are allowed on rides. Plus, I normally don't wear cargo shorts, although this year I may figure out a way to carry the few things I take in my pockets somehow, to allow for those few days when I feel like traveling extra-light without the pack around my waist.

I understand some people don't prefer waist packs, but just remember that there are some people who do. :)

• Like 2

Kmart has ladies cargo pants. I bought a pair. The pockets are not too deep. I went to a few thrift stores and found cargo pants really cheap. I bought a pair of men's shorts to try on and actually like that pair better than the ladies cargo pants/shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They shouldn't be banned.

My way of seeing it, even though they are SLIGHTLY "unfashionable" (because what isn't), don't let anyone tell you they're stupid.

Odds are, no one pays attention to you if you're over the age of 30.

If you're any age under 30, people are going to notice and MIGHT chuckle.

If you're 21 and younger, and wear one, odds are you're gonna be laughed at. But don't let that ruin your day!

I have cargo shorts with zippers, buttons, etc. and they do the job just as well as the fanny packs.

Nothing against fanny packs, but you will never see me with one simply because I don't need one.

• Like 5

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with fanny packs, despite what some people, even in this very thread, would have you believe. I only switched to cargo shorts because I grew tired of dealing with the fanny pack, since Holiday World does NOT allow them on their coasters.

At KI, Xtreme Skyflyer is the only ride that will require you to remove your fanny pack. Some other rides, notably Firehawk, will require that the pack be rotated to the side of your body to prevent it from interfering with the restraint.

Why do they need to be outlawed?

Cedar Fair sells them, look for Coaster Gear in the park stores that's where we got ours. They are very useful and with a large sweatshirt or any large shirt (not tucked in) no one can see that you have one on. I carry a video camera, phone, cigarettes and lighter in mine and it was on every ride at Cp, KI, KD, Bush Gardens and more for the last 10 years and never lost a thing. It is also a great place to put that loose change that I get from the stands during the day after a blue ice cream. I say was because finally after all of those years I had to replace mine last year at KI because the pull tab on the zipper broke off.

I might start wearing a fanny pack this year. Been talking to my emo friends and my peeps who wear a Bluetooth, and we are going to make this fashionable. Might even wear a hulahoop with a red arrow attached that points to the hip pack. Point it out man. Make it cool like basketballs and oversized stuffed animals brahs.

• Like 3

While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a good, affordable waist pack for a DSLR camera and at least one lens (possibly two)? I will have a fancy new DSLR to use this season and I want to take lots of pictures to share on my favorite Kings Island fansite, but I don't want to be renting lockers every time I go to Kings Island.

Oh, and preferably one that will bring the risk of camera damage when riding a coaster to a minimum.

The trunk of your car?

Seriously, I don't think you're going to find a usable waist pack for a DSLR camera and lenses. And if you do find one big enough for it, it won't be able to ride with you on every ride; the small bag for my advanced point-and-shoot that attaches to my belt/fanny pack strap isn't allowed on Diamondback, for example, and probably not Firehawk either.

Bah. Humbug.

I suppose that for Kings Island, I can deal with walking to my car and back. I guess I'll just buy an all-day locker at other parks I go to.

Or perhaps I should invest in a really nasty, horrible looking case so I can just chuck it in the bins and nobody will WANT to steal it :P

• Like 1