New hotel next year

goodtimes

The deal for building a hotel where the campground is currently got finalized about 2 weeks ago... from what I've heard Mason was one of several cities bidding for it, (including Indianapolis and a few other big cities i cant remember) it's reported to cost 65 million and be done by 2006 I believe. Its a joint venture between Mason Ki and an outside company. Anyways, does anyone know what fate lies ahead for the campground? Is it moving or gone all together? If anyone who works there or knows anything could update please do......

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stayed at the campground for a week in June and enjoyed my stay there immensely. I was hoping to do the same again next summer but the odds of a new campground being in place for next summer are low at this point I would guess.

I talked to a representitive from the campground a few weeks ago, and he said that the campground would be closing at the end of the summer, I forget the month he said. When I asked if they are planning on being open next summer, he said that they arent taking reservations and believes the current site of the campground will be closed. He did not know whether they would have a new site or not.

It's definately a letdown for people coming from out of town in the summer, the campground is the perfect place to stay as you are close to the park. Not too mention the money you can save, not only is it much cheaper then a hotel you don't have to pay for parking either.

I really hope PKI can pull something together, and find a new site for the campground for next summer.

The hotel with the indoor waterpark in Sandusky is the Great Wolf Lodge. This is the same company that wants to build on the Kings Island campground. Last I heard, Great Wolf Lodge and Kings Island were still negotiating the deal and it wasn`t quite finalized.

The Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky looks very nice (I just got back around 1 today after visiting Cedar Point and Ohio`s Roller Coast.) However, it only had a couple of water slides. I stayed at the Radisson Inn, which is being transformed into Castaway Bay. Castaway Bay looks like it will be better (at least in terms of the indoor waterpark) than Great Wolf.

I have mixed feelings about a Great Wolf opening on the Campground. I don`t want to see PKI loose its campground, because it provides some what of a buffer between Top Gun and the "outside" That is one thing I dislike about Cedar Point is that many of their rides are located near roads for their on property resorts, marinas and beaches. While the lake setting is beautiful, it is hindered some what, IMO, by cars driving by Millenium Force`s station. Besides loosing some green space near Top Gun, I don`t have any objections to it. I think the lodege would fit in with PKI push for themed attractions. However, I wander how much of an impact the indoor waterpark will have on Boomberang Bay.

I read in the Pulse Journal (Mason and West Chester's local newspaper) about the hotel deal 2 or 3 weeks ago. They said the deal was finalized and they also mentioned something about an indoor waterpark so coasterRZ seems to be on the right track as to what we're going to get.

I still hope the campground sticks around though, it's a really cool place to spend a weekend trip. Maybe they could relocate it back to where the wild animal habitat used to be, that area isn't being used (I don't think) and that would give it more of a camping feel to be out in the woods as opposed to right next to KI Drive. Regardless, Kings Island would be doing themselves a disservice to not include their camper customers in future park plans, especially since the "alternative" of new hotel rooms are supposed to be upwards of $400 a night. (a lot more expensive than camping for those who've never been) I'm sure they'd hate to lose the business of all these loyal guests.

The Great Wolf lodge has more slides than you can see from outside.

I stayed at the Radisson July 6 and I hated it. Even with the addition of Castaway Bay; they need to do something with the walking times in that hotel; it took me almost 10 minutes to get to my room on the fourth floor. Pain in the "bottom" when there's only 2 places to catch an elevator in a hotel.

The hotel with the indoor waterpark in Sandusky is the Great Wolf Lodge.

Isn't the resort in Sandusky called Great Bear Lodge? Maybe a name change occured; when our family went to Cedar Point last year, I believe it was Bear rather than Wolf.

Maybe this has something to do with the "Big Announcement." I haven't heard anything at all about this new resort for King's Island from anywhere.

When I went to visit Cedar Point in May, the hotel was called the Great Bear Lodge. I read that since I visited they did change the name, to the Great Wolf Lodge to fit in with the rest of the hotels in the chain.

I'll agree with Tanner, the one in Sandusky is huge. The structure looks incredible as it's like a huge log cabin. I wouldn't be against seeing one built in the Mason/Kings Island area, however I just don't like the idea of losing the campground for it.

Besides not like the normal folk can afford a room anyway, I looked at rates on the one in Sandusky and it was over $200 a night!

• 4 weeks later...

After talking to various people from the campground during my stay there the past week I heard many different things.

The campground is open through October 31st 2004. From what I heard the resort will not start construction until PKI has built a new campground and has it open so there is no lapse in service. Apparently the new location for the campground will be in behind Top Gun/ and to the left of Son of Beast on a 35 acre section of land. You can see this area from the Eiffel Tower of Drop Zone, look out towards the green houses behind Top Gun and the field with a few empty trams in it along with King Cobra's track.

Apparently the new campground will feature full hookup sites, with electricty, water as well as sewer hook up's for trailers. As far as price, they don't expect it to be much more then a ten dollar increase on the current prices.

However, that could all change as it is just plans at this point. I was told to check the PKI website the January 1st 2005, as they are going to announce the plans then.

They are encouraging people to email the park, and let them know how they feel about the campground. At this point they have already recieved 6000-8000 emails from people who want the campground to remain. So there's a huge amount of people who would be upset if it leaves, so I hope they do in fact build a new one. I know for one, I would miss it if there is no other option to camp.

The conveniance of being right next to the park, and being able to come and go through the day to change/eat/lounge is perfect for travellers.

That's great, I'm glad to hear they intend to build a new one, and that's a perfect place since putting a ride there would be hard to put a line back to it. Now, since the hotel/resort is going in where the current campground is, maybe PKI could put in a special entrance into AZ for campground and hotel goers, similar to the gold pass Boomerang Bay entrance. I bet alot of people would love to be able to go back to there hotel and rest for awhile, or go cookout in the campground, and then return to the park just by walking a short distance as opposed to catching a bus. I think that'd be a great way to make PKI into more of a resort destination.

The exclusive entrance would be a good idea, however the one thing I am not sure about is exactly how much the Great Wolf Lodge would be associated with PKI.

I assume that PKI would be selling the land to the developers, and then for it to be operated by the Great Wolf Lodge, and not affilated in any direct way to PKI.

I'm sure they would share some branding rights etc in terms of advertising, I just don't believe they will be one entity, which would likely be required for the entrance. Unless the lodging company would want to pay a great amount of money for the PKI entrance connected to their resort.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, the new entrance would reside on PKI property, not the Great Wolf Lodge's, and since they could tie it in with PKI's campground, I'd say it's very possible, and not that expensive to do.

Heck, they could pull a Cedar Point and just have the hotel in the park, if they want guests to feel like they are in hollywood and get the full treatment like a true movie star...then give them the luxury they deserve, if PKI is Hollywoodying the park it should feel like they are in that kind of atmosphere

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone think that PKI/Paramount could be trying to chase off the Great Wolf Lodge, and talking to Mason/Deerfield, about just building their own hotel next to the park, as well as PKI's own indoor waterpark? Would that not be a Paramount first? Think about it, PKI gets something that apparently has some interest in Cincy for the nice cold winters, like now, mason gets more money, and PKI can make money year round, with a hotel, campground, outdoor water park, indoor water park, and an amusement park.

Its a money maker all around for PKI/Paramount. Yes, it would take some initial investment, but having the right firm (like NBGS international) to help plan an indoor water park, would make everything awesome, in terms of pools. slides, rides, kiddie stuff, they could theme in to anything they want, like Hollywood, Amazon Rainforest, something you don't see in Cincinnati.

• 3 weeks later...