Opening weekend crowds

firehawk fan

So I have never been to KI on opening weekend, but my son and one of his buddies is BEGGING to go......just to ride Banshee :) I realize it may be a really good idea to get Fast Lane passes. Just didn't know what to expect. I can imagine even the Fast Lane pass line will be HUGE! Thoughts?

• Like 1

Well, back in 1976 I begged my father to take me to Magic Mountain for the opening of the Revolution roller coaster that was making huge worldwide news as being the first modern day vertical loop coaster....and of course the park was the busiest I have ever seen ......even to this day and I go to lots of parks....anyways.....my father despised crowds like that and waiting in line......so we got there and he knew how much I wanted to go on this its all I talked about the whole year....so, we walked up to as far to the front of the line as we could get...and he just shouted out......"Ive got $200 bucks here for any 2 people willing to give up their spot for my son and I". In 1976, $200 was quite a bit more then it is today.....and a LOT of hands went up for the offer and we of course took the closest to the front......It was awesome......probably the most memorable thing my Dad did for me....out of everything....To bad he isn't still around to go on Banshee with me...but he will be with me spirtitually I guess. So, its up to you....if you want to shell out a FEW hundred dollars....im sure it will work...no guarantees though.... Good luck.
"

• Like 19

Weather will probably be a HUGE factor...based on what I have seen in my years as a KI fan (since 2009) from trip reports and videos, as well as my sister's opening day 2009 visit. In 2011, it was very nice and sunny and the park got huge crowds (in spite of the fact WindSeeker, the major new-for-2011 ride, was not yet ready). In 2012, it was chilly and rainy and many rides had under 30 minute waits. Though there are 2 "X" factors...

#1-Banshee, of course. A big new ride like this will likely draw in a huge crowd, even though it will mostly "soak up" most of these guests early in the day...

#2-Opening day is on a Friday, not a Saturday, so kids may still be in school...until around 3PM or so. Honestly, I kinda expect a surge in the park around that time...

However, I'm 99% sure Banshee itself will, under nearly any conditions, have a monster line at least early on in the day on opening day as it is a brand-new ride. It's the other rides I'm not so sure about.

• Like 2

#2-Opening day is on a Friday, not a Saturday, so kids may still be in school...until around 3PM or so. Honestly, I kinda expect a surge in the park around that time...

Many schools, even public schools, are off on Good Friday.

I know my school isn't. But I'm out in Chicago that week anyways, I will be going to Kings Island on the 26th.

• Like 1

I was at opening day in 2009 for Diamondback and from the looks of the line, I didn't think we were ever going to get on. We were at the very end of the line all the way back by the LaRosa's back between The Beast and Backlot Stunt Coaster. However, it only took around 3 hours to get on. The line seemed to move pretty quick and we were intrigued by watching Diamondback make it's many runs around the newly installed, brightly painted track. We stuck around for a little while after riding Diamondback, and it didn't seem to be too bad around the rest of the park. So even with crowds similar to opening day 2009, I don't think it would be unbearable.

• Like 6

Many workplaces, however, are not. And children below the age of 16 will not easily be going to the park even if they do have school off unless a friend, parent, relative, etc has that day off and is willing to drive them to Kings Island.

Many workplaces, however, are not. And children below the age of 16 will not easily be going to the park even if they do have school off unless a friend, parent, relative, etc has that day off and is willing to drive them to Kings Island.

Well I am lucky to have 2 brothers who have their drivers license :P:)

• Like 2

I haven't made the jump in a couple of years. The last time I tried, I remember getting very delayed and not making it to the park until hours after I had hoped to. And while Banshee would likely make me smile, I've got a Five year old niece whose smile is more important than mine, ( No worries, as her smiling always makes me smile ) and she will want to be inside of Planet Snoopy and atop the big green thing in the center of the park. So, on the 1st Saturday, that is likely where I will be.

• Like 8

Well, lets just remember how Diamondback's line was when it opened in 2009.

1ucZnRM.jpg

With how big of an announcement Banshee has been, the line will be the same/ worse this year. But, everyone at the park will be riding Banshee, free ride-ons for all the other rides. (maybe)

• Like 5

I am taking my daughter out of school both Thursday and Friday. I typically do not do that, but with Media Day, it's an opportunity we may not get to do together again.

I am expecting crowds to be heavy early, but not as heavy as most opening days. I think it will pick up as the day goes on. Saturday if weather is similar to last year it will be packed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I doubt Fastlane will have much impact on your t-shirt Friday, many folks such as myself wont be purchasing Fastlane Plus until Saturday, when I'm off work and have an entire day at the park. I plan on taking the wife and leaving the kids with g-ma ( Kings Island doesn't open for our kiddies until the following weekend :P). I must remember to distract the wife when purchasing Fastlane Plus so she doesn't hear how much it's gonna cost me! " Just run my card, don't say the price...cough cough cough". :unsure:

• Like 10

I doubt Fastlane will have much impact on your t-shirt Friday, many folks such as myself wont be purchasing Fastlane Plus until Saturday, when I'm off work and have an entire day at the park. I plan on taking the wife and leaving the kids with g-ma ( Kings Island doesn't open for our kiddies until the following weekend :P). I must remember to distract the wife when purchasing Fastlane Plus so she doesn't hear how much it's gonna cost me! " Just run my card, don't say the price...cough cough cough". :unsure:

Look over there honey!

(Ring up those FP's quick!) :lol:

• Like 4

I if JR's wife is not paying attention he should buy a few more for people. Sadly I won't be there Saturday.

I have not ever bought a pass, but can you buy them online ahead of time? I doubt I would buy one, but wondering if that's an option. I know we typically go during the week so it's typically small(ish) crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1