Construction?

carpetarson

They probably wanted to keep the Antique Cars open as long as possible before they closed them to start construction. Also, the first couple of weekends the park is open is usually season pass holders any way. Granted, there are some GP with general admission tickets then, but most of the GP doesn`t buy general admission tickets until May when the weather is a little nicer. I`m sure the park wanted to have it open by opening day, but there was probably some underlying reason why they couldn`t. As far as I know, the park hasn`t officially commented on when IJST will open, so who knows.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking back at the pics on the linked on the last paged...

As of last Sunday no footers had been poured.. that I saw.

Since Monday I've seen Cement trucks rolling in and out all day, but now I'm no longer highered and I won't be back until January something. I really should make sure I have my 10 months off a year for being a "seasonal" associate.

I am thinking that footers will not happen, until steel is ready to go. There is no point in pouring footers in really rainy crappy weather unless you really have to. I figure as soon as they have some steel that needs a home, we will see lots of concrete being poured. As for the effects and the timing of them, and them working right, I am sure they will spend lots of time testing it, to see that everything works just right. I am sure the timeline has them with some extra time, so they can test run it, and have it ready for opoening day. Of course, with this being Cincinnati and all, keep in mind, that a harsh winter will slow things down a bunch, either very cold weather or lots of snow/rain. On the flipside a mild winter, would allow them to be able to get more done quicker, and the ride may impress when it opens on opening day.

Footers have to be poured at least a week in advance to allow the concrete to cure enough to be able to accept the loads that the steel will place on it. Just look at Delirium. They poured the footers for it in September and didn`t put anything else on those footers until January. I would imagine that they have started pouring footers by now, besides, wasn`t support and/or track supposed to start showing up this month?

Footers have to be poured at least a week in advance to allow the concrete to cure enough to be able to accept the loads that the steel will place on it. Just look at Delirium. They poured the footers for it in September and didn`t put anything else on those footers until January. I would imagine that they have started pouring footers by now, besides, wasn`t support and/or track supposed to start showing up this month?

I'd say a week would be a terrible underestimate. I give it a month a the least. They're going to have to push this one a little bit, because not only do they have to get the coaster up and running, they have to deal with the themeing too.

I just know that on homes, they wait a week after the foundation and footers are poured before they start to build the rest of the house. I`m in my second year of architecture school at UC. After 24 hours, the concrete has cured enough so that formwork can be removed. I think it is something like 28 days and concrete has cured like 95% and is as strong as it will get, although it continues to cure forever.

I just know that on homes, they wait a week after the foundation and footers are poured before they start to build the rest of the house. I`m in my second year of architecture school at UC. After 24 hours, the concrete has cured enough so that formwork can be removed. I think it is something like 28 days and concrete has cured like 95% and is as strong as it will get, although it continues to cure forever.

Actually, its 7-10 days for concrete to get 85% of its strength. It is 99% at the end of 30 days. Yes, concrete does cure for an extended period, so getting to 100% takes years.

I just know that on homes, they wait a week after the foundation and footers are poured before they start to build the rest of the house.  I`m in my second year of architecture school at UC.  After 24 hours, the concrete has cured enough so that formwork can be removed.  I think it is something like 28 days and concrete has cured like 95% and is as strong as it will get, although it continues to cure forever.

Actually, its 7-10 days for concrete to get 85% of its strength. It is 99% at the end of 30 days. Yes, concrete does cure for an extended period, so getting to 100% takes years.

so "in depth,"

but yeah the concrete needs to be quite sound in order to house a coaster,

when the legend was being built, the footelrs were located, then poured, in sights of guests, they started clearing in july and had some footers done with as of october 1999... it was awesome, construction kept working through december, at which point the lift hill and drop were in place, but not the crest at the very top... ha ha ha, but there was an Xmas tree, a USA flag, and teh HW flag on top of the lift, the highest point in holiday world, which was ironically over one of teh lowest points of the valley.

but yes construction takes a while and as i have heard IH-J opens in may? and the park opens what in april? that means SBNO times! legend openned on time, with a ribbon cutting ceremony, by the owners Pat and Bill Koch, (pronounced Cook) he died later the next year, it was very tragic, but he had a large stretch of highway named after him, if you visit, you will notice it...

he brought the park from 1946's kiddie rides... to the new rides like Raven, Legend, and Zinga... all of which are world renown... it was excellent, a cornfield hosts this beautiful family park... sure size matters, but they are growing quite nicely, from other sources, io hear that they have topped Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom on Attendance.. which is amazing!

Wow! i get off on crazy tangents, Im flighty sorry...

...anyhow...