Your Banshee Experience

Gplez90

I completely agree. Banshee is a perfect fit at Kings Island; it filled a huge hole in Kings Island's coaster collection, and did so superbly.

Like with Volcano: The Blast Coaster at Kings Dominion, I think few realized just how great an addition to the park Banshee was at the time. Five/ten/twenty years from now, Banshee will still be drawing huge lines. That's the true test.

Cedar Fair and Kings Island, in my opinion, made the best possible choice for a 2014 Kings Island coaster addition. Not a mid-size coaster, not an INTAMIN, not even a woodie or a B&M giga, Banshee was just such a perfect addition. A long term perfect addition.

Incredible addition to an already great park, Banshee excels.

• Like 15

I agree. That's why I'm always mixed on getting a giga at the park. Would love to see us get one but something new and different, not just bigger, really helps to enhance the park and make it more diverse. Gigas are fun but it wouldn't be vastly different from Diamondback unless there was something new to it.

I do find it a bit funny though that all three coaster in Action Zone now are ones that hang below the track.

• Like 8

My only thing is that I hope Banshee's crew doesn't operate in power hour mode as much. I'd rather not feel rushed to do things once I get up to the station nor have the boarding crew literally breathing down my neck, especially when they're in 'power hour' mode.

Also, turn down the volume for the loudspeaker in the station.

• Like 4

Well, just read through this thing and realized I haven't even posted my Banshee experience here yet in spite of riding it 3 times last year (for me, that's a lot on 1 coaster in 1 year). :wacko: Not too late to fix that, right?

First off, the ride experience itself: wow. Fast and Forceful, Banshee is one of the most intense coasters I have been on (based on my very small sample size at least which mainly just includes Kings Island and Holiday World for the most part). The g-forces are pretty strong, and the pacing is excellent- non stop for most of the ride, then it throws you off with the "slow roll" at the end. The restraints felt a little tight, but I've felt far worse (...cough cough...Invertigo...cough...) and they didn't tighten at all. At night, the lighting effects do enhance the ride, though not quite as much as being in the middle of the pitch black forest does for Beast. It's still an epic night ride though by all accounts. But I'm just repeating like a broken record 'cuz this has all been said before. I just agree with all of it. Banshee was worth the 4 1/2 hour wait I had for it on Opening Day 2014...that alone should say something. :P

As for the theming? Again, I'm a broken record, but it's very well done. Yeah, there's not too much of it outside of some gravestones, lighting, and the look of the station and it's nowhere near Disney/Universal levels but for a seasonal park this is pretty darn good- especially at night. Though to be honest, I would argue Flight of Fear actually has Banshee beaten in this regard- then again, that ride went all-out with a big fake UFO and all that stuff...

And for the off-ride visuals? Banshee is one beautiful coaster from nearly any angle, and even though it is 50+ feet SHORTER than Son of Beast, the fact it wasn't built in a ditch but right up next to the main midway makes the size difference not seem nearly as big and thus Banshee, like SOB before it, can be seen all over the park. My favorite views though would have to be from Hanks Burrito Shack's back porch (eating a tasty Chicken Burrito and watching Banshee at same time? WIN. :P ) or from the Coney Mall Midway headed towards Oktoberfest and Action Zone (which is nice because the view the other way with Vortex & WindSeeker is also great, hence Coney Mall has nice views from both directions now). It being so close to Delirium has also enchanted that ride, with added near-miss effects that were not there from 2003-2013.

I have to agree 100% with Terpy- Banshee was the PERFECT pick for KI's 2014 coaster. It filled a much-needed gap (KI needed a true, full-circuit invert) and didn't conflict with any of the pre-existing rides in nature (in comparison, a B&M Giga might have gone just a bit against Diamondback, for example). It was placed perfectly, has a great layout, is forceful enough for enthusiasts but not so much the GP cannot enjoy it, is reliable, well themed, and has very high capacity. It is also on the opposite side of the park from the other two "huge" draws, Diamondback and Beast, so it spreads out the crowds as well. And, unlike its predecessor which was SBNO within 10 years of its debut, Banshee should still draw crowds 10 years from now.

Whatever Kings Island does for their next big ride, around 2019 or so, it's gonna have a hard time matching what Banshee did in 2014- regardless of how tall it is, how fast, who builds it, etc etc. Banshee simply nailed it that perfectly.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Went to KI all day Friday and rode Banshee at least 30 times. Yes she still runs like a bat out of hell! Several questions came to mind though after the sun went down and I experienced my first true night ride (not early morning on Media Day). Why does Banshee's sign no longer light up as it did when it first opened? What happened to the mist under the sign? The "eternal" flame on the SOB monument? Fog effects are not cheap so I understand why thats gone or temporarily gone.

7f040cd0d04c65a7afbdba89c036e257.jpg

(Media day morning)

45925e2406d3aec197d429f5a12b893f.jpg

(Night of 5/1/15)

She still looks great, and so does the entire area. I actually forgot how well put together the entire area was, and I'm not at all complaining, just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I agree. That's why I'm always mixed on getting a giga at the park. Would love to see us get one but something new and different, not just bigger, really helps to enhance the park and make it more diverse. Gigas are fun but it wouldn't be vastly different from Diamondback unless there was something new to it.

I do find it a bit funny though that all three coaster in Action Zone now are ones that hang below the track.

B&M Gigas are built for speed....a big drop and small airtime hills with twists and turns. If KI builds a B&M Giga, I hope the use their phenomenal terrain to their advantage. For instance if a lift hill were to begin behind The Racers loading platform and head northward, the first hill could be slightly higher than Diamondback but utilize that very deep valley behind FOF to increase the drop to over 300 feet, maybe add tunnels to that as well...and back there is a wooded hillside where the new giga could have a wonderful night time run similar to The Beast...I'd ride that wouldn't you?

• Like 5

Rode Banshee for the first time in October. We sat mid-train and enjoyed the ride, but I couldn't quite wrap my head around it being as great a ride as everybody was going on about.

Yesterday, the oldest and I sat front row...completely different ride and is now probably my favorite in the park. Beast is still up there for the nostalgia (and it is a great coaster, after all), but that first row Banshee experience...wow.

Honestly, as an analytically-minded person, the most impressive thing to me was the throughput of the ride. It wasn't the smoothest operation (at times there were two trains waiting to unload while one was preparing to depart), but the line moved pretty quick.

• Like 3

Quoting Purdude86.: I agree. That's why I'm always mixed on getting a giga at the park. Would love to see us get one but something new and different, not just bigger, really helps to enhance the park and make it more diverse. Gigas are fun but it wouldn't be vastly different from Diamondback unless there was something new to it. I do find it a bit funny though that all three coaster in Action Zone now are ones that hang below the track.

There's no contest when comparing any of the B&M hyper coasters I've been on and Fury 325, in my opinion. Granted I've only been on 3 of them...Diamondback, Nitro at NJFTP, and Intimidator at Carowinds. All three are within the same speed range with Diamondback and Nitro both at 80mph , Intimidator at 75mph.

All have decent airtime but the increase in speed and height made Fury 325 truly different from any of the B&M hypers.

It's a matter of when not if Kings Island gets theirs I believe. Granted KD didn't have anything of that height when I-305 opened and the last coaster Carowinds got was their Intimidator, I could see it happening here.

I haven't quite gotten the hang of this Tapatalk app.

• Like 2

Went to KI all day Friday and rode Banshee at least 30 times. Yes she still runs like a bat out of hell! Several questions came to mind though after the sun went down and I experienced my first true night ride (not early morning on Media Day). Why does Banshee's sign no longer light up as it did when it first opened? What happened to the mist under the sign? The "eternal" flame on the SOB monument? Fog effects are not cheap so I understand why thats gone or temporarily gone.

7f040cd0d04c65a7afbdba89c036e257.jpg

(Media day morning)

45925e2406d3aec197d429f5a12b893f.jpg

(Night of 5/1/15)

She still looks great, and so does the entire area. I actually forgot how well put together the entire area was, and I'm not at all complaining, just wondering.

I honestly really like that! It gives a whole new experience than when it first opened. Sure all that fog and lights are cool, but no fog and less lights are cool too.
  • Like 3

Can't believe that I am just now joining this group.  Anyway, I was somewhat disappointed when KI announced that Banshee would be an inverted coaster.  I thought a giga would be the right choice to compliment what SOB was trying to accomplish.  Having ridden Banshee multiple times, I change my mind.  I just assumed that the trains would be just iike Raptor and any other B&M inverted coaster that I have ridden.  Pleasantly surprised to see the Gatekeeper restraints, tight but more comfortable overall.

I wonder if there is discussion about doing something with KI's front gate area, similar to what Gatekeeper and now Fury 325 have done.  It would certiainly be a very difficult task to get a track over the front gate and back to where ever the station would be, not much room, unless they unload Invertigo.  It wasn't running both Fridays we were there so far in 2015.

Anyone going to CoasterStock?  I will probably ask the same question in the meetup area.

• Like 4

Can't believe that I am just now joining this group.  Anyway, I was somewhat disappointed when KI announced that Banshee would be an inverted coaster.  I thought a giga would be the right choice to compliment what SOB was trying to accomplish.  Having ridden Banshee multiple times, I change my mind.  I just assumed that the trains would be just iike Raptor and any other B&M inverted coaster that I have ridden.  Pleasantly surprised to see the Gatekeeper restraints, tight but more comfortable overall.

I wonder if there is discussion about doing something with KI's front gate area, similar to what Gatekeeper and now Fury 325 have done.  It would certiainly be a very difficult task to get a track over the front gate and back to where ever the station would be, not much room, unless they unload Invertigo.  It wasn't running both Fridays we were there so far in 2015.

Anyone going to CoasterStock?  I will probably ask the same question in the meetup area.

I can't see them doing that to the front gate. Like you said, there isn't much room.

Welcome to KIC!

• Like 1

And while there has been talk about possibly tearing down the entire current front gate building, or removing the International Restaurant, to allow for a "front gate coaster", I don't see that happening now since they took the effort over the offseason to install an elevator at the International Restaurant entrance. If anything, at this point I think they're more likely to reopen the International Restaurant as a public restaurant than to remove it.

• Like 3

I'd be all for a big of a face lift of the current building though.  Also, a coaster going across the front gate would almost have to go into the backstage area or parking lot, which would be a big eyesore when riding it.  Neither are exactly the prettiest places. 

• Like 2

Agreed.  At this point, I think it'd be more likely to see a modern facelift given to the existing main gate building rather than a full replacement.  While they could build a new structure that also had an elevated restaurant to replace IR, it doesn't really make sense.  They did just put in an elevator to provide access.

That, and what would a new building give them in this case?  Without going into the parking lot or seriously rearranging all main gate buildings, where would a new coaster go?  While that style of renovation made sense and works well at Cedar Point and Carowinds, I just don't see it happening at Kings Island.  So, no coaster that a new building would have to interact with.  While I like shiny new things, a little bit of TLC could probably go a long way here.  Now, if only they would also modernize the inside of IR..

• Like 1