Your Banshee Experience

Gplez90

Can I share a triumphant moment with you today? I went to Kings Island on Saturday, and was able to catch a couple of rides on Banshee (thanks to the amazingly fast lines). At the start of the season, I had literal panic attacks worrying about being able to even fit in the big boy row. It was snug at the start of the season, but the crew wedged me in. Every time I ride, I hate to be “that guy” who has to request the big boy row, but I do it so I know I can ride. I hate having to have my friends be stuck riding certain rows as well. Well, Saturday…I was not at the front of my group…we were walking through the station to the ride, and I realized we were heading to Row 2. I had a moment of fear… BUT I FIT!!! I must say, everything everyone has posted about every seat being a different experience is absolutely true. I have ridden every position in Row 4 and Row 2 is a completely new ballgame! Again, wonderful design and execution of the ride Kings Island!!!!

• Like 15

I rode Banshee this past Sunday. We got to the top of the stairs, and the group in front of us was placed in row 4, so we would logically be placed in row 5. Since I need the big boy seats, we told them we need row 4. The ride op told us that row 5 is now bigger seats as well. Not entirely believing him, I asked the ride op next to the train and he said it was true. Got in 5-3 and fit!

So for us bigger folks, there are now 8 seats per train for us!

• Like 8

I still don't understand why they can't just make all of the seats on the entire train "big boy seats". It can't be because smaller riders would not fit in such seats, because if that were the case, then they would be enforcing a taller height requirement for rows 4 and now 5, which they aren't. So why can't they do that?

• Like 10

I am probably going to get dinged for not citing the source, but I truly cannot recall who told me, that the issue with having longer belts on every seat would create at times too much weight on the coaster and added wear as well if it happened consistently.

• Like 1

Personally, I believe it's mostly psychology that's keeping all the seats from being made "fluffy-friendly". Two rows with longer seatbelts/bigger seats/whatever is a gesture that you can market. Making all the seats more accommodating isn't something that can immediately be proved in the way that having someone sit in row 7 and not fitting, then moving to row 4 and fitting is. If the seats are all made more accommodating, and then people don't fit: "Why don't they make these seats so that bigger people can sit in them? I can't believe I wasted all this money coming into the park [etc.]" If the park is making a pointed gesture of providing more accommodating seats, then it takes some of the blame away from them.

I could entirely be wrong, but that seems like motivation enough to have different seats. I personally wish there was a way of restraining everyone without needing "special seats" (overweight folks and people with disabilities alike), but until someone invents a reasonably affordable way of magnetically holding people into roller coaster trains, I guess that's the world we live in.

• Like 4

I still don't understand why they can't just make all of the seats on the entire train "big boy seats". It can't be because smaller riders would not fit in such seats, because if that were the case, then they would be enforcing a taller height requirement for rows 4 and now 5, which they aren't. So why can't they do that?

I had to sit in a big boy seat on Alpengeist. I felt very uncomfortable. I thought I would fall out of the Ride on multiple occasions.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm going to sound incredibly insensitive, but I don't understand why people would complain about the seats not being bigger. For the vast majority of people, their size/weight is a result of personal choices. Those choices come with consequences, of which not being able to comfortably ride Banshee is one. I have absolutely no issues with that.

I know several on this forum have stated they attempted to lose weight to ride (and were successful) and I applaud them for that. They took the initiative to better themselves so that they could fully enjoy the park. Many others need to do the same.

• Like 6

It has been my experience that the big boy seats are usually rows four or five on most coasters. Generally the center of a train. Maybe it has something to do with weight distribution in some way or that these rows are also usually the least forceful on a coaster...not being pushed or pulled through a course.

I finally was able to get some laps on Banshee since media day and holy cow what a ride! Today was the perfect crowd for getting in many, many laps on Banshee. The longest wait time was 5 minutes. The average length of the line was at the middle of the stairs into the station. I think the front row is the best seat. The zero-g roll actually lifts you out of your seat! I rode with my buddy up front for 4 laps and the view is spectacular. Both roll inversions have a uniqueness to them that is just awesome, especially from the front row. The back row was almost as good as the front. The forces pulling on you as you enter most inversions puts you right into your seat. The positive g's are just fantastic. I have to give KI ,CF, and B&M credit for creating such a great addition to the park. Also kudos to the crew for upping Banshee's capacity they have been kicking butt and taking names. I hope this continues years from now.

• Like 8