Holiday World 2014 Park Map

Holiday World has overhauled their website and added the 2014 park map, http://www.holidayworld.com/park-tickets/park-map/. Something is missing from the upper right corner. Giraffica, formerly Pilgrim's Plunge is no longer on the map. The ride does have a whole page dedicated to it on the newly redesigned site. Is this just a goof on the map, or could it be on its way out? I tried checking the parks webcams, but the don't seem to be working correctly. Does anyone have any more info on this?

• Like 5

I posted a question about it in the HoliWood Nights Facebook group, which despite its name, sometimes ends up as a forum for enthusiasts to discuss all things Holiday World. I also tagged Paula, so we'll see what kind of response she gives.

• Like 2

Wow...so much for Giraffica/Pilgrims Plunge. It was a pretty fun ride, but if it was having issues (along with the whole Shoot-the-Rapids accident) then I can see why it's gone. It never had a line whenever I went to Holiday World either, so low popularity could be another factor.

I'm going to go and assume Shoot-The-Rapids at Cedar Point won't last much longer, either, since it has had many of these same issues. These recent INTAMIN boat rides have had major issues, and along with that their recent coaster installations have also had problems (Maverick needing its heartline roll removed, I305 being too intense and needing modified and then having its cable break, Skyrush's poor reviews due to its restraints, etc). Not only that, but RMC seems to be eating up the wooden coaster department, and if Lightning Run is a success at Kentucky Kingdom, Chance Ride's Hyper GTX model could kill any interest a park would have in a Mega-Lite as they seem much cheaper and could be more reliable, and Mack Rides seems to be doing well building Intamin-Like coasters such as the upcoming Helix @ Liseberg...which leaves Drop Towers as Intamin's only real product anyone might buy, since B&M makes Hyper and Giga coasters and few parks even built INTAMIN's Looping or Inverted coasters in the first place.

I would hate to be INTAMIN right now- they look like they are in MAJOR trouble in the USA.

• Like 8

I enjoyed Pilgrim's Plunge, but there wasn't much to it. I don't want to jump on the new coaster bandwagon, but the hints in that Holiblog post point to something big and fast in its place. Hopefully whatever takes it place will be amazing. It also sounded like the Thanksgiving section is complete and pilgrims plunge replacement will start another holiday section.

Sad news, at least I got a chance to experience it a few times. It also makes me wonder if Shoot the Rapids will be next. See these Intamin rides are CRAP! Sorry but that's just my opinion. How many years was Giraffica/Pilgrims Plunge in operation? I do not recall when it opened, 2006 or 2007?

• Like 2

Sad news, at least I got a chance to experience it a few times. It also makes me wonder if Shoot the Rapids will be next. See these Intamin rides are CRAP! Sorry but that's just my opinion. How many years was Giraffica/Pilgrims Plunge in operation? I do not recall when it opened, 2006 or 2007?

Worse- it's even newer than that- 2009. :wacko:

• Like 6

On an unrelated note, why is it that a small Indiana park can build a fully functional mobile website, but a park with the resources that KI has can't?

Back on topic, I wonder if they're getting a discount on this due to the issues they had with the previous ride. I also wonder how it will compare to the Intamin ship at KI. I know that one opened in the 80s, and a lot has changed since then.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Yeah that ride up the elevator lift was one of a very rides that made me nervous each time. This doesn't seem like a huge loss IMO, it has seemingly been closed more often then not the last few years.

I do think it will be interesting to see what manufacturer is (or perhaps has been?) chosen to tackle the parks first steel coaster. Holiday World is definitely a park I could have seen going with Intamin prior to this.

• Like 1

Holiday World has overhauled their website and added the 2014 park map, http://www.holidayworld.com/park-tickets/park-map/. Something is missing from the upper right corner. Giraffica, formerly Pilgrim's Plunge is no longer on the map. The ride does have a whole page dedicated to it on the newly redesigned site. Is this just a goof on the map, or could it be on its way out? I tried checking the parks webcams, but the don't seem to be working correctly. Does anyone have any more info on this?

So this is where it started at. I saw the news on a few different websites this morning, and I was wondering the origin.

I'm glad it's gone in all honesty. It was billed as the tallest water boat ride, which it was, but it was supposed to be so much greater with a huge splash.. It ended up with a splash much smaller than normal boat rides. The ride didn't look nice either during the serpentine areas.. it was just baron.

It's unfortunate that such a great park bought from a manufacturer that didn't exactly deliver, but at least it won't stand there looking ugly any longer.

:) Good will come out of this based off the hints, I presume.

• Like 2

The one time I've visited HW the ride was running with no wait. We rode it a few times and, like STR, the boats had to be balanced. While the ride was fun, things like that just show that this ride could be improved. I'm disappointed to see it go, but I think in the future a company could do it much better.

You know the thing that makes me saddest about losing this ride is how excited Will was for it opening year. I remember all the trouble he went through to get a part for it to have it up and running for Holiwood Nights and him standing there as I got off it for the first time asking how I enjoyed the new ride...

• Like 7

As awful as those ads are, how many people really visit that park because they see Pat and Co. in the commercials?

As much as I love Pat and the family aspect, I visited the park because the park is great. Pat may no longer be in the ads or on the midways, but how many people besides the few of us on this site are going to stop visiting because of it?

• Like 5

See the post above yours.

And...a small family park that emphasized family and the Koch family suddenly doesn't any more. Holiday World is changing, and quickly. What the effects will be and how quickly remains to be seen.

See also Alabama. Given a recent court opinion, I'm really skittish of predicting the future down there. I know I wouldn't invest a dime in either park, even if you could. FUN and SIX are both far less risky, in my opinion.

• Like 6