Winterfest Returning?

TowerGuy

It is my understanding that the only reason they canceled it in the first place is so that they could prolong the postseason. In doing so, they wouldn`t have the time to set up for Winterfest so they decided to cancel it. I know the park conducted a survey exclusively about bringing Winterfest back a couple months ago. However, the survey also said that they might not ever bring it back. But it also said they might bring it back for 2004. Who knows, we`ll just have to wait and see. Next year this time we`ll know if they thought they should bring it back.

I think it's a real possibility. The Beach does their Winterfest number each year, and maybe PKI has seen them have some success with it. I hope they bring it back. Oh, by the way....I accidentally thought it was 2004 and voted for 2005. Oopsie. Meant to click the first choice. wink.gif

I highly doubt they won't make the Eiffel Tower into a Christmas tree if they bring it back.

Someone said that they prefer Winterfest to Fearfest.. I agree with the exception of the fact that not many rides will be open for Winterfest. I'd like to see them just expand the post-season until early November and reopen for Winterfest in Early December.

I wouldn't be too entirely surprised if Winterfest made an amazing return for 2004, but I assure you that I don't have any inside information, so take that for what it's worth.

On 11/2/04 Jeff Siebert told a group of enthusiasts that the Kings Island season used to end in September because of weather conditions, which gave the park plenty of time to prepare for WinterFest.

Now that the park stays open until the first weekend of November (global warming???) and there is FEARFEST...WinterFest is no longer celebrated.

Can Winter Fest be returned? Maybe, however I doubt it because:

1. It would give the park less than 1 month to prepare.

2. A seasonal labor shortage during a time when students are preparing for final exams.

3. With Holiday Fest at The Beach and celebrations elsewhere (including Santa Claus at MANY malls), it probably wouldn't be profitable enough to justify the expenditures.

But hey, I'm an outside. Maybe the park is planning to bring back WinterFest and has devised a cost effective way to do it.

Have a great weekend!

Italian Chef

biggrin.gif

^We have no reason too.

It would not be hard at all to prepare. You can shuffle staff around alot to do it. Its also easier if all rides do not have to be prepared. You would most likely see the park close in October instead of November. Then 3 weeks later it would reopen in time for Thanksgiving. It would give the park plenty of time to get ready and get staffing done,get the rides there not running started on rehab and decorate. In that time new people can be hired in for shows,ride ops could get a break and then still have extra holiday money. I am sure the park wouldn't open up till well after school is out in the afternoon.

I, for one, hope they decide to bring back Winterfest - with or without many rides...Winterfest was always more about the atmosphere - hot chocolate, ice skating (a.k.a. falling on your butt), the shows, etc...I always liked going...I also think they could pull off FearFest and WinterFest in the same year. Yes, I know it would be a fast transition - a few weeks - but I think it could be done...I'm hoping for Winter 2004!

• 2 weeks later...

Losing Streak,

If you are an employee of PKI, and know of anything that is going to happen, you cannot tell. That emplies also after you are fired/you quit. So unless you wanna get in some serious trouble, keep your trap shut.

According to the rules of seasonal workers, you would have to fire then rehire the workers in about a weeks time. This includes getting new minor permits and background checks. It would be (if they brought it back) a scheduling nightmare.

It can be done. Most of the aesthetic stuff they do for Fearfest is done in about 2 weeks, and they can't do anything over the weekend. If the park is closed for 3 weeks, they can work on it all the time, and have students help on the weekends. It can be done.

I knew FF setup was done fairly quickly during the weekdays. I totally agree...It's just a matter of if they are willing to do this and when they decide to start WF...plus, not all areas of the park have to be used for FearFest, so they could even start making changes during the end of FF. There are definitely other things that would need to be done too - changing the fountain to a rink...planning and rehearsing a show or two...etc. I'm sure they could get people to work...I wouldn't mind working that - I've worked most other things there...need the full experience!