Kings Island 2014 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Okay, I need your guys opinion on this. Me and my dad are going to KI on Easter and we think the crowds will obviously still be very large. We're estimating 2 hours or more on Banshee, Beast, Diamondback, and Flight of Fear all day. This would be the first time and only time all season we would do it. But we're pondering buying Fast Lane Plus. Do you guys think this is a good idea or not? We haven't bought it yet and are probably going to wait until how tomorrow goes at the park. I have mixed feelings about it, I want to buy it but I'll feel guilty about spending $120 for both me and my father. I guess this is just what you adults feel dishing out big bucks for things. Let me know you're thoughts on this!

I would wait until you get to the park and see how things are. Let the park open for like an hour or so, check lines, and go from there. I personally wouldn't expect the park to be overly crowded but it's really hard to know. Plus, you have 5 fewer hours in the park than normal days over the summer, so you'll be forking out a lot of money for less use.

• Like 2

Being in the middle of the mob around 11:15 or so waiting to get in the front gate, it took about 50 minutes for me to get in. I was not happy about that, but I'm not sure what the cause of it was so I'm not mad at the park for it. Me and Diamondbacker rode The Bat twice and DBack once and then decided to head home because of the lines.

Me and Diamondbacker also got 17 rides on Banshee yesterday (Media Day + Scream for a Kid Again).

My last ride of the night:

SAM_0980.jpg

From Left to Right: Me, Malem, Ohio Colts, and Diamondbacker.

• Like 7

I may try to go tomorrow night, but chances are slim at the moment. We'll have to see what happens!

Also, my mom and I cannot make it tonight. She had to work today so she is a bit tired. I hope we can still make it on a normal operating day before my Spring Break ends (namely Saturday night, because we have different, special plans for the lovely Easter Sunday and the park is closed on Monday).

• Like 1

So my wife and I just got back from KI and I thought I'd post a few things about opening day. I'll start with the good things: Banshee is amazing! It was a fabulous ride and definitely worth the wait. Also, all the upgrades they've made throughout the park really look nice. All the new paint and things really add to the look of the park.

Now some of the bad things: The crowds. Just one word: DANG! I've never seen a busier opening day in my life. This was worse than Diamondback's opening day by a mile. Total wait time for my wife and I for Banshee was 4 hours and 5 minutes. One thing that was really bad was the excessive line jumping and line "holding" we witness while we were in line. I kid you not, it happened through the entire 4 hours we were in line, even once we got into the actual queue areas. People were just coming right on in like nothing was wrong. One instance that ticked me off was this one girl came into the queue line and found a friend of hers and asked if it was ok to join her in the line (note that this was 2 and a half hours into our wait) her friend said yes, so the girl turned and motioned for her other friends. About 4 other girls come pushing through the queue to join the group. This happened again about an hour later with 4-5 young teen boys further up in the line. Besides that we saw, no lie, about 20 people or more walk past us from kids to adults, all meeting up with people holding spots and such. Whoever was working the main entrance should be fired.

Next, what was with all the stacking of the Banshee trains? My wife and I never saw more than one train running at a given time. More than 5 times (once we got close enough to see) we saw all three trains stopped at the loading station. For a high capacity coaster, they sure weren't loading quick at all. Who knows how much shorter the wait would have been if not for all the stacking. Also, apparently they're letting you take loose articles on now? We heard them tell several people that they could take their loose articles on, such as the Banshee drink bottles, as long as they held on to them. Hmmm....I thought that what the lockers were for. I saw one lady carrying a book with her. Not sure where she put the book, but she was standing on the stairs just minutes from loading on the ride. It'll be interesting to see what comes of that.

We also got a chance to go through Dinosaurs Alive. Just as I was afraid of, it was rather packed. We saw a bunch of teenagers roaming through the area, some of which were walking up to the dinos and touching them, or messing with their teeth and such. I wonder how long it will be before they return that area to a "pay" attraction if vandalism starts to become a problem.

All in all though it was a great day. There is always something exciting about opening day and waiting in line with the anticipation of riding a new ride. Even though the crowds were large and we had some not so great experiences (ie. the line jumping) it was still a fun day at Kings Island and we both look forward to our next trip!

• Like 14

Our day (me, wife and friend) consisted mainly of waiting 4+ hours for Banshee. We were starved by the time we got off but after seeing the crazy prices at the Chicken Shack and Festhaus, we decided to hit Jimmy John's where we got 2 large subs and a drink for less than one of KI's combos. Might consider that season long dining plan, or may just eat outside of the park this year.

We also hit up Dodgems before leaving and that was it. Will probably be back next Friday for a night ride.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

^ My wife and I waited a little over 4 hours for Banshee too and we were starved and dying of thirst by the time we got off. Does anyone know why KI didn't put in drink or candy machines like they have on other rides? This queue is like 3 times the size of Diamondback's and it has machines. I'm not normally one to spend $4 on a bag of M&M's or $4 for a 20oz drink, but today I might have made an exception.

• Like 3

Busiest I've ever seen the park. 3 hour wait for Banshee, never got a shirt :( that's okay though because I'm just glad I got to ride it!

I really like the addition of FunTV in the queue areas. (In line for Banshee, it got extremely repetitive) However in line for other rides it was a nice touch! Very refreshed feel overall.

Now that was my one weekend visit for the season. No more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

^^You're right, I looked at the wrong username when getting the second one. Meant Voicetek

When we got in line, the end of the line was back at the end of the fountains by the Eiffel Tower. From there until the time we entered the temporary queue, it was only an hour. We were neither thirsty nor hungry at that point. We were unaware of how long the rest of the line was going to be. It wasn't until we got a little ways back that we noticed another 5 miles of queue line still in front of us. We weren't able to go get food or drink then, unless we wanted to leave the line and line jump (which we had seen MANY other people do, but decided that we will not, under any circumstances participate in that type of activity). So we just had to suffer through another 3 hours + without food or drink. We did not prepare, but we were also unaware of how long the queue was since it was our first visit. I did assume, however, that up in the main queue that there would be vending machines since you find them in most other queues. I was wrong, and also a bit surprised. If I had known any of this, I would have bought food and drink to take with me in the line. Oh well. Next time I will know better, but next time I will not be waiting 4 hours + to ride Banshee.

• Like 7

^ My wife and I waited a little over 4 hours for Banshee too and we were starved and dying of thirst by the time we got off. Does anyone know why KI didn't put in drink or candy machines like they have on other rides? This queue is like 3 times the size of Diamondback's and it has machines. I'm not normally one to spend $4 on a bag of M&M's or $4 for a 20oz drink, but today I might have made an exception.

Two employees were passing out free cups of water when we were in line.

Emilee,

It took forever to get out Potato Works, but it's the first day, it takes a little time to get the rhythm of the job. I recall the Red's Grille recieved a lot of complaints the first few days, then it ironed out.

• Like 3

Two employees were passing out free cups of water when we were in line.

Emilee,

It took forever to get out Potato Works, but it's the first day, it takes a little time to get the rhythm of the job. I recall the Red's Grille recieved a lot of complaints the first few days, then it ironed out.

With Potato Works being one of my favorites I gotta agree. I rarely eat in the park because it's cheaper to pack a cooler but I'll give them another go later this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps in the future whenever ride lines are spilling way out into the park they could have drink or snack vendors walk up and down the line selling their goods to people waiting . Much like you would have at a Reds game ! "COLD BEER HERE !"

• Like 8