Kings Island 2014 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Noticed the patios on the south end of the Festhaus added this season, very nice. We also noticed the food lines were pretty long everywhere around 5pm except at the Chicken Shack, I found this odd and then I seen the price! Needless to say we went to DQ and had chicken platters and Blizzards and spent half the money! We planned on eating at the Reds Grille but after sitting 10 to 15 minutes without anyone introducing themselves or taking our drink order we walked out. I noticed they still want 7.99 for my 3 and 5 year old daughters to have their own meals so we wont be eating there when we bring the kids this season, they like having their own pick of food these days, growing up to fast. Funny note: Entering the park I asked the girls scanning my pass if my 3 year old could get in without her pass being processed on her first visit since hers is new since she turned 3. The girls told me any child under 48 inches gets in free and I didn't need to get her a pass, I tried to set them straight but I was apparently wrong ( Not). Needless to say I went straight to their supervisor and he set them straight. My nephew was laughing telling me how much money I would have saved the last few years if those two were always working, even he knew better than that.

• Like 9

And all this time I kept hoping they'd eventually restore that clock to its original glory. I'm sure that wouldn't be cheap (clockwork seems to be a very specialized skill these days, especially with the ever-increasing presence of digital clocks), especially for a clock that size that's been sitting unused for the better part of a decade, but it's still a shame that they chose to remove it instead of fixing it up. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll bring it back at some point, but I don't see that happening now.

• Like 6

We saved Banshee for last. Got in line at 9:45 and were in the gift ship by 10:30.

Didn't get to the park until 6 but the lines for the big coasters were still long. We hit all the smaller coasters and had a great time. Lots of rides down by the time we got there but still a great start to the season. All of the upgrades to Action Zone look amazing. Festhaus food was less than stellar as usual. Must remember to get pizza from International LaRosas not the Festhaus.Caught the begging if The Boys are Back. My daughters loved it but I think nails on a chalkboard sounded better. Back to the park on Sunday!

• Like 2

With Matt Ouimet as CEO, I expect that they are fixing the glockenspiel up, because of what they have been doing at Kings Dominion with the singing mushrooms and floral clock. Completely removing it, destroying the German theming, would be very Dick Kinzel of him.

A "Dick" move indeed. Sorry, I could not help myself.

• Like 14

What's a good crowd estimate for a weekday (Wed. or Thurs.) In early June? I'm hoping pretty light, I'm hoping for at least 2 rides on Banshee without sacrificing the rest of my day. I went on a sunny weekday the week after Memorial Day the year DB opened and the most I waited for it was 30 minutes. I was shocked.

• Like 3

I can understand some of the complaints about bad management of the front gate yesterday, but I've seen some complaints that "I didn't get a free T-shirt even though I waited 5 hours" - the T-shirts ran out at around 3pm yesterday! It was for the first 5,000 people - sorry you weren't one of them! Also, the whole Fast Lane complaints. I don't see what is unfair about them, at all. They are a way of making money, and it's not "unfair". I saw one good comment response to a Fast Lane complaint, and it was something like "it must be unfair for some people to not have a cell phone, or computer, or TV" - I just don't see what's unfair about it. Every amusement park has upgrades to things. Is it unfair if you can't get a suite at a hotel and have to stick with standard rooms and no complimentary breakfast?

I try to go on Tuesdays. Almot every ride is a walk on. I think the only one that wasn't was FoF, and we still only waited 15 minutes

Good to know. I want some all-day time at the park this year, and happen to know that a member of this forum will take good care of my Scottie while I'm riding.

• Like 4

I would be really impressed with Kings Island if they brought back the multicolored drapes that used to hang in the Festhaus. But with the removal of the glock, I doubt the drapes will make a return.

http://KICentral.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=10&pid=3004#top_display_media

So wait the glockenspiel was completely removed? Or just not rehabbed?

I can understand some of the complaints about bad management of the front gate yesterday, but I've seen some complaints that "I didn't get a free T-shirt even though I waited 5 hours" - the T-shirts ran out at around 3pm yesterday! It was for the first 5,000 people - sorry you weren't one of them! Also, the whole Fast Lane complaints. I don't see what is unfair about them, at all. They are a way of making money, and it's not "unfair". I saw one good comment response to a Fast Lane complaint, and it was something like "it must be unfair for some people to not have a cell phone, or computer, or TV" - I just don't see what's unfair about it. Every amusement park has upgrades to things. Is it unfair if you can't get a suite at a hotel and have to stick with standard rooms and no complimentary breakfast?

What was un fair wasn't that they were riding after ten minutes while others waited five hours. It was that they were taking a shirt every time they rode after waiting ten minutes and people were seen carrying arm full of shirts that had Fast Lane. It should be one per person.

• Like 11

I think they shouldn't allow Fast Pass for new rides on opening day, that would be a simple solution to several problems. Along with taking multiple shirts, it seemed like the ride ops would always let the Fast Lane people fill up the trains first, and then go to the regular line. This really slowed it down for everyone else. I got in line at 10 PM last night and there was no more Fast Lane. The line went a lot quicker!!

• Like 5