Kings Island 2014 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Finally got our plans finalized to visit University of Miami, University of Cincinnati, and Kings Island next month! Can't wait!

Are you doing this all in one trip? It'll take a while to get all the way back up here from Florida and your University of Miami visit.

(Miami University, on the other hand, is much closer to UC & KI!) ;)

- Gator, who spent a few years at a certain school in Oxford... and they even gave him a piece of paper to prove it!

• Like 5

We finally visited Kings Island for the first time ever this past weekend! I couldn't believe all the buses! We ended up buying Fast Lane Plus and it was pretty much a few minute wait to walk ons all day! The Beast at night = best night ride on any coaster EVER! Couldn't believe how fast, smooth and out of control it felt! Banshee was incredible! Diamondback stole the show for me! What an amazing coaster! Speed, airtime, smooth, re-rideable! Im sure i upset some people with my mini marathon of walk ons with Fast Lane around 8pm. The line was around 45min+ at that point!

• Like 6

I wish I had realized before I rode "Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown" yesterday just how wet it gets you. Not enough people were riding for me to see someone coming off, and I just assumed it would be like other log rides I've ridden in my life (including Splash Mountain at Disney). I thought I'd maybe get splashed a little, more than the back outside seats of Diamondback, but less than say, the observation deck of Amazon Falls (does it still have the deck now it is Congo Falls?)

When I came to the bottom of that apparently dinky little hill, it was almost exactly as though someone threw a bucket of water in my face. Took 20 minutes sitting on a bench in the sun and two waits/rides on Diamondback till I was mostly dry (around an hour total). It just wasn't warm enough for me to want that yesterday. I'm filing the information away for later in the summer, though. It will come in handy.

Yesterday was my first time ever to ride Delirium as well. It was my first ride of the day, and I went back for another go after riding Banshee, and went back a couple more times as the day went on. I really like the ride, it reminds me a bit of riding the Scrambler as a kid, only very high in the air. It can be a very different ride depending upon which part of the circle you end up in, because it seems like you end up in more or less the same position at the top of the arm's swing each swing for the duration of the ride. So, it's either with you on your back or facing the ground (or somewhere in between). I really liked the facing down ride I experienced, it was more thrilling, but all of them were excellent.

I'm looking forward to when Drop Tower opens, because it will be my first time for that too. I guess it will have some similarities to other rides I've been on, like the Demon Drop.

I'm also intrigued by Flying Ace and Surf Dog, but I'm a little embarrassed to ride them alone at my age. RFYLCB was bad enough.

• Like 3

sy4yzety.jpg

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Image captured from Kings Islands Banshee cam. (Www.visitkingsisland.com/online-fun/webcams)

Am I missing something here? All I see is our beautiful Action Zone and her brand new toy.

The part came for DT! It's testing!!!

• Like 1

Magenta Lizard,

I am in Planet Snoopy a lot with my kids. There is no need for embarrassment when older people ride Surf Dog or Flying Ace. I see adults riding those alone all the time. Surf Dog is a lot of fun but not too intense while Flying Ace kind of hurts the head so stick with one ride unless you have Advil but definitely try it.

Woodstock Express is fun but I admit it feels weird if I didn't ride with my kids but worth it once. Now bribing a kid to ride with you on Great Pumpkin Coaster you have issues.

• Like 5

I wish I had realized before I rode "Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown" yesterday just how wet it gets you. Not enough people were riding for me to see someone coming off, and I just assumed it would be like other log rides I've ridden in my life (including Splash Mountain at Disney). I thought I'd maybe get splashed a little, more than the back outside seats of Diamondback, but less than say, the observation deck of Amazon Falls (does it still have the deck now it is Congo Falls?)

When I came to the bottom of that apparently dinky little hill, it was almost exactly as though someone threw a bucket of water in my face. Took 20 minutes sitting on a bench in the sun and two waits/rides on Diamondback till I was mostly dry (around an hour total). It just wasn't warm enough for me to want that yesterday. I'm filing the information away for later in the summer, though. It will come in handy.

For me it's wildly inconsistent. Sometimes I get soaked, sometimes I feel barely a drop of water. And it all seems to be random. Doesn't matter if I'm in the front or back, or by myself or with a group of large men. The results seem to be random no matter what the circumstances are.

• Like 2

Everytime I ride it, I pretty much never get wet from coming down the hill. I will get some splashes of water on me, but nothing too bad. What does get me wet though is that dad blasted Snoopy shooting water at me. I'll make it through the entire ride almost completely dry, in then I get totally drenched right at the end. Sometimes I kind of wish they'd shut that off. I enjoy the ride itself, but I'm not always in the mood to get soaked.

• Like 4

I think I rode The Beastie (now Woodstock Express unless I'm terribly wrong) enough when I was a young teen I don't think I need to ride it any more. Especially as long as crowds are low enough I am able to walk on or practically walk on the actual Beast over and over. I may ride WE one time just for old time's sake, but I'll admit that is one name change that sort of kills the ride for me.

Thanks for letting me know about Flying Ace. I'll need to hold off on that one until closer to when I want to leave just in case I get a headache from it.

Guest dtk1376

I only really get wet if there is a lot of weight on the log flume. Usually it's just me and my daughter and we hardly get anything (except for squirting Snoopy which was already mentioned), but my mom went up with us once last year and rode it with us and I got absolutely drenched.

• Like 2

I only really get wet if there is a lot of weight on the log flume. Usually it's just me and my daughter and we hardly get anything (except for squirting Snoopy which was already mentioned), but my mom went up with us once last year and rode it with us and I got absolutely drenched.

*resists making a fat joke about your mom*

jcgoble3, being good :)

• Like 3

Guest dtk1376

Haha no fat jokes being thrown your way Magenta, awesome job losing that much weight, it's always easier to put it on than lose it ;) My mom isn't skinny, but probably not fat enough to say it takes her 24 hours to spin around lol

• Like 8

Funny story, Kings Island is the reason my dad lost so much weight. When I was about 7 we went to ride Backlot Stunt Coaster for the first time (then called Italian Job Stunt Track) and he was too big to ride so I had to go by myself which was the first ever time I had gone alone. That inspired him to lose weight and now we ride every ride in the park.

• Like 11

I'm considering KI my "gym" this summer. Even though I lost all that weight, the amount of time I had carried it didn't do my joints much good. So, I've been much thinner but still not exercising as much as I should because I hurt. This summer, I'm working on my health in that way with lots of walking at KI. Just between Monday last week and yesterday, I've already increased my endurance. The first visit, I could only go about four hours before I was too tired and sore. The second visit, I was there about six hours. Yesterday, nine. And I'm barely even sore today (except the tops of my shoulders where my sunblock failed and Vortex bruised).

To change the subject, does anyone know what is going on with what used to be Days of Thunder (in between the two tracks of The Racer at the far end)? From what I could see it looks like there is some signage about dinosaurs, but it definitely hasn't been in service this year yet. I thought maybe it would be later, but while it appears on the current park map, it isn't labeled.

• Like 1

Guest dtk1376

I'm considering KI my "gym" this summer. Even though I lost all that weight, the amount of time I had carried it didn't do my joints much good. So, I've been much thinner but still not exercising as much as I should because I hurt. This summer, I'm working on my health in that way with lots of walking at KI. Just between Monday last week and yesterday, I've already increased my endurance. The first visit, I could only go about four hours before I was too tired and sore. The second visit, I was there about six hours. Yesterday, nine. And I'm barely even sore today (except the tops of my shoulders where my sunblock failed and Vortex bruised).

To change the subject, does anyone know what is going on with what used to be Days of Thunder (in between the two tracks of The Racer at the far end)? From what I could see it looks like there is some signage about dinosaurs, but it definitely hasn't been in service this year yet. I thought maybe it would be later, but while it appears on the current park map, it isn't labeled.

Last year it was part of Dinosaur's Alive as a paid attraction. Pretty much just a movie about the dinosaurs, they don't have the moving chairs anymore which was kinda disappointing. As for this year, I am not sure what they are doing with it.

I'm considering KI my "gym" this summer.

Just remember, the queue rails aren't to be used in a workout routine... :P

"Here at Kings Island, the metal handrails are our friends, and so we ask that you please do not sit, stand, climb or breakdance on the metal handrails."

(That's an actual handrail warning I heard at Flight Deck a few years ago.)

• Like 6

sy4yzety.jpg

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Image captured from Kings Islands Banshee cam. (Www.visitkingsisland.com/online-fun/webcams)

Am I missing something here? All I see is our beautiful Action Zone and her brand new toy.

The part came for DT! It's testing!!!

I was at the park today and did not see DT testing.

There was a crane near DT, and the lift was in the down position all day.

Had a nice mini visit to the park today after work since I work nearby. Was sitting in rush hour traffic and decided I had enough of it, got off at the next exit and turned around for the 10-15 minute drive to the park. When I got to the park, I walked right to the Chicken Shack and put my Dining Plan to good use for dinner, still love the place! After Chicken Shack, I saw the wait for Banshee was just past the stairs so I got it line, had an awesome ride per usual and headed for the park exit. Gotta love having a Gold Pass and a Season Long Dining Plan.

It was a great way to unwind from a long day's work and the traffic had cleared up quite a bit by the time I left. I can see myself making a few after work trips like this over the course of the summer.

• Like 7