Kings Island 2014 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Just give me back my Boo Boo Baggage Claim, Red Barons, the crank train car, and the Ghoster Coaster, and i'll be at peace.

OH and the Jetsons ride!

BB1, a Boomerang

• Like 4

Went to the park today, I got there at 10:00 because the power went out at our vacation bible school because of a car crash nearby. The park wasn't too crowded, it was pretty empty until about 12:30 and it got pretty crowded. We rode Diamondback 10 times in a row and then headed to Banshee. We only waited about 20-30 minutes every time. Banshee was almost completely empty all day. We rode Banshee 8 times. WindSeeker was down all day and so was FoF and Shake Rattle and Roll. We decided to end the day on Congo Falls and we got stuck at the top of the hill for about 5 minutes until they sent us out again. Today was a pretty solid visit.

• Like 1

Guest dtk1376

Had a great trip up there today. Was first time in several years it was me and a friend instead of my daughter so I was able to ride the bigger rides. Rode Diamondback for the first time ever and it is definitely towards the top of my list of rides. Also rode Backlot Stunt Coaster for the first time, it was better than expected. And lastly rode Firehawk for the first time and did not enjoy it, just didn't feel secure to me. Saw Drop Tower break down for a few minutes, I was worried something went wrong with the new part but all was well. Sucked that Flight of Fear, WindSeeker, and Shake Rattle and Roll was closed, WindSeeker is only ride left I haven't done, every time I have the chance to ride it it finds wind.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I think he was just trying to make a joke about all of them being shut down because the parks are closed for the night.

If so, 1) it's not funny in the least, and 2) it's probably wrong because Worlds of Fun, which has a WindSeeker model, was still open at the time of that post because they are on Central Time.

• Like 5

I'm planning to go this Friday and take my nephews - they're first timers! A couple of questions:

Loose articles on Banshee: does this include hats and sunglasses? Those items have to be stored as well or can you wear them on the ride?

Has anyone purchased Fast Lane on a weekday? I'm contemplating upgrading since I'm going on a Friday and it is supposed to be pretty hot. I want them to have a good first experience at the park.

And just a rant: I'm super annoyed with the Kroger stores in the Louisville area. They have been advertising for weeks that they have day passes that include free unlimited soft drinks if you purchase and use before June 30th. They even have promotional freestanding cardboard kiosks that advertise this - but not one store in the area has those passes and they all claim they haven't seen any of them. They only have the regular day passes. So frustrating.

^ Hats and sunglasses should be secured, along with other loose articles, so that you don't lose them during the ride. An eyeglass strap (available from park gift shops) is a popular way to secure sunglasses.

The Louisville Kroger offer is likely valid with the normal admission cards. Printing up a set of cards specific to the free drinks offer would be expensive. Call the park during business hours to ask for details/confirmation: 513-754-5700

You may or may not need Fast Lane on a June Friday. It should be possible to get to all the major rides without it, but having it may improve flexibility if the weather's nice and heavier crowds show up. Wristbands are available for purchase at several locations around the park.

(I assume you mean this Friday, June 20. The following Friday will be during Spirit Song, which attracts very heavy crowds.)

• Like 1

^ Hats and sunglasses should be secured, along with other loose articles, so that you don't lose them during the ride. An eyeglass strap (available from park gift shops) is a popular way to secure sunglasses.

The Louisville Kroger offer is likely valid with the normal admission cards. Printing up a set of cards specific to the free drinks offer would be expensive. Call the park during business hours to ask for details/confirmation: 513-754-5700

You may or may not need Fast Lane on a June Friday. It should be possible to get to all the major rides without it, but having it may improve flexibility if the weather's nice and heavier crowds show up. Wristbands are available for purchase at several locations around the park.

(I assume you mean this Friday, June 20. The following Friday will be during Spirit Song, which attracts very heavy crowds.)

Thanks for the response. I've spoken with two different customer service people at the park and both said that the day passes with free drinks are indeed a special pass and that the free drinks language is printed clearly on the front of them. Bummer.

Actually, I took Wikipedia's word for it (I know I should knott have). I had no way to know it wasn't true, because when I went to KD, theirs wasn't open. Same goes for every time I've been to KI this year.

Huh? This does not say anything resembling that. And that's not because I just fixed it, because if you look at the page history, the article has not been edited in a week (as of this writing).

Last Friday at 6 PM i was actually on WindSeeker about to ascend when it was shut down due to high wind. It tested briefly about 9:30 that night but didn't see anyone on it. Has it been down continusously since then?

Actually, I took Wikipedia's word for it (I know I should knott have). I had no way to know it wasn't true, because when I went to KD, theirs wasn't open. Same goes for every time I've been to KI this year.

elyk disagrees, having ridden WindSeeker many times this season.

The WindSeeker Wikipedia article listed all the installations as "SBNO" for weeks after they reopened, as there was no secondary source to cite for the change in status.

Eventually the inaccurate status was removed completely, since no information is better than bad information.

• Like 5

I was so relieved yesterday that Diamondback's airtime was not affected by the addition of seat belts. I rode twice yesterday (first visit this year) and the airtime was amazing; especially towards the back. The ride does seem a little more intense in the back too. Not a ride you can nap on for sure in my opinion.

• Like 2

Does anyone know what the policy is on usage of non-fenced grassy areas at Kings Island? I thought they used to have "keep off the grass" signs, but I haven't noticed any. But I almost never see anyone even walk through them. I would think if it wasn't prohibited, sometimes people would sit there. The only creatures I've seen using them are Canada geese.

Hi, I don't know if this is the place, but I just wanted to post a bit about my visit on 6/20.

I thought the crowds were rather light. I haven't been in a couple of years, but the lines seemed very manageable. We were able to get through pretty much everything we wanted to do with ease and without waiting in any long lines. The only exceptions being Firehawk and FoF which was still closed.

Banshee was amazing. I think I have a new favorite.

I used to go to KI several times each year, but I've grown up and have responsibilities now and don't live close enough for a quick stop by the park. So I get there maybe once every couple of years. The last couple of times I went Vortex was down. I was excited to ride it on Friday, but I've got one question for everyone... Is it that much rougher now than it used to be or am I just getting old???? I mean, I know I'm older than I used to be, but I rode Vortex and The Beast back to back and The Beast felt like I was riding on a cushion of air after that!

The LaRosa's pizza in the Festhaus did not taste like LaRosa's pizza. I think that might have been the worst pizza I've ever had. I realize it is amusement park food, but when I'm looking forward to some LaRosa's and paying that much money, I expect it to at least be better than a doughy, flavorless piece of cardboard. When we ate dinner at the Reds Grille later in the day and got a much better meal for the same price, that really made me upset about my lunch. Lunch for 4 at Festhaus = $40. Dinner for 4 at Reds Grille = $46, including a beer.

I'm proud to say that my 4 year old son looks like he's going to be my coaster buddy soon. He was only tall enough to ride Woodstock Express, but he loved it. It was a walk on and I think we probably rode it 8 or 10 times. We rode front row, back row and everywhere in between. He's still talking about getting to ride a "big" roller coaster.

All in all, it was a great day, despite the rain shower. It seemed to help cool things down and maybe kept some of the crowds away. We'll definitely make an effort to get back for a day again next year, especially if the kids are tall enough to do more.

• Like 7

I rarely "look forward" to LaRosa's anywhere, but the one in the park is definitely a step back from the chain's outside of the park. They seemingly use the same sauce, and while O'Terpy will disagree, its the best part of LaRosa's in my mind. The crust however is pretty bad, but its far from the worst pizza I've ever had. I'd say its edible, but certainly not great pizza by any standards. I've seen more than 1 pizza I would call inedible. They have a Gluten free pizza that it appears you can buy by the pie, they may actually be an upgrade depending on the crust. I've never had it.

The Reds HOF Grille is an incredible value considering that your inside the park. The food is wonderful as well, regardless of the price.

Vortex is as rough as its always been, its your body that is different. I used to be able to ride Vortex multiple times a trip, now if I ride it, its the last one of the day, it packs too much of a punch for me, despite how much I love it. I'm not sure rough is the right word, its fairly smooth across the track, but defiantly forceful in its elements.

Enjoy watching your 4 year old grow into new rides. Our 5 year old loves everything he's been on at KI and its a blast getting to experience The Beast, Races, and Vortex thru their eyes for the first time. Its defiantly has given me a whole new love for each ride that I couldn't relate to in the past; about 2 more inches to go and hopefully Banshee will be added to the list before the season is out. The best part is that he's transitioned each season into a new set of rides based upon his growth. Woodstock Express, then FAAC a season later, then Congo Falls & WWC early the next season, followed by the 48" coaster around his 5th birthday.... Its fun having different rides to explore each time your visit.

• Like 2