Kings Island 2014 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

I think I've had my best times at the park, ever, this season, because I can do whatever I want whenever I want without having to worry about someone else's desires. If I want to ride Beast seven times in a row, I can. If I want to stick around an extra hour just to watch another set of the Kings Island Five, it's not tiring anyone.

+1. This is why I love going places, not just amusement parks, but anywhere, by myself. The complete freedom to decide what I want to do, and do it when I darn well feel like it. Hell, in 2012 I took a three-week vacation to Florida, hitting a Star Wars convention, Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Discovery Cove, and Disney, all by myself, and that trip was probably the most fun I've ever had in my life.

Don't be afraid to go to the park by yourself. I guarantee you'll have more fun being by yourself that you ever thought possible.

• Like 9

This year is the first time in 15 years I've been able to ride coasters much, because I finally decided to stop waiting for people to go with me. I've been enjoying it immensely. Going alone isn't in any way as bad/sad/scary/lonely/whatever I thought it might be.

My husband and I are practically joined at the hip ordinarily, so it is unusual to spend hours apart. We both work at home for his business, so we spend most of our waking hours (and sleeping hours for that matter) together. So, it was a big step for me to go do this by myself.

But, as I said, my fears were unfounded. I think I've had my best times at the park, ever, this season, because I can do whatever I want whenever I want without having to worry about someone else's desires. If I want to ride Beast seven times in a row, I can. If I want to stick around an extra hour just to watch another set of the Kings Island Five, it's not tiring anyone. I wouldn't want to spend this much time with someone other than my husband (one of the reasons I've not tried too hard in past years to find a coaster-riding buddy), but it's actually been kind of nice to have so much self-directed time.

My situation is very similar to yours! I had a 7 year KI hiatus because my family and friends outgrew KI. I thought I did too so I never really pushed anyone to go with me or even thought to go by myself. Then I went again this past fall and realized I hadn't outgrown it at all and still love the place just as much as ever!

I also work (and obviously live) with my wife, so we are together darn near every moment of every day, so getting some alone time is pretty rare and I've come to appreciate it immensely. Plus like you said, getting to ride whatever you want whenever you want can make for quite a fun day. While I do enjoy spending time at KI those times my wife does decide to go, a trip with her consists of riding the major coasters once each as quickly as possible and then heading for the exit. I like going by myself and picking the seats I want to sit in even if it means a longer wait, riding certain rides more than once, and best of all, riding the flats and water rides that she would never go on with me.

Some 29-year-olds might feel awkward joining a family of 5 to ride WWC with them or going on RFYLCB by themselves, but not this guy!

• Like 5

I know this has been covered in here but a search didn't help me too much and I can't find the info on KI's website, but what rides are open for ERT this year? I'm pretty sure Banshee, The Bat and Delirium were all open 30 minutes early the one time I went early this year, but is anything else?

I know it can only be speculation, but under what weather conditions does Kings Island typically cancel fireworks? Rain, hard rain, lightning, high winds, etc? I haven't stayed long enough to see them shoot at all this year, but I plan to for the Coaster Crew event Monday. With no experience, I wasn't sure how much weather they will put up with for their shoots. I know even consumer stuff can be shot in pretty heavy rain, cuz my husband did that last year for the 4th, down in Kentucky.

Also, weird question, but has anyone here found a good place to take a short nap at the park? I'm probably going to end up taking a late-afternoon nap in my vehicle if I can't find anything better.

They launched fireworks into thunderstorms last week, though extremely few guests stuck around to see them. High winds would preclude the launch, for obvious reasons. I believe that they have cancelled fireworks early in the day if a rainout looks inevitable.

For advice on taking a nap at KI, you should probably ask TTD-120-420. I have never gone to sleep at an amusement park, though I came close once while waiting 30 minutes on the show to start at the Kings Island Theater. Be careful about sleeping at Soak City; you wouldn't want to wake up to a sunburn or stolen belongings.

• Like 5

Also, weird question, but has anyone here found a good place to take a short nap at the park? I'm probably going to end up taking a late-afternoon nap in my vehicle if I can't find anything better.

Try the train. Trust me on that one! Also, the nice shaded tables near the train entrance in Rivertown seem to work well. Really, anywhere with shade, a nice breeze, and a place to rest your head works!

• Like 1

On the talk concerning places to relax in the park, despite the congestion, the seating by the I-Street fountain is surprisingly a pleasant area to relax. I eat at the I-Street LaRosa's quite often just to relax and watch the fountain, plus I like to people watch as well.

The Oktoberfest pond is a close second.

• Like 2

High winds might cancel the fireworks, but they'll almost always go. They can shoot them in the rain, and if they're in the tubes they have to be launched. They closed the park at like 8:00 a few weeks ago but still set off the fireworks they had loaded (4 or 5 of them) at 9:30 or so.

• Like 3