Kings Island 2014 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Requiring a guest with disabilities or a medical condition to self identify to a rushing ride op so as to not be manhandled would be viewed by many, if not most, disability advocates as violative of mainstreaming and of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Guests of all abilities have a right to NOT have restraints SLAMMED into them. Power hour or not. A power hour does NOT give ride attendants the right to batter guests.

Best day ever?

REALLY?

Terp, who is not engaged in the private practice of law in Ohio, the District of Columbia, or any United State. There is no legal advice intended for a particular client contained herein. Consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction if you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. This is a disclaimer.

• Like 5

My daughter and I were at KI yesterday and while we were riding White Water Canyon, my bag was stolen from the storage shelves. Lost my cash, my driver's liceanse, my debit card, our gold passes and my car key, so I was stranded there with no money, no phone (it was locked in my car), and no way home. I just wanted to put it out here that I dealt with 4 different people from Security and they were all wonderful. They sent someone to walk us back to the security office, they took a report, walked us through also filing a report with Lost & Found and through getting our Gold Passes reissued. Then they sent someone to our car to wait with us until someone could come with tools to get my car unlocked so I could get my phone out and call someone to go to my house and get my spare key and bring it to me. I don't have much hope for getting my stuff back, but everyone I dealt with went out of their way to be nice and polite and they repeatedly apologized that it happened. It made me feel better at least.

• Like 11

My daughter and I were at KI yesterday and while we were riding White Water Canyon, my bag was stolen from the storage shelves. Lost my cash, my driver's liceanse, my debit card, our gold passes and my car key, so I was stranded there with no money, no phone (it was locked in my car), and no way home. I just wanted to put it out here that I dealt with 4 different people from Security and they were all wonderful. They sent someone to walk us back to the security office, they took a report, walked us through also filing a report with Lost & Found and through getting our Gold Passes reissued. Then they sent someone to our car to wait with us until someone could come with tools to get my car unlocked so I could get my phone out and call someone to go to my house and get my spare key and bring it to me. I don't have much hope for getting my stuff back, but everyone I dealt with went out of their way to be nice and polite and they repeatedly apologized that it happened. It made me feel better at least.

Stuff like this is why it is just so foolish to not prepare for your trip to the park. I NEVER, EVER, leave anything in storage, and, guess what? I've never had anything stolen. Even when we go to Soak City, I bring by worst flip flops, and the crappiest towels we own. My DL, cash/card stays in my pocket at all times, along with my car keys.

Sorry that you lost your stuff, but, please, learn your lesson. Carry only what fits in your pockets, or, rent a locker. Just too easy for the worst elements in our society to take more "free stuff"...

• Like 4

I want to make sure I'm not making myself sound pampered because I'm a diabetic. Not only should that not happen to me, but it shouldn't happen to anyone. I could have easily told the ride op and pushed it down myself. They were just very insistent.

I do think this is a very important conversation to be had, and I hope a park official sees this and has a discussion with park employees.

• Like 3

Stuff like this is why it is just so foolish to not prepare for your trip to the park. I NEVER, EVER, leave anything in storage, and, guess what? I've never had anything stolen. Even when we go to Soak City, I bring by worst flip flops, and the crappiest towels we own. My DL, cash/card stays in my pocket at all times, along with my car keys.

Sorry that you lost your stuff, but, please, learn your lesson. Carry only what fits in your pockets, or, rent a locker. Just too easy for the worst elements in our society to take more "free stuff"...

For the record, I am completely paranoid about things falling out of my pockets which is why I leave my phone in the car and why I specifically bought a small wrist purse just big enough for money and keys so I can keep it on my wrist even when riding. The one and only time it came off my body yesterday was on WWC and I did so because I didn't want my key to get wet. I agree that was bad judgement on my part and I'm not asking for anyone to feel bad for me. The whole point of my post was to say something POSITIVE about the people who helped me. I was just trying to say something nice.... I don't need a lecture. Thanks though.

• Like 7

And this is yet another reason the park would be a better place with no bins. Thefts can and do occur. Every year, we get one or more posts like this.

Bins, sadly, are easily accessible. And the park has no way of knowing whose stuff is whose.

Several years back, in Pennsylvania, a local court decided the park WAS responsible for losses from bins. The bins there quickly disappeared. The park appealed, but I don't know how that ended. And I haven't been to Dorney Park for a few years now, so I have no idea if they returned.

• Like 4

Today was a list of firsts for me, I saw high school kids unable to understand the word "FastLane" and not understand why they were being turned away due to not having bracelets, saw another group of kids not understand Fastlane, and decided to break into the line upon coming halfway back from being turned away.
Two security guards stopped people smoking in line.

As we were leaving, we were at a full stop at the end of the parking lane. A pair of couples walked in front.
The two men accused us of of trying to hit them, and that they were going to beat us senseless for laughing about it.
We were stopped, and we weren't laughing, I just couldn't believe they were real in their intentions.
They positioned themselves badly, for we drove right by them as they continued their threats.
I feel bad for the girls that were with them- the women were stuck with that anger as we puttered away.
I know security can't be all places at all times, and I hope these jokers didn't pull this stunt with a family, but perhaps better lighting and/or clearly marked cameras in the parking lot might be a good idea.

With this, I have the question, "What kind of person would try to start a fight in the parking lot after a great day at the park?"

• Like 8

I am so sorry happened. It's a bear to replace the stolen cards, I know.

The Security are truly sympathetic, aren't they? I might recommend getting back to the park, even if it's just a few hours, to get over the shakes of being robbed. It sounds strange but helps.

• Like 2

I've yet to ride Dimondback due to my fear of heights but have wanted to because it looks cool. I was wandering if y'all could share your experience with me so I can get over the hump so to speak

It is high- I'm afraid of heights myself, so I understand where you are coming from. The best way for me to get past that is to remember the maintenance crew has gone over this ride superbly, or else, you wouldn't be on it. Look at all the people getting off of the ride. They survived, as an army of people on days, months, years before them.

As you look down the first hill, notice that it's not a huge long dive, it's steep but it's short. Your train is going to hug that track. You are safe. It's a B&M, and again, it wouldn't be running if it weren't safe.

There's an extra handhold on the side of the seats, if the air time frightens you, grab on.

Try to get one of the rows where the seats are closer to each other. I tossed my niece on DB before she could think, and it helped her to have an arm to grab onto during the ride.

The actual seat is designed to look and feel as if you are only on by the seat of your pants, but there are many measures in the design to keep you on the ride.

That's how I get through riding DB.

(Magenta Lizard, I thought the same thing- he could have lost at a lot of games, or something like that, and stewed on it all night, souring the rest of his visit.

I've seen people in the park get testy over smaller things, but these are the same people that are going to throw a sandwich back at the clerk in Subway for putting the mustard on before the mayonnaise. Yes, that really happened.)

• Like 1

And this is yet another reason the park would be a better place with no bins. Thefts can and do occur. Every year, we get one or more posts like this.

Bins, sadly, are easily accessible. And the park has no way of knowing whose stuff is whose.

Several years back, in Pennsylvania, a local court decided the park WAS responsible for losses from bins. The bins there quickly disappeared. The park appealed, but I don't know how that ended. And I haven't been to Dorney Park for a few years now, so I have no idea if they returned.

I know of another park in West Mifflin that definitely DOES have bins for some (if not all) of their coasters (though I only remember for certain that they were present on Racer), so if such a thing was a state law, then it is either repealed, or there are parks that are actually willing to assume responsibility for loose items.

EDIT: Just noticed that you said "local" court. Carry on. Though I will add one thing that always intrigued me, and that is how despite this park having no gates on any of their coasters (except perhaps Sky Rocket? I don't remember if it did or not), I cannot find evidence that this has ever caused an issue. Not really relevant to the conversation, but I do find it to be interesting.

• Like 1

Guest dtk1376

The only things I have ever used the bins for is sandals when I was younger on the rides with no bottom, mostly Drop Tower & Delirium (feet can't handle sandals in the park anymore). I do use them every now and then with the souvenir cup, yes, I am one of THOSE people, don't tread on my cup! :) But anyways, as others have said, valuables are good to stay on hand, even if you have to leave those valuables in the car. Best investment I ever made was a pair of shorts with zipper pockets.

• Like 2

The Security are truly sympathetic, aren't they? I might recommend getting back to the park, even if it's just a few hours, to get over the shakes of being robbed. It sounds strange but helps.

Thanks... Security actually looked up my banks phone # and let me call them while we were filling out the report so I could cancel the card and see if anyone tried using it in the park. Thankfully no charges were made and my new card will be here in in 2 days, so it wasn't too much of an ordeal. We actually went back into the park after I got my phone and rode a few rides while waiting on my spare key to show up.

• Like 5

Thanks... Security actually looked up my banks phone # and let me call them while we were filling out the report so I could cancel the card and see if anyone tried using it in the park. Thankfully no charges were made and my new card will be here in in 2 days, so it wasn't too much of an ordeal. We actually went back into the park after I got my phone and rode a few rides while waiting on my spare key to show up.

Super! I was told they do go through the trash, too. Justin case your bag was hurriedly dumped.

Getting back onto some rides helped me remember that even though it happens at the park, the park didn't do this, some unsympathetic, greedy person did. The park did does all they can to help.

• Like 4

I haven't seen this mentioned yet(if it was please ignore)

Just an FYI . Received an email a day or two ago from Kings Island with a one ride(one time only) front of the line voucher for Banshee or any other ride of your choice if you haven't used your season pass in over 30 days. Valid till July 20th. Must present printed email, and season pass in good standing.

The email looked like one of their newsletters, and was in my junk folder.

• Like 2

I got that e-mail even though I have been using my platinum pass somewhat regularly this season. Going by the conditions listed it would be impossible for me ever to use it, since it will expire before 30 days could elapse from my last visit to KI. Or even from my second-to-last visit.

It's a neat idea to engage passholders who aren't visiting much, but they either have the conditions wrong or are sending it to the wrong people.