Kings Island 2014 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

I don't have a clue why they would have that set up today of all days. I had to completely empty my pockets and stand there while they ran a metal detector wand over me. Why?

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

Safety, that's why

Be happy that's all you have had to do..Some areas that require a higher security clearance, much more scrutiniing than you think.

But...why here, today? The whole thing looked bad, like a prison. Bad JuJu.

Was a bit upsetting, to be frank.

• Like 2

This is entirely my personal speculation.

There have been a rash of anonymous threats made at various local schools in the Miami Valley area. It's gotten a fair amount of media coverage, which is probably contributing to extending the rash ("aw, man, that school got to go home early? I wanna go home too!")

I wouldn't be surprised if this is in some way related to that, either directly (someone thought it would be funny or keep crowds down) or indirectly (the powers that be saw the media coverage and decided safer was better than sorry).

• Like 2

As far as Planet Snoopy goes - of I fits I sits. Kids or not. A group of adults rode Surf Dog without any children last night. We took over Woodstock Express and rode Flying Ace Aerial Chase with two teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Guest dtk1376

Extra security is never a bad thing, IMO. I don't mind the very minor inconvenience.

That mentality is why we are slowly losing our freedom.

Let's not turn this into a political debate :)

I'm sure there's a good reason for them to be there, speculation is all we can really do unless someone from KI actually releases the reason why.

• Like 1

Extra security is never a bad thing, IMO. I don't mind the very minor inconvenience.

Plus you never know, maybe they recieved a tip, maybe something is going on and they'd like higher security, maybe it's a random measure to keep people with prying eyes with intentions from going forward, etc. All you're being asked to do is go through a metal detector, empty pockets, and get a metal wand if you need a tad bit more scrutiny the walk through doesn't get, etc.

That mentality is why we are slowly losing our freedom.

Really? You're being asked again to just empty pockets and go through a metal detector just as a preventative measure and to help security better do their job. Try coming onto a military installation or living on one, or have a security clearance. Then you can come talk to me. Ignorant comment mate, ignorant comment.

• Like 7

Maybe it's simply a deterrent. Random ones are far more convenient than every time. Occasional random ones keep down issues even if there is no threat today.

If there was / is a viable threat and nothing was done, what kind of inconvenience would it be if something happened? What would people say if someone did something and hurt or killed someone or a group of people? It's the day and age we live in.

• Like 2

Really? You're being asked again to just empty pockets and go through a metal detector just as a preventative measure and to help security better do their job. Try coming onto a military installation or living on one, or have a security clearance. Then you can come talk to me. Ignorant comment mate, ignorant comment.

I have been on two bases before and I have more trouble trying to get into an airport.

I was in Planet Snoopy yesterday with my younger cousin, and was surprised when "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" (a religious American spiritual) started playing over the loud speakers. Anybody else find it odd that such a song would be playing in the park?

We heard it. I won't say who we stepped away from when they started singing it - fearing lightening striking the individual.

I think incorporating various things are a good thing. I would rather hear that than Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus.

• Like 6

Guest dtk1376

I was in Planet Snoopy yesterday with my younger cousin, and was surprised when "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" (a religious American spiritual) started playing over the loud speakers. Anybody else find it odd that such a song would be playing in the park?

I thought I had heard that last year as well, not sure. Maybe they are playing it because it's quite popular in WWE right now, KI is just "following the buzzards". (if there is any wrestling fans on here they'll get it lol)

• Like 1

So on a military base when you have to drive through a checkpoint in a broken area of barbed wire and barrier gaps, surrender an ID, posess no weapons other than possibly a small credit card sized knife, have active barriers, armed personnel with multiple high powered weapons, can be searched at a moments notice and detained without any warning is easier than an airport?

At an airport all I do is walk in, show an ID and a ticket, take shoes off, walk through a metal detector and get my bags searched, after that I've never been bugged, sure theres security walking around but nothing like a military base

Like I said completely ignorant comment

• Like 3

I thought I had heard that last year as well, not sure. Maybe they are playing it because it's quite popular in WWE right now, KI is just "following the buzzards". (if there is any wrestling fans on here they'll get it lol)

I love the Wyatt family on WWE! They are certainly different!

• Like 1

They are probably just training on a "light day". They may be in use this weekend as the place will probably be packed given the holiday weekend, free military, and nice weather forecasted, or maybe not.

I never have anything to hide, so I cannot tell you when it was last used and when it wasn't (although I bet some folks on here can name specific dates it was in use!).

I love the Wyatt family on WWE! They are certainly different!
I follow the buzzards.

I was less surprised at that than at the kids' version of Michael W. Smith's "Friends" that I heard yesterday. Of course, this is the same park that also plays a kids' rendition of "Maniac" from the movie Flashdance, which is far from family friendly (the movie, not the song).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It is about "customer relations". The young man that have me my BCS at 9:15 this morning was somewhat less than cordial about it. Seeing that, I did not do or say what was ion my mind, not wanting to get beaten. That is how it felt, very in your face.

Not cool at all. When this becomes accepted in the US, to me, it speaks volumes of how far we have fallen. Made me mad, made me sad.

• Like 1