Kings Island 2014 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Fireworks at the park right now...didn't realize they would do that on a Monday night before summer really starts. I can't imagine anybody being there watching them - of course, there's some, but I find it kind of strange. Do they do this every Memorial Day?

• Like 1

Guest FersureShelbi

I think he's jelly.

I agree with homestar92 , the makers are definitely jelly.

What does that mean? :wacko:

Jelly = Jealous. Unless I am wrong.

Ooops! Didn't realize someone had already responded.

Edited by FersureShelbi
  • Like 1

A couple of observations from our 1st trip this year (I'm sure some, if not all of this has been covered, but I haven't read thru this thread, nor will I at this point...)

The walk back to Banshee along the path that takes you past the KI Theater may now be the prettiest part of the entire park. The paint job on the supports of Delerium match in so well, and the amount of canopy in the short walkway really makes them "pop". Considering that this is likely the route many will take when they 1st enter KI this season (to get on Banshee from the start presumably) it is really going to make a wonder 1st impression on people that have never visited KI or haven't in a long time, or at least for those that choose to start their day in Action Zone and take that particular route. It all just comes together wonderfully.

The patio area at the back of the Festhaus was certainly a nice touch. I think it gives the back enterance a cleaner look and helps re-enforce the charm of that particular path. Speaking of the Festhaus the chicken Fingers and even Burgers looked enjoyable. We had the pizza as part of the season long plan, but in the past, I wouldn't have even considered those choices. Could be the difference b/w when we typically eat (middle of the week, later in the evening vs yesterday at noon during the lunch rush) or it could be an improvement to the food; if its the later, job well done by the chef they brought in over the offseason (or was it last offseason) to improve the quality of the food across the park. We had the pizza, so I can't comment on the taste, but it certainly looked edible which is far more than I could have said in seasons past.

I realized I'm raising "one of those people". While in line for Woodstock express, a grandmother was behind us telling her grandchildren about the rides and the park when she had taken their mother (or father) however many years ago. She proceeded to ask me if they still had The Beastie, I informed her that this was actually the same ride it had just changed names (and I guess removed the tunnel) since her last visit. My 5 year old then proceeds to tell her that it was originally called the Scoobie Doo and was there when the park was built, along w/ The Racer and other park trivia she didn't ask about. Cute at 5, annoying at some older age.

Park was packed, we had to park out in BFE, furtherst I've ever parked, so we avoided taking the 5 year old on any bigger rides and instead stayed in Planet Snoopy most of the day so he could ride some of the smaller things with his 2 year old sister. Aside from Boo Blasters, the wait time wasn't too bad for anything over there. Actually had to wait a cycle for a train car the station was so crowded, but got to experience the train (engine included) move backwards. Only about 5-10 feet, but got me to thinking it could make for an interesting experience to have the engine push the cars the the track backwards for a day. Don't know if if could make it up the grade pushing the cars vs pulling it or not, perhaps just in those early season days b/w the water park opens and it runs limited cars. Could help boost attendance on those days.

• Like 8

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but when I rode Adventure Express this evening, I noticed that the "Now you will pay" audio is back on in the last tunnel. :D

It was not when I rode it yesterday morning :(

I showed up for ERT and got through Banshee, The Bat, AE, Racer, Vortex, Beast, DB, a walk through DA, and finally lunch at LaRosa's all by 1:00. Then it got crowded FAST. I rode RFYLCB, WWC and KI&MVR, walked around for a bit to dry off before leaving at 2:30, but the crowds were picking up big-time at that point.

Also, not sure if anyone has made it there yet, but the Wurlitzer at the Grand Carousel sounds awesome! I just wish it was a little louder and/or the speaker near ET was turned down a bit so I could hear it beyond just a few feet from the ride. But I was glad I made the walk over there.

Also, not sure if anyone has made it there yet, but the Wurlitzer at the Grand Carousel sounds awesome! I just wish it was a little louder and/or the speaker near ET was turned down a bit so I could hear it beyond just a few feet from the ride. But I was glad I made the walk over there.

The organ was back at the carousel and was operating? (i.e. it wasn't a recording?)

The organ was removed from the ride last season, and the park teased a video of it testing over the winter. It wasn't at the ride as of last Tuesday.

The actual organ should be loud enough to hear well beyond a few feet.

• Like 2

May I suggest you spend the weekend talking to your gma. Have her tell you stories. A cancer diagnosis can be frightening. One day she won't be here as you will be beyond upset you chose a park over a family member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I actually realized that I should this moments after the original post.

• Like 6

I took everyone's advice and tried the fudge push pops today. I was just going to get a blue ice cream one for myself, but when they told me it was buy two get one free, I picked out a couple more to bring home to my husband.

Unfortunately, I stopped in just as I was returning to the park from having taken a "storm break" trip to my car. So I had three push pops, and didn't really want to trek back to the car.

Since I took another bit of advice and bought myself some men's cargo shorts, I had plenty of pocket room. It was actually working out pretty well, until I rode Banshee. I think she's the one that popped off one of my lids and smeared fudge in my pocket. Gave me an excuse to try the flavor I bought my husband, though. It was the ice cream sundae, and like the blue ice cream fudge, it is excellent! I'm definitely going to be buying more as the summer goes on.

• Like 5

Actually had to wait a cycle for a train car the station was so crowded, but got to experience the train (engine included) move backwards. Only about 5-10 feet, but got me to thinking it could make for an interesting experience to have the engine push the cars the the track backwards for a day. Don't know if if could make it up the grade pushing the cars vs pulling it or not, perhaps just in those early season days b/w the water park opens and it runs limited cars. Could help boost attendance on those days.

From what I've heard, the train does not need a capacity boost. My family, and I rode the train Monday, and we talked to one of the ride ops at the end of the night. He told us that over 20 thousand people had ridden it that day, and that they are always one of the few rides that gets over a million riders a year.

Actually had to wait a cycle for a train car the station was so crowded, but got to experience the train (engine included) move backwards. Only about 5-10 feet, but got me to thinking it could make for an interesting experience to have the engine push the cars the the track backwards for a day. Don't know if if could make it up the grade pushing the cars vs pulling it or not, perhaps just in those early season days b/w the water park opens and it runs limited cars. Could help boost attendance on those days.

From what I've heard, the train does not need a capacity boost. My family, and I rode the train Monday, and we talked to one of the ride ops at the end of the night. He told us that over 20 thousand people had ridden it that day, and that they are always one of the few rides that gets over a million riders a year.

As the spiel goes, its the 2nd most ridden attraction at KI behind The Racers.

I guess I'm not neccessarily thinking about a boost in ridership, just an opportunity to give riders a different perspective on a ride around the track. It wouldn't change all that much from a normal experience though; don't even know if its feesible, just popped into my head for my brief trip backwards on the Train.

• Like 1

I'm willing to bet that the person who made that video is a resident of northern Illinois, and not a fan of B&M.

And he should be advised that Cedar Point is a registered trademark, and, as such, is always capitalized. There are also many words not spelled correctly, poor grammar, and, my favorite, the title cards with Insert Title Here.

Ok a few quick thoughts on that. 1.Its not rough. 2. Im pretty sure its been tested a million times to make its safe. 3. the "long line" was from opening day. 4.Thanks Obama? Really?

I just watched the video. I cannot believe what I just saw. Using a construction photo to claim it has no catwalks, other blatant falsehoods, I mean, what was this guy high on?

In all actuality, I think he's jelly.

You do all realize that the video is satire and should not be taken seriously whatsoever? And if any of you are the least bit miffed by it, then you're the foaming fanboys that the video creator is mocking.

• Like 3

Yes that's true I believe it was the pad from Flight Commander.... they did have picnic tables set up. It was a nice bonus of being in the park. I was told that the plan was to do it either every week or every other week, the employee didn't know for sure. My son and I munched on our free doughnut and drank our free juice while The Racer ran next to us.

Only suggestion would be to put some umbrellas up over the tables, would make it easier to not bake in the sun.

Not sure why anyone can be upset with some free food... However there was no limit, so some people stocked up on doughnuts and juices so it ran out a few times and people had to wait.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

• Like 5