Kings Island 2014 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

The park closed tonight at 8:15. Not sure that was said on here. This rain is flooding everything!

I guess keeping everyone on hand to operate a dead park for ~30 minutes after the storms passed through wasn't worth the expense. I'm glad I wasn't there.

Had it operated, that would have been a great 30 minutes, though.

Plus when scanning, they aren't really scanning..Look up Visual Scan on Youtube..just delays dispatch for nothing and employees don't take it seriously post accident

I saw the Visual Scan live at New Jersey's Finest Theme Park.

Morey's Pier?

Biased BB1.

• Like 1

I was there with an old school friend and we actually managed to ride Monster in the thunder and lightning and Flight of Fear before having to leave. I was soaked but we got in 3 on Banshee, one on Diamondback, one on Vortex, and one on The Bat as the rain started so overall a fun evening.

• Like 3

The seat belts aren't the issue. When I last went, the crews checked everything quickly like they should, but then stood around doing nothing. It felt like the guy in the drive box was waiting for the trains to stack before dispatching.

I partially agree with the last two sentences but disagree with the first.

Have you noticed how the Diamondback ride attendants are taking personal belongings from guests next in line to board all the time now? In past years they were only doing that during "power hours" but it's an every time deal now. This is done solely to try and make up time in two areas - to have the guests sit down in the trains more quickly and to compensate for the time it takes to find, fasten, and adjust the seat belt. The seat belts were installed in a position that was poorly thought out, and that has also added to the load times.

Let's say that the seat belts add on 9 seconds on to each cycle (2-3 seconds delay while the on train rider unfastens their belt, 4-5 second delay to fasten the belt, and 2 additional seconds for the ride attendant to check belts) and assume 90 second dispatches pre-seat belt. Pre-seat belt you were sending out 40 trains an hour. Post-seat belt you're now sending out 36.4 trains, a difference of almost 4 trains or 116 people less per hour just due to this one change. There have probably been some minor time savings with the attendants taking some guests items to bins, but guests are still going to the bins to drop items off which negates some of those time savings.

I've timed the dispatches while at the park for years. During my visits a decent crew in past years averaged about 95 seconds per dispatch (a rate of 1210 pph). Crews this year have been averaging about 110 seconds per dispatch (a rate of about 1050 pph). The Diamondback line takes longer to get through this year than it has in the past. I don't think that it's coincidence that the seat belts and longer wait times appeared at the same time. The crew can only do so much because they're almost 10 seconds behind the 8 ball before they start.

Meanwhile, Banshee has typically had one of the shortest waits of any popular coaster in the park. Banshee is probably moving three to four hundred more people an hour than Diamondback right now. I still really like Diamondback - even more than Banshee - but when confronted with a 35-40 minute line at Diamondback or a 10-15 minute line at Banshee which am I going to choose?

• Like 4

Correlation does not mean causation... Just because B happened does not mean its caused by A.

Let's say that the seat belts add on 9 seconds on to each cycle (2-3 seconds delay while the on train rider unfastens their belt, 4-5 second delay to fasten the belt, and 2 additional seconds for the ride attendant to check belts) and assume 90 second dispatches pre-seat belt. Pre-seat belt you were sending out 40 trains an hour. Post-seat belt you're now sending out 36.4 trains, a difference of almost 4 trains or 116 people less per hour just due to this one change. There have probably been some minor time savings with the attendants taking some guests items to bins, but guests are still going to the bins to drop items off which negates some of those time savings.

I've timed the dispatches while at the park for years. During my visits a decent crew in past years averaged about 95 seconds per dispatch (a rate of 1210 pph). Crews this year have been averaging about 110 seconds per dispatch (a rate of about 1050 pph). The Diamondback line takes longer to get through this year than it has in the past. I don't think that it's coincidence that the seat belts and longer wait times appeared at the same time. The crew can only do so much because they're almost 10 seconds behind the 8 ball before they start.

Meanwhile, Banshee has typically had one of the shortest waits of any popular coaster in the park. Banshee is probably moving three to four hundred more people an hour than Diamondback right now. I still really like Diamondback - even more than Banshee - but when confronted with a 35-40 minute line at Diamondback or a 10-15 minute line at Banshee which am I going to chose?

Numbers dont match.

Secondly taking your guestimate "average" of 9 seconds per train and your average of 36 trains per hour you are looking at a grand total of 324 seconds or an additional 5 minutes per hour, or on total of a 10 hour day, just about 50 minutes added to the whole day. If your average DB ride time is 3 minutes, that means about 16 less trains are being dispatched every ten hours or roughly 2 (1.6) trains per hour....

Banshee is listed as a 2:40 ride while DB is a 3 minute ride, Banshee also moves (supposedly) 30 more people per hour.... I would guess those are in ideal situations. I have not timed a Banshee roll in and roll out but I would guess its about half the time as DB and Banshee has seat belts....

Lets say it again....

Correlation does not mean causation!!!

The math you're using isn't quite accurate.

At 90 second dispatch intervals you move 1280 people per hour (pph) if the train is full (32 people x 3600 seconds/hour divided by 90 seconds).

At 95 second dispatches you move 1212 pph.

At 110 seconds you move 1047 pph.

Notice that the capacity calculations have nothing to do with how many trains you're running or how long the ride time is. If the ride had 10 trains available but still only dispatched at 95 second intervals the capacity doesn't change. The only thing that matters is how frequently are you dispatching trains and how many people you can fit on each train. The 165 pph difference between 95-second and 110-second dispatches is 489 total seconds or just over 8 minutes an hour (165 pph divided by 32 people per train multipled by 95 seconds/dispatch).

The dispatch times ARE longer this year at Diamondback and ultimately that's the bottom line. I'm much more interested in how we can get the dispatch times down vs. why it's happening. Ultimately though you have to figure out why it's happening in order to effect changes. If the addition of the seat belts isn't the reason then what is it?

• Like 3

The math you're using isn't quite accurate.

At 90 second dispatch intervals you move 1280 people per hour (pph) if the train is full (32 people x 3600 seconds/hour divided by 90 seconds).

At 95 second dispatches you move 1212 pph.

At 110 seconds you move 1047 pph.

Notice that the capacity calculations have nothing to do with how many trains you're running or how long the ride time is. If the ride had 10 trains available but still only dispatched at 95 second intervals the capacity doesn't change. The only thing that matters is how frequently are you dispatching trains and how many people you can fit on each train. The 165 pph difference between 95-second and 110-second dispatches is 489 total seconds or just over 8 minutes an hour (165 pph divided by 32 people per train multipled by 95 seconds/dispatch).

The dispatch times ARE longer this year at Diamondback and ultimately that's the bottom line. I'm much more interested in how we can get the dispatch times down vs. why it's happening. Ultimately though you have to figure out why it's happening in order to effect changes. If the addition of the seat belts isn't the reason then what is it?

I actually used your numbers and used "wait time" versus capacity. This time we will use your numbers of 110 (current) -95 (ideal?) gives us about a 15 second difference. Still using your 36 trains per hour that you mentioned above, you are adding about 540 seconds or 9 minutes on to your hourly wait. So if seat belts honestly were slowing things down we are talking about, on average 9 minutes/hour, or roughly 1/6th of an hour. Spreading this out through a 10 hour day, you are looking at a total time difference of 90 minutes. Sooo again 90 minutes extra per day divided by an average of 3 mins (again the supposed time of a DB train) you are looking at now 30 less trains per day, or 3 less trains per hour.

Again not talking Dispatch times. Talking the suppose wait being added by seat belts would be 9 mins / hour. A 30 minute wait would not be 34:30, a 60 minute wait would not be 69 minutes. Thats if you are talking only about seat belts....

As some on here have stated, they feel that their time has increased by double or triple.

So I am to suggest this. Either capacity has been effected minimally and it only feels like a longer wait, so it is nothing more than your mind playing games on you.

Or there are other factors to it than the seat belt game. It could be some of the following reasons:

Bins

Staffing

Fast Lane

Etc....

As some on here have stated, they feel that their time has increased by double or triple.

They may be right - if their average wait was only one or two minutes before :) I get your point though, it's not quite that dramatic.

So I am to suggest this. Either capacity has been effected minimally and it only feels like a longer wait, so it is nothing more than your mind playing games on you.

The stopwatch on my phone isn't lying. I've timed the dispatches on most of my visits there and on average they are 15 seconds slower this year than they have been in the past. The one area I will agree with you here is that while it does feel like you're waiting a lot longer the numbers aren't that dramatic over a short duration. However, I'd much rather wait 25 minutes than 30. If I ride 12 times in a season that's an extra hour I can do other things with other than waiting in line. I do consider that significant.

Or there are other factors to it than the seat belt game. It could be some of the following reasons:

Bins

Staffing

Fast Lane

Etc....

The bins have always been there since the ride opened. Fast Lane has been around for a couple of years now and even then the presence of Fast Lane alone doesn't affect dispatch intervals. The only thing I'm aware of that's really changed from last year to this year is the staff and the seat belts so it has to come from one of those two things.

• Like 4

Banshee draws more people to the park. More people in park with same or less Diamondback capacity means longer lines for Diamondback, too. If x people rode on a given day last year and this year 1.2x try to, the lines will be typically longer and it will take longer.

Ah, but the presence of Banshee introduces another variable that must be accounted for! Let's say that on some arbitrary day, Banshee brings in 1,000 people to the park. Lets also say that at any given time during this day, there are 1,000 people waiting for Banshee. Suddenly the net effect for all other rides is zero. Or, another situation, let's say only 500 extra people come who would not have otherwise, strictly because of Banshee, but the same 1,000 people are in line for it. Suddenly, there are now 500 LESS people spread out among the lines for everything in the park. This can also be applied if Banshee brings in, say, 1,000 people, but only 500 are in line for it at any time. Now Banshee is adding to the overall crowds throughout the park.

The addition of a new ride can have any number of effects on wait times, and they don't always get longer. This year on opening day, I saw some of the shortest lines I'd ever heard of on an opening day. I did not ride Banshee until late in the evening. That line, I've heard, was obnoxious almost immediately. Meanwhile,I thoroughly enjoyed walking right onto Flight of Fear and Firehawk, something that in past years was a rarity on opening day.

• Like 3

^ A large percentage of those additional 1,000 people would be experiencing both Diamondback and Banshee, along with other signature attractions. Wait times would be expected to increase with additional crowds.

Adding capacity to the park will decrease wait times at each attraction, but I would expect this effect to be less noticeable than the first. Real guests don't act like "Roller Coaster Tycoon" guests. A very small percentage of the current attendance is at Banshee at any one moment in time.

This year on opening day, I saw some of the shortest lines I'd ever heard of on an opening day.

Were we at the same amusement park? :)

• Like 4

Got to the park at almost 8:45, rode Banshee 3 times in a row with little to no wait! 1 word: AMAZING. Rode the back (incredible airtime on the first drop) and the front twice. It's so cool at night and just in the front in general. Then rode Diamondback in the back Missed The Beast by 2 minutes so that will wait until tomorrow. This was an awesome, last minute park visit! Can't wait for tomorrow!

• Like 11

1. Rode Banshee 9 times between last night and today. I love it. Way better than I expected.

2. Ohiocolts, were you at the park today? I know we've never met but I've seens pictures of you on here andI swear I saw you. Were you wearing a purple Coasting For Kids shirt? If that was you, then around 3 pm you walked right next to my parents and I eating under the shaded area in Action Zone.

3. Not only did I get my first night ride on The Beat, but it was also on the last train of the night! I was blown away.

• Like 9

2. Ohiocolts, were you at the park today? I know we've never met but I've seens pictures of you on here andI swear I saw you. Were you wearing a purple Coasting For Kids shirt? If that was you, then around 3 pm you walked right next to my parents and I eating under the shaded area in Action Zone.

Yes, that was me!

• Like 8

Well yesterday was an awesome trip. I stayed for the whole 12 hours they were open and got some amazing rides. They changed the charge of a locker to a minimum of 2 hours. I don't bring loose articles but my friend had a backpack. When we first got there we went straight to Banshee. It started sprinkling and some people actually got out of line. After Banshee we headed toward The Bat but it was closed and it started raining kind of hard. We got our stuff out of the locker and went for Adventure Express. The lines, I should say, were about 10 minutes all day. We rode The Racer after that and went for FoF. It was the only ride that was above 10 minutes, it was about 30 for FoF. We continued going around the park in this circle until we got to Diamondback. We rode Diamondback 4 times then went back to The Beast. We went back to Banshee about 8:00 and decided to just keep riding it until they closed. We rode 10 times and we got back in line at 9:56 and rode it one last time. When we were going up the hill, I saw that it was a full moon and then, BOOM. Fireworks were going off and it made the ride so much cooler! That was my #kibestday

• Like 7