Kings Island 2014 Discussion Thread

Nick_Plummer

Hello all. Took my annual KI visit for the P&G event today.

A friend took his first ride on Banshee - unfortunately, there appeared to be some sort of issue with the restraint locking mechanism on one of the trains, resulting on two trains full of people being stuck in the loading area for ~15 minutes. He said it was good apart from that.

WindSeeker was also closed for much of the afternoon, not sure why.

That's about all I have to report for now.

Edit: also, what happened to the arcade in Coney Mall adjacent to Monster? Is it gone for good or being renovated?

• Like 1

I drove (or rather, my mother drove and I rode) past KI today, down Kings Island Drive. It was so weird to see the park operating but not be able to go in.

WindSeeker was also closed for much of the afternoon, not sure why.

It was running when we drove past about 5:00, so apparently it did open at some point.

Edit: also, what happened to the arcade in Coney Mall adjacent to Monster? Is it gone for good or being renovated?

It's being turned into a Haunt attraction, apparently KillMart.

Saw Skeleton Crew last night, and I was hoping for a show on-par with CP's version. I was completely blown away! Great job KI on that show, it surpassed the CP version in every way. Awesome lighting, incredible performances, and it maintained the great soundtrack. If you haven't seen it you should, it'll be playing to packed houses soon. :D

• Like 5

Was at the park last night...didn't do any Haunts but I did take my girlfriend who is deathly terrified of roller coasters.

She agreed to try them for me since she knows I love them so much. What did she want to ride first? Diamondback.

I wanted to start her out small. I had The Bat, Adventure Express, or Backlot Stunt Coaster in mind but she wanted to do the tallest and fastest one first.

She absolutely loved it, and then we rode The Beast, Vortex, Flight of Fear, and Banshee after that- she loved those ones too and was so glad she overcame her biggest fear. She just texted me and is trying to get me and her to go back out there today and possibly Cedar Point before the end of the season.

For me and for her, it truly is #KIBestDay

• Like 13

We discussed that last night while in line for The Beast. She has a Gold Pass this year, and I think I have her sold on going Platinum in 2015.

Brian is wanting to go also as he's never been so it will be a great time for sure. I will be requesting that day when bidding for 2015 PTO begins for sure.

Hopefully, another trip to Kings Dominion to ride Intimidator 305 and a trip to NJFTP to get her on El Toro is in the works for 2015 also.

• Like 3

(I'm STILL trying to believe I got a 2015 Six Flags Gold Pass--good for admission and parking at all Six Flags dry parks--for less than the cost of two days parking alone or a single day admission at NJFTP! from Six Flags New England!)

I have a membership to Six Flags so I pay month-to-month until the year is up. Pretty sure that's what me, Lora, Dee, Rick and them did.

Parking at NJFTP was greater than $20 which I think is absolutely outrageous. I'd like that discount when my year is up!

• Like 2

And the old Holiday Horror was always built then taken down, same with the old slaughter house. Screws can be removed.

Of course they can, but I imagine the park wants to avoid it whenever possible. Because for each additional haunted house that has to be rebuilt every year, it's more labor that they have to pay for. Those things generally don't go up with props and effects and all over night, but if you can stick something in a building and keep it there year-round - Club Blood, Urgent Scare, etc. - you save a lot of time and money.

• Like 2

Well, for the first time since May, I'm headed back to KI today to use my season pass for the...3rd time this year. :P Hopefully I'll have a good time, but since every past visit I have had to Kings Island thus far has gone well and been fun (including a Haunt visit in 2010) even if it's been crowded. Expect a trip report fairly soon after. I would have liked to have used my season pass more this year but it was not to be. At least it's paid off (we did the payment plan). Looking forward to some late September night rides (so far, all I have been on after dark is The Beast and Vortex once....time to add more to that list!)

• Like 1

I do t know if this is the right topic, but Slaughterhouse: Reloaded looks like a lot of fun, but I'm not really into gore. Do I have to touch anything, kind of like how in Club Blood you have to push the dead guys hanging from the ceiling out of the way?

I do t know if this is the right topic, but Slaughterhouse: Reloaded looks like a lot of fun, but I'm not really into gore. Do I have to touch anything, kind of like how in Club Blood you have to push the dead guys hanging from the ceiling out of the way?

Yes. There are fake meats hanging from the ceiling in a few places that need to be pushed out of the way, as well as one of those plastic curtains like you might find in a walk-in freezer. There aren't many mazes where you don't. Outdoor haunts would be the only ones that come to mind, because there is no ceiling from which to hang things.

I wanted to start her out small. I had The Bat, Adventure Express, or Backlot Stunt Coaster in mind but she wanted to do the tallest and fastest one first.

She absolutely loved it, and then we rode The Beast, Vortex, Flight of Fear, and Banshee after that- she loved those ones too and was so glad she overcame her biggest fear. She just texted me and is trying to get me and her to go back out there today and possibly Cedar Point before the end of the season.

Marry her right now!

• Like 7

Yes. There are fake meats hanging from the ceiling in a few places that need to be pushed out of the way, as well as one of those plastic curtains like you might find in a walk-in freezer. There aren't many mazes where you don't. Outdoor haunts would be the only ones that come to mind, because there is no ceiling from which to hang things.

Right, but I was thinking more along the lines of fake body parts and such.

Why is Backwoods Bayou billed as a Fear Zone, but treated more like a Haunted Attraction? It was really annoying to try to go that way as a shortcut back to The Beast's area, only to realize it is one-way (unlike any of the other zones).

I was pleasantly surprised, though. I like a lot of the props through there and the actors weren't bad either.

• Like 4

So long as it is not a new for 2015 Gold Pass, sure.

New for next year passes get one free visit this year. Current passes and renewals get unlimited Haunt visits (but no same night re-entry).

Thank you. I was in a bit of a bind, I talked to both groups this summer and arranged to go to the Haunt, and didn't about pass limitations.

So if I renew this year's (2014) pass, I'll be allowed more than one visit next year?

Yes. And if you have a 2014 Gold pass, there is no limit on Haunt visits, just no same night re-entry during Haunt. It's regular passes that cannot be used during Haunt. A renewal of regular gets gold and gets one free 2014 visit. A Gold renewal doesn't have the one free visit...it is a renewal and season pass privileges....renew.