"The Boyz Are Back" - New Show at Kings Island

BoddaH1994

I know many of you ate dinner while watching "The Boyz Are Back." I was wondering what your thoughts were.

Personally, I never got caught up in the boy band thing since I'm a guy and all, but I have to admit that the show is more entertaining than I had thought it would be. I only knew about half of the songs, which was surprising since I came in under the impression that this was going to more or less be a 90's tribute show. While it did have Back Street Boys, New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men, etc, it had a lot of newer acts such as One Direction. The ending, (which was a One Direction segment, I think) seemed to get over really well. There were kids dancing in the aisles between the tables. I had never seen anything like that. I also thought the set was simple yet appropriate, the lighting looked great, and the choreography was fun to watch.

Over all... not really my type of music, but a really fun show. Any time there's a new show, it involves a gamble - and I'm sure this is no exception. If the reaction is as good all season as it was this evening, then it'll undoubtedly pay off.

More information

• Like 6

This is coming from a musician, so I may be picky on this, but the keys they had to help the singers be a bit more comfortable hurt some of the songs. I know they don't have the range as the musicians they're trying to emulate and other factors, but that kind of stuck out to me. Some of the N'sync and Backstreet Boys songs felt all wrong by the slight key changes compared to the originals.

I liked the high energy aspect of it and the crowd participation was also nice to see. Overall, I rather liked it.

• Like 2

This is coming from a musician, so I may be picky on this, but the keys they had to help the singers be a bit more comfortable hurt some of the songs. I know they don't have the range as the musicians they're trying to emulate and other factors, but that kind of stuck out to me. Some of the N'sync and Backstreet Boys songs felt all wrong by the slight key changes compared to the originals.

I liked the high energy aspect of it and the crowd participation was also nice to see. Overall, I rather liked it.

I know what you're talking about. Sometimes they'll sing at a lower octave in some cases to match their own musical abilities. That used to bother me a bit, but now I see the shows so often that when I hear the songs on the radio, the original ones don't sound right. :)

• Like 5

^Trust me, marching band arrangements are worse. We (the UC band) did One Direction's What Makes You Beautiful last year and I wanted to gouge my ear drums and burn all the music we had.

That's just the tip of the ice burg, but alas, a rant for another time.

• Like 2

Most of the music in the show is in their original keys though.

^Trust me, marching band arrangements are worse. We (the UC band) did One Direction's What Makes You Beautiful last year and I wanted to gouge my ear drums and burn all the music we had.

Why does marching band change the keys? Shouldn't instruments be able to play any key?

And you sound like you have perfect pitch if it bothers you passed the initial few notes. Like, I can usually notice if it's off, but it doesn't bother me once it's in the middle of the song and everything matches.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the show. It ranged from early '90's to today and it was entertaining. Easy to sing along to (be happy if you were not in ear shot of my singing!). The choice of music for what the shoe is about was decent.

Loved the audience participation and the energy of the show. I can only imagine this show improving as the season progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Any Video Up Yet For The People Who Cant make it to KI This Season? :(

I don't know if there is a video yet. I would hope they would give it a few weeks until they have had the opportunity to really nail the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does marching band change the keys? Shouldn't instruments be able to play any key?

And you sound like you have perfect pitch if it bothers you passed the initial few notes. Like, I can usually notice if it's off, but it doesn't bother me once it's in the middle of the song and everything matches.

The thing with marching bands, especially at the college/high school level is not everyone can play in every key. There are 4-5 keys which are in the comfort zone for most musicians of that level of experience. Now don't get me wrong, there are musicians in college and high school who do take it up a notch, take lessons, etc to get better. College bands are more varied in total performance level. For instance, UC's band takes pretty much anyone who can play an instrument out of high school. OSU's band on the other hand requires much more precision and finesse, they require an audition, and they're the better band because of it (a few other Big 10 school bands and ND's band follow that same mantra).

Also, I don't have perfect pitch, but I've been playing music long enough to notice things like the different keys music is played in, key changes, and the like. I do realize my initial criticisms were a bit picky as the music they used for the show still came off like its supposed to by they way they performed it and such. I still liked the show overall.

• Like 4

Having only played saxophone for 2 years before I left, and currently the keyboard (which is very capable in any key), I just didn't realize that playing certain keys with certain instruments was a roadblock for some people. Even difficult keys, usually with practice, is very do-able.

• Like 3

Watched the show today with Terp towards the end of the day.

Great choreography, one kid did two backflips in a row, excellent talent. Voices were very good, I have experienced better, but they did pull it off quite well.

As a guy, we won't enjoy the show that well, being honest I watched the girls and their excellent choreography more than anything. The music and guys (or should I say guyz) aren't there for us.

Great show this year after a few disappointing shows in the Festhaus. I will say I enjoyed how they came out into the actual Festhaus area during the show all the way to the tables where many guests sat, and even brought someone onstage as well.

• Like 3

I'm sure I will have to watch the show sometime this season. The wife is a huge fan of terrible Pop Music, especially Boy Bands which were all the rage when she was young. She recently went with a group of friends to see the real versions of NKOTB and some others.

Lol... so you're saying it's more of a guilty pleasure show? I can agree with that.
  • Like 1

The show was fine, aside from the problems already mentioned. But, how can you have a boy band show without Bell Biv DeVoe?

Well... it kind of had Bell Biv Devoe in it. One of the songs in the show is "Mr. Telephone Man" by New Edition, which a very young Bell, Biv & Devoe were a part of (along with Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill & Ralph Tresvant, of course). LoraX can tell you that I know that song!

I loved it! It was very good. A nine year old girl actually almost knocked me down because she thought they were actually One Direction.

When we heard the announcement for the show over the PA in the park, we were wondering how many people would think that One Direction was in the park performing. Ah, the naivety of youth...

Personally, I enjoyed the show more than I thought I would. I like how it started with songs from my high school years and worked up to the present. Of course, I liked the first part of the show slightly better since I actually listened to some of those groups back then. As I told BoddaH, I even saw two of the groups in Timberwolf back in the day: NKOTB twice, because somebody had to take my sister to that (and I was more than okay to sit there and watch Tiffany, who was the headlining act the first year then was demoted to opening act for NKOTB the next) and Boyz II Men, who opened for MC Hammer. The middle part of the show is alright with 98*, NSync & Backstreet Boys. The newer stuff... Jonas Brothers I couldn't care less about, I can't stand The Wanted's "I'm Glad You Came," but One Direction's stuff is catchy.

Production wise, the lighting was very well done, the singing was good and like devarious, for some reason I tended to watch the dancers more than I looked at the singers. :lol:

• Like 4

The show was fine, aside from the problems already mentioned. But, how can you have a boy band show without Bell Biv DeVoe?

Well... it kind of had Bell Biv Devoe in it. One of the songs in the show is "Mr. Telephone Man" by New Edition, which a very young Bell, Biv & Devoe were a part of (along with Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill & Ralph Tresvant, of course). LoraX can tell you that I know that song!

Yes, but that's like saying Peter Gabriel IS Genesis. The show needs more New Jack Swing!

• Like 2